22 26.19%
  • yes, but something part time

41 48.81%
  • no

20 23.81%
  • Other

1 1.19%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you work outside the home with school aged children if you didn't need to?

Yes, I would! Especially since full day kinder...and you are a teacher so your hours would not be crazy long, and would coincide with your kids school (well, major ones, summer/Christmas/Spring break, etc) Sounds like a great opportunity to go back to work!

I also wanted to add that people IME assume different things by "I dont need to work". For some, that means paying the bills, some savings and some retirement. For others, it is more savings, full retirement, half of kids college etc. I dont know if you have seen a financial planner. In our area, it is estimated that a couple with 2 children needs close to 3 mil to retire comfortably. Obviously, it might take less depending on life expectancy etc. It is also expected that college cost will rise significantly. So many people who do not consider these factors IRL here think they can easily afford the wife to stay home forever and some time down the road face an ugly reality. If you have not met with a financial planner (most banks here have one for free for their customers), I would do so before making any big decisions. It could be that you would like to revisit your plans or it could be that you are very well on track and you might actually consider some charitable work.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

I would probably work part-time. Hubby insists I return to work to maximize our income once Eve starts Kinder. I need to start putting towards my retirement, more money for the kids' savings, bigger family vacations, etc. I would need to do something to contribute if I had the free time whether it be from home or out of the home. The school district we are in now provides before and after school care for not much at all so it would be worth it to me. I miss my old job at times, but not sure if I would attempt to return to that career or not.
    Our Family <3 Est. July 2007 <3
    Samuel (5 years), Elliott (3 years), and Evelyn (1 year).

Would, and do. I work "part time", which in my world is 50 hours a week.

Quote Originally Posted by tanyachap View Post
    I also wanted to add that people IME assume different things by "I dont need to work". For some, that means paying the bills, some savings and some retirement. For others, it is more savings, full retirement, half of kids college etc. I dont know if you have seen a financial planner. In our area, it is estimated that a couple with 2 children needs close to 3 mil to retire comfortably. Obviously, it might take less depending on life expectancy etc. It is also expected that college cost will rise significantly. So many people who do not consider these factors IRL here think they can easily afford the wife to stay home forever and some time down the road face an ugly reality. If you have not met with a financial planner (most banks here have one for free for their customers), I would do so before making any big decisions. It could be that you would like to revisit your plans or it could be that you are very well on track and you might actually consider some charitable work.
    I agree with this. 75% of the elderly poor are women. Our life expectancies are getting longer, and most of us will not have a safety net like SS to lean on (not that it pays a huge amount in the first place). I feel that whether we like what we hear or not, it is extremely important to sit down and crunch the numbers. Even online calculators would be a good start. I don't want to be in the position of having to work when I'm 80 because I do not have other options.
    Last edited by Suja; 01-01-2013 at 10:29 PM.

If it was not necessary, I would not return to work. I am a teacher, and I already dread going back in 5 years. We could survive day-to-day with one income, but we are not putting as much as we would like to towards retirement or college. That is the bigger reason why I will most likely return to work. If DH's salary increases significantly by the time DS2 goes to 1st grade (we have 1/2 day kinder), then I will consider PT work where my salary will be used solely for long-term savings and other shorter-term savings (like saving for a bathroom remodel, or things we are putting off that arent necessary right now) instead of returning to FT teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by hotpinkmomma0811 View Post
    $50 an hour for how many hours a week?

It really all depends. Some weeks all I end up doing is sending a few emails, the next week I'm stuck at my computer for days on end. But I'm paid per project/client, not per hour.

Quote Originally Posted by tanyachap View Post
    excellent advice. between helping one's family and kids (even if one doesn't believe in college education) and retirement, most of us won't have enough. It's not likely that any of us will see a dime of social security so if anyone not saving and investing is screwed. I know that i need to be saving more; for me personally, that's a huge reason that I couldn't stop working now, even if there were a way to exist today on one salary.

I voted other. I guess I should have voted, maybe part time?

