Thread: Can't handle another surgery

Default Can't handle another surgery

I am so nervous...I think DD3 may have a fused labia. I was examining down there during a diaper change today (she had a previous surgery and I was seeing if part of it had healed) and the opening of her vag is not fully open. It is in kind of 2 parts with the middle touching Is that considered a fused labia and if so please tell me there is no surgery involved!

When she was born, some of you may remember, she had what is called an analplasty. Her anal opening was too close to her vagina and it had to be moved. The surgery did not involve her vag at all it was just the anus. It was a fairly minor surgery but I was a nervous wreck and a complete mess. She was only 2 weeks old I feel so badly that she has so many problems in that area!

So is what I am describing a fused labia and if so is it fixed surgically? Anyone have experience with this? I have read it's fairly common.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Blog Entries

My DD has that a lot. We've had to treat with estrogen cream a few times but noe I am just ignoring it. Crummy sensitive skin!
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

I hope it is nothing. Just offering hugs. I can understand how difficult and scary it is for you. I dont know how close pedis look into little girls private parts but our pedi always looks at their balls, every well visit, and just the private area closely, inlcluding the penises for any probs. I would think they would look into her privates closely especially since she had analplasty.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

nope, no surgery.

Ah what a relief to hear (and google) that creams seem to be the treatment of choice. I will point it out to the pedi at our next visit.

She does check her diaper area but i think she doesnt as much as she would normally because she knows we follow up with the surgeon. I am not sure when this occurred but i think it was fairly recent. Not surprising too since i am reading it can be a result of frequent rashes which plagued us for the first 6 months of her life! We have finally been rash free for the longest stretch so far and now this poor baby.

How long to clear up with the cream?

Hugs Mama..

IT'S A BOY!!!

Marissa 12, Peyton 7, Jayden 5 and #4 due 7/4/2014

Blog Entries

My oldest had that. Her pedi had me put vaseline on it at diaper changes. It took a while...over a year, but it finally separated. I was nervous too!

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

It's so tempting to just try to pull it apart because it's only fused at one tiny spot but I would be SO afraid of hurting her so I would never but it's tempting! I hate that she has so many problems in that area!

Blog Entries

When she only had a partial adhesion the doctor did say to firmly wipe downward over the area to see if a lttle friction would help. In our case it did not. The cream for us has always worked within a week but I haven't done anything with the area for a year and wanted to tackle it post complete potty training. The friction of walking is supposed to help as is being rash free.
    Last edited by JJorn; 01-02-2013 at 12:43 PM. Reason: crummy autocorrect
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.

Sounds like an adhesion. Estrogen creams have serious side effects, and are almost always unnecessary. Adhesions separate on their own once her estrogen levels increase naturally toward puberty. If it isn't causing problems, you might consider leaving it alone. Two of my daughters had vaginal adhesions. It's fairly common. For my first the doctor was always prescribing the estrogen cream with all these warnings about using too much for too long. Then I did more research and realized it wasn't necessary so I stopped. I never used it for my other daughter and the adhesions separated on their own and they never had any other issues.
    Mary Jane, doula and mom of Vada, Brynna, Tea, Moira, Kyan, Ambria, Aslan, and Anakin.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~ Dr. Seuss

Blog Entries

Were they complete adhesions? I really don't want to do the cream anymore especially since this just keeps coming back for her.

Have the pediatrician check everything out. Poor baby girl.

Quote Originally Posted by JJorn View Post
    Were they complete adhesions? I really don't want to do the cream anymore especially since this just keeps coming back for her.
    Yes. I discussed it with my ped too. He said that as long as they weren't interfering with her using the bathroom, then it was fine for it to wait. The creams are only a temporary solution. Adhesions aren't abnormal. I wish that doctors would stop treating them that way. It's not much different than doctors who forcefully retract boys' foreskins because they don't understand that the foreskin naturally separated. Vaginal adhesions are the same. When a girl gets close to puberty her body will naturally produce more estrogen which will cause the adhesions to separate. It's unnecessary to worry with it until then. Especially considering the risks associated with estrogen creams.
    Mary Jane, doula and mom of Vada, Brynna, Tea, Moira, Kyan, Ambria, Aslan, and Anakin.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~ Dr. Seuss

Sending you a pm.
    Dee Dee, Mom to 2 handsome young men & 2 beautiful girls!

Poor babe...I'm sure the cream will fix her right up.

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (6) and Jericho (3 1/2)

Thanks for all the advice and sympathy. I am so glad I asked because now I have lots of info to present the pedi with. One thing that might worry me about leaving it alone is that it will get worse and that once she is out of diapers I wont know if it's more fused or if it fixed itself. And on that topic - how would one know? My oldest is 6 and I suppose she could have one too. I don't see her down there. Do you advise your daughter to check herself? Does the doc check her? Does she go to a gyno? I don't remember when I had my first gyno visit. I'd like to avoid uncomfortable exams for them before they are stuck getting them for the rest of their lives...