Thread: Not Taking the Bottle

Default Not Taking the Bottle

My little man is not taking a bottle. We've tried several times. He was somewhat taking a latex bottle, but not anymore. I've tried a few other bottles and nipples. He doesn't seem to be interested at all. I was thinking about introducing juice soon. I'm just not sure how. Should I try a sippy cup and see what he thinks? I'm not really in a rush, but any good advice would be appreciated.

Why do you need to introduce juice?

I wouldn't give him juice at his age. He's too young yet.
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!

The pedi mentioned it since he goes so long without a bowel. He doesn't strain or anything. I was a little hesitant about it. I guess that's why I'm not in a hurry.

It's normal to go a long time. I wouldn't use juice either. If you don't need a bottle, I'd just try a sippy with a soft spout without the valve or use a straw. Probably around 6 months.

The only bottle I could get DD to take at that age was MAM bottles. As for juice, I would wait on that.

with constipation, our doctor did have us add a little prune juice to the milk but that was limited. It was more like adding juice to milk not adding milk to juice, if that makes sense? Anyway, that did work to gently solve the problem.

On the bottles, at 3 mos, they're still sucking, i think, so you could do the sippies, but maybe sticking with the bottles makes sense? Does he like pacifiers? Could you limit those so when he wants to suck, he goes for the bottle nipple instead? (Attached to the bottle or otherwise?) That might make him swallow too much air, though (?), so maybe that's a good opportunity to try the milk again?

We had dr browns and had no issue with those throughout. I know that doesn't help, but stupid me, i didn't even realize that there were nipples of different flows until we'd finished with them. Maybe your son needs a nipple where he doesn't have to work so hard to get the milk? One of the 2 or 3 level ones? And then you can gradually move back to the slower flow if he gets used to them and if he seems to be burping it up too often?

It is recommended for constipation sometimes, but he doesn't sound constipated at all. I just would keep doing what you are doing

You could give him small amounts of diluted juice off of a spoon or in a small little dixie cup for constipation. Search cup feeding on you tube to learn more how it works.
    Last edited by Nurse2008; 01-04-2013 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ibisgirldc View Post
    with constipation, our doctor did have us add a little prune juice to the milk but that was limited. It was more like adding juice to milk not adding milk to juice, if that makes sense? Anyway, that did work to gently solve the problem.

On the bottles, at 3 mos, they're still sucking, i think, so you could do the sippies, but maybe sticking with the bottles makes sense? Does he like pacifiers? Could you limit those so when he wants to suck, he goes for the bottle nipple instead? (Attached to the bottle or otherwise?) That might make him swallow too much air, though (?), so maybe that's a good opportunity to try the milk again?

We had dr browns and had no issue with those throughout. I know that doesn't help, but stupid me, i didn't even realize that there were nipples of different flows until we'd finished with them. Maybe your son needs a nipple where he doesn't have to work so hard to get the milk? One of the 2 or 3 level ones? And then you can gradually move back to the slower flow if he gets used to them and if he seems to be burping it up too often?
    You do make sense.

He won't even take a pacifier. He only wants me. I don't mind, but it's only healthy for me to have mommy time every now and then.

Blog Entries

I'd say keep trying with the bottle for sure (I agree juice is probably not necessary yet but I don't have experience with a constipated baby). My youngest never did take a bottle. That's probably not what you wanted to hear...sorry! But after hearing her scream when DH tried to give it to her many times we just gave up and I nursed her until she weaned. I'm home so it wasn't a big deal for me. I have friends, however, whose baby refused the bottle for some time. She simply wouldn't eat until her mom came home from work in the late afternoon. This lasted maybe a month, then she warmed up to bottles, much to her dad's relief (who was home with her all day).

Good luck!!

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

If he is 100% breastfed he is unlkely to be constipated. breast fed babies can go a long time between bowl movements just because they use everything up, especially during a growth spurt. You can do things like bicycle his legs, or message his tummy if he really seems in distress. I would not give juice at his age. Out might be necessity for some babies on formula, which is inherently constipating because of the cows milk protien and iron. But not in a breast fed baby.

I have not given my last 5 babies a bottle after breast feeding was established. I just moved directly to a sippy cup when they stated eating solids. And I have only given water to drink until they are 2+ yrs old, and then only as a treat. So in my opinion neither water nor juice is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by CorpsmanWife View Post
    You do make sense.

He won't even take a pacifier. He only wants me. I don't mind, but it's only healthy for me to have mommy time every now and then.
    been there so i know how you feel. my lil girl refused a bottle and will only take a sippy cup if shes starving for food. shes now 9 months old and never took a bottle. i started a sippy cup around 5 months and she has only water in it and sips out of it just fine.
    mommy time comes only during nap and right after shes nursed down to bed.
    i am a sahm and naptime is the only mommy time i get.
    Last edited by froggie83; 01-03-2013 at 10:15 AM.

Thankfully my youngest is taking a bottle, but mostly my time away is 2-3 hours and she just doesn't eat while I'm gone. Especially now that she's 6 months old, she is happy playing and interfacing with DH and the other kids UNTIL she hears or sees me. That's when she is suddenly starving. I told DH this week that I love that I bf but I don't feel like bf right now. This is the first time I was a sahm from the start and 6 months of being the only source of nutrition is tiring. Don't get me wrong, I got sick of pumping at work with the others too, but I am all "touched out". I need to make her some food to try this week. DH loves feeding the kids and I suddenly feel a little less pressure as the sole satisfier of hunger cries. It is good to get a break and get refreshed. I'm normally away from her for 1.5 hours for a mom's group on Mondays and about 2 hours on Tuesdays while taking my oldest to gymnastics. Those haven't happened for two weeks and I think I'm ready for my little breaks again! Just start with shorter times away where you can get home quickly and see how it goes.

Thank you, Ladies! I am holding off on the juice! I think I will hold off on the bottle as well. I wouldn't mind going straight to a sippy. My DD didn't give up the bottle until she was 2. DS is very sporadic right now. One minute I think he's had enough and down for a 2 hour nap, so I run to the store to find out he woke up right after I left. My DH is wonderful and really tries to meet his needs while I'm gone. I'm never gone long. By the time I get back DH has rocked him to sleep. Then he smells me and starts screaming.

My sister has a Nuby sippy that says it is for 4 months and up so I think you could definitely skip the bottle if you wanted to. We have given just water to Harrison for constipation, per the pedi. He had some severe constipation from very early on so we also give him white grape juice mixed with water (about 1/2 ounce juice with 1 oz water) when just water isn't working. I had to use juice with Olivia who was also severely constipated as well. I preferred that to the prune juice because it is lighter in color and didn't stain bibs/clothes if the kiddos dribble when they drink it. Gerber makes little tiny bottles (in the baby section) of it so you don't have to buy a whole big jug if you only need to give a tiny bit every once in a while.

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)