Thread: Abnormal quad screen

Hybrid View

jenteel212 Guest

Default Abnormal quad screen

I am 39, and currently 18 weeks pregnant with my third child. I had the quad screen done a few days before Christmas. I was told that my quad screen came back positive with me having a 1:108 chance of having a child with downs syndrome. I am very upset, having no prior issues with my bloodwork and my other two children. I was given the option of having a new blood test called materniT21, which has reportedly has the same accuracy as an amnio. I have to wait 2-3 weeks for the results. I am anxiety ridden to say the least. Is there anyone else out there that has had this test?

Blog Entries

That test is fairly common and there is no such thing as a negative test - you will always get the odds that your child has one of those illnesses. I skip that test for that very reason. An ultrasound which routinely happens around 20 weeks will let you know if your child has downs syndrome. I would personally wait for a real yes or no before getting upset.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    Check out our business, JRSolutions.

jenteel212 Guest

I am trying. I should have the results of the materniT21 and the level 2 u/s around the same time. Untill then I am praying.

Blog Entries

It has to be hard not to worry. Think of those odds in a different way if you can. Out of 108 and at children whose mother had those results, 107 of them won't have downs. Those are very good odds if you ask me.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    Check out our business, JRSolutions.

jenteel212 Guest

The results of my maternit21 came back today, and they were negative for any chromosomal defects. I cannot believe how fortunate we are. I would urge anyone out there to forgo the quad screen, and inquire about the non invasive maternit21 test. They told me it would take 2-3 weeks for the results, and I actually got them back in 8 days. I am so grateful this test was available to us. It allowed us to skip having an invasive amnio, and risking a miscarriage with a perfectly healthy baby!!!