Thread: Rising HCG falling progesterone??

Default Rising HCG falling progesterone??

I got my blood results back today. I'm still not sure how far along I am, but my best guess is 4-4.5 weeks. My beta went from 290 to 909, but my progesterone dropped from 13.5 to 10.1. The doctor didn't seem too concerned, but she is putting me on prometrium suppositories. She said it could potentially be a red flag, but she was optimistic given the good HCG. This would be my third m/c and I am so nervous. Does anyone have any words of wisdom or experiences to share, positive or negative??

Progesterone is one of those things that there isn't any clear evidence on and testing/treating is somewhat controversial. In 8 pregnancies (6 babies) I have never had a progesterone level checked (that I am aware of anyway).
    There isn't any strong evidence that low levels result in miscarriage, and from what I have read over the years, it is also normal for it to fluctuate a bit from one draw to another, also not an indication of pregnancy. There also isn't strong evidence that taking progesterone when levels are low prevents miscarriage.

But, I have seen and heard women say that they had several miscarriages until they were given progesterone, so it is possible that for some people it is important to take a supplement, so if I were in your shoes I would consider using it. But the hcg levels are fantastic, so clearly the pregnancy is advancing normally and I don't think you have anything to worry about at this point.

I had my beta and progesterone tested again yesterday, and found out today that all is progressing "perfectly"! My beta went up to 49,000, and she didn't tell me my prog. but said it looked "great." I know I should be relieved and excited, but I can't stop worrying. I'm getting an u/s tomorrow since we don't have a way to measure the dates (since there was no period between miscarriage and conception) and I am so nervous that there will be nothing on the u/s. All I can do now is pray I suppose. I really appreciate any words of encouragement, thoughts, and prayers.

Good luck momma! I too had a miscarriage between my daughter and this baby. I even had a scare at the beginning with bleeding and not seeing anything on the u/s. all is fine! Fingers crossed this is your sticky bean!

Mommy to Piper 6/5/09 and an 11/2011
    Make a pregnancy ticker

Good luck on your ultrasound!!! I'll be thinking of you!