Thread: amoxicillin and rash wwyd?

Default amoxicillin and rash wwyd?

Adam has a double ear infection and started amoxicillin last Thursday. His fever was 103.5 from Wed night through Monday. Today, (Tuesday) he hasn't had a fever at all but has a rash. I called the pharmacist who said to stop the antibiotic immediately and call ds's Dr. The office was closed today but I talked with the nurse on the after-hours line. She said it's common to get a rash while on amoxicillin and to keep giving him the antibiotic but call his dr in the morning.

I skipped one dose because of what the pharmacist said but after talking to the nurse and consulting Dr. Google I decided to give him another dose. Well, the rash was worse within minutes...could literally see it spreading but no other signs of an allergic response (the nurse said to go to er immediately if he develops a fever, severe diarrhea, or wheezing). He's also *miserable* when he's awake which has been barely at all (very unlike him...he's never been a sleeper, even when he's sick). He has no fever but I've been giving him tylenol for his ear pain. Oh, and the rash is itchy...he's been rubbing the spots a lot but the nurse said not to give him benadryl since he's too young (10months).

My oldest is allergic to amoxicillin but her reaction was after 2 doses...she had hives and wheezing.

Would you give your LO another dose in the morning like the nurse said or would you go with the pharmacist? The nurse's explanation was "the benefits of the antibiotic outweigh the risk of the current reaction". But I'm concerned about giving him one dose too many and ending up with an emergency situation.

Thoughts?

I'm calling his pedi in the morning.

No. There are other antibiotics out there. Just not worth the risk.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I would not give him another dose. Leave a message with the doctor's office about the reactions (and what advice you were given), and ask for a different antibiotic. Allergic reactions tend to get worse with more exposures.

Thanks ladies! Is it possible this sleepiness is part of the reaction? He has not slept this much since he was a newborn.

No, I would definitely stop the antibiotics. He's probably tuckered out from his body trying to fight the infection, and then the allergic reaction. I'm sure he needs some sleep.
    Vicki 39 DH45 SD12 SS9
    DS Hudson Sept 23, 2009!
    DS Trevor July 29, 2012!
    "Fat babies have no pride" - Lyle Lovett

No, I don't know any of the Jersey Shore cast.

We found out Kairi was allergic to amox. She had an awful, aggry rash that traveled from her trunk to her extremities. She also had nausea and diarrhea. We took her to the ER and they wanted her off the antibiotics immediately. Definitely stop them!

no way. My oldest is allergic to amox. You can get a different abx. I think it's ridiculous that the nurse told you to continue giving it when there was an obvious allergioc reaction. I would ask what benedryl dose you can give as well.

ETA: sorry didn't realize they said no benedryl although there should be a dose that is safe to give based on his weight...
    Last edited by macksmom; 01-02-2013 at 08:00 AM.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

how old is your baby? my baby had had it 3 times and on her 3rd time of having it and day 8 was when she reacted. She had what they call a late reaction to amoxicillin. Now she cannot have it at all. She was 16months old when she had it and her dosage of benedryl we were instructed to give her was 1-2ml(a tiny amount)...she weighed 26lbs at the time I think.

I agree, I would definitely stop and I ahve no idea what the heck that nurse was advising, but I would let your pedi know. That's nuts. Most of the time they are overly cautions and err on the side of caution...clearly she must not have been listening to you.

and I also agree his sleepiness was probably more not feeling well and tuckered out...not the rash and such...

hang in there, mama!

Jenny~ Mama to Katelyn(7), Ben(my angel in Heaven, 6), Megan(5), Allie(2years), Nora(8m)

My DD is also allergic to amox. She reacted with full body hives, and they were itchy. Pharmacist told me to stop the meds immediately, urgent care pedi told me to continue to give them to her!! The child still had hives on her body even after Benadryl and steroids, and the pedi gave me instruction to dose her with Benadryl every 4 hours and sent us home with more steroids just in case.... but still said to finish the amox We left there and I was 1,000,000x positive we would NOT be following that drs advice.
    A call the next morning to her regular pedi confirmed my feelings on it- they said absolutely do NOT finish the meds, they treat just about any rash while on abx as an allergy. They switched out her abx to another one (that they said she could still react to, but that most kids don't) and she had no issues with that one.

Its very common for amoxicillin to cause a rash that is not an allergic reaction. Typically the rash needs to be seen by a doctor to ensure that it is in fact an amoxicillin rash and not hives. Typically the amoxicillin rash starts about 7 days into the abx and can last for around 4-5 days after the last dose. It is also very common to confuse the two. The nurse shouldn't have made that call without looking at the rash and usually a plan amoxicillin rash doesn't itch. If it were my child I would have continued the medication and made an appointment with my pedi being sure to watch for signs of anaphylaxis.

yes yes and yes...100% to all. They are little, no reason to risk that sort of reaction at all, and in my opinion there are other options besides the pennicilin family to treat infections and until older it seems to me to make more sense and use something else...
    Quote Originally Posted by MomOfAnOnly View Post
    My DD is also allergic to amox. She reacted with full body hives, and they were itchy. Pharmacist told me to stop the meds immediately, urgent care pedi told me to continue to give them to her!! The child still had hives on her body even after Benadryl and steroids, and the pedi gave me instruction to dose her with Benadryl every 4 hours and sent us home with more steroids just in case.... but still said to finish the amox We left there and I was 1,000,000x positive we would NOT be following that drs advice.
    A call the next morning to her regular pedi confirmed my feelings on it- they said absolutely do NOT finish the meds, they treat just about any rash while on abx as an allergy. They switched out her abx to another one (that they said she could still react to, but that most kids don't) and she had no issues with that one.

Jenny~ Mama to Katelyn(7), Ben(my angel in Heaven, 6), Megan(5), Allie(2years), Nora(8m)

Agreed with all. My pedi had us discontinue amox immediately when he reacted (this was probably the 3rd time in his life he'd been on it and never reacted before.) Once we brought him in they looked at the rash and gave us omnicef instead. He then reacted with a separate rash to that, and they had me just discontinue all antibiotics at that point since he'd had a full week or whatever of the two combined. I don't believe they even wanted to see him for the second rash, just noted in his chart that he was allergic to both and to only bring him back in if the infection seemed to come back.

[/CENTER]

Kelly, our pedi had us give Nolan a dose of Benedryl based on his weight when he got hives from his egg allergy. I don't want to try and tell you to go ahead and dose him, but I think our pedi told us 1.25 ml, no more than twice in 24 hrs. I could be slightly off, but that's what I remember. Of course you'll want to look into that more, but Nolan was at 22 lbs...
    ~Andrea~

Thank you so much for the replies!! You ladies are awesome!

I stopped giving the abx and made an appt this morning. Adam's rash looks *awful* today...he's completely covered and itchy! Pedi said it's an allergic reaction. She said normally she prescribes augmentin for kids with amox allergy but was concerned he'd react to that too and we wouldn't be able to tell due to the current rash. She peeked in his ears and said he still needs something...they look better but not good enough to forego abx so she prescribed zithromax which she said isn't her favorite for ear infections but hopefully it'll take care of what's left of the infection without inducing a further reaction.

She also said to give him benadryl every four hours until the rash clears. She seemed annoyed that the nurse told me not to give it to him.

My poor baby! Hoping this will take care of it without any further complications. His temp was starting to go up again this morning...I'm assuming from not having the abx. I'm still giving him tylenol a few times per day for the ear pain.

Thanks again everyone!

isn't augmentin a combo with amoxicillin in it? http://www.drugs.com/augmentin.html

You may want to call the pedi. and ask if they can call in some Antipyrine & Benzocaine Otic. It's an eardrop that will take the pain away so you don't have to give him tylenol. It worked GREAT when my twins had a double ear infection back in Oct.

*Kimberly* Mommy to Hayden (7), Alexis (5), Makenzie & Brooke (18m)!
    Looking for some bows for your little one? check us out --> www.sweetnsassycouture.com

My husband is severely allergic to penicillin/ amoxicillian. He had rashes and wheezing during infancy when he was given amoxicillian. Defiantly stop the medicine and ask for a different medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by sookie4415 View Post
    isn't augmentin a combo with amoxicillin in it? http://www.drugs.com/augmentin.html
    Yup. I have no idea why any doctor would even consider prescribing Augmentin for someone with Amoxicillin allergy.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Yup. I have no idea why any doctor would even consider prescribing Augmentin for someone with Amoxicillin allergy.
    That's what I thought! I kept thinking that was the one with amox in it but forgot to look it up when I got home!! Strange! I sure miss my former pedi

poor guy My DD has gotten zithromax and it has helped whatever her illness was. Luckily my kids have been on abx only a handful of times so I don't know how well it works for different illnesses. Hope he feels better soon. Maybe an oatmeal bath will help the rash?
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)