I'd always planned on going back to work when the kids were in school, then it got closer to them all being in school FT (Jay is still in PreK) and I decided that no, I wanted to stay home. That I wanted to be a lot more involved in their school. Helping out in classrooms, going on field trips, being here in case the kids needed me. Helping out in classrooms alone can be a lot. I'd already volunteered to help out in Peytons class once a week for reading and that was just one thing, not even including special activities. I was so excited about it.

Then DH lost his job. Fortunately, he found another job, working from home. It's going to end up being better financially, plus he's home with us.. BUT.. he doesn't have insurance anymore. So, I have to go to work, full time, to get us insurance. I'm a little upset about it because I was really looking forward to being able to do the things listed above and now I will be working 4 week days and a weekend day so that will leave me one day during the week to help out at school but.. gotta do what ya gotta do.

At the same time, I really enjoyed doing what I did, even tho it wasn't a career (decorating cakes, working under my best friend). So part time would be nice. It would get me out of the house and with adults, and not just doing Mommy things for 1/2 the week and leave me time still to be able to do the Mommy things (plus with DH now working at home, we'd go nuts if we didn't get a break from each other lol). So If I could choose, I'd choose PT work.

IT'S A BOY!!!

Marissa 12, Peyton 7, Jayden 5 and #4 due 7/4/2014

When the kids are still young and in school, I will probably look for something part time - maybe a teacher's aide or even volunteering in classrooms/school office at my kids' school. Eventually I would like to go back to teaching my own classroom, but will probably wait until they are a bit older and more self-sufficient to take on a full classroom teaching job again. When they are little, I want to be available to help out in their classrooms, go on field trips, be home with them if they are sick, etc. We shall see, though. Once they are both in school, I might find that I can actually get the house cleaned, errands run, and stay quite busy with other home projects once they are in school for the day! lol

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

I voted go back to work. But I'm in the position of some ladies that I have a career that I put a lot of time and money into and really like it.
    It's one thing to be home and chasing after young children but if they aren't home, I don't know what I would do. You can only clean the house so much. It's hard enough for me to lose weight but if I was at home all the time, it would be awful on my diet and I would gain too much weight. Being at work is so much easier for me diet wise (I'm at a desk but don't eat at the desk and don't have coworkers who bring in treats very often....and I pack a healthy lunch from home).

I would also never want to put the stress on my DH of being the only income.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

If we don't have another, after DS goes to school, I will get a part-time job because I still want to be heavily involved with his school functions. Plus I don't have any family nearby to help with picking him up, sick days, etc. I also remember my mom doing the same thing and I think it had a big impact on my up bringing. My parents were smart enough to save up for my college and their retirement while also putting family first. As an adult, I see how their marriage and our family were a priority and well worth the investment.

Only you can make this decision, but from your post it sounds like finding something part-time might be the route to take. Best of wishes which ever way you go!
    Angela, Andrew & Nicholas

Three sweet angels in heaven

Yes, part time.

*Kimberly* Mommy to Hayden (7), Alexis (5), Makenzie & Brooke (18m)!
    Looking for some bows for your little one? check us out --> www.sweetnsassycouture.com

I'm a SAHM and we do not need my income. Right now I sell Scentsy on the side to give us a little more fun money. The only time it takes me out of the home is when I want it to. I would not go back to work. I'm thankful that I have my degree and that I could always fall back on it but I have always wanted to be a stay at home mommy to my babies and when they are in school I want to be able to work on the projects that I can not get done by having kids at home. We also do not feel that our family is complete. My kids will be 4 and 1 this month and in about a year we will probably start trying for baby #3. I also want to be home even when my kids are all grown and have kids of their own. I want them to call me if they need me to watch their kids last minute and be able to do so. We do just fine with my DH's income and he gets a raise every year and every tech level he goes up more so money for us is not an issue.

If it wasn't a necessity, I don't think I would go back to work. Growing up my mom worked and it always upset me and I felt like I was second fiddle to her job. Obviously now I realize the importance of her working, but it took me a long time to get there.
    At the same time, no matter how much my DH makes, I don't think we would ever be in a position where I would be comfortable not working. Things are just too expensive these days to risk it.

Quote Originally Posted by preciousnd98 View Post
    When the kids are still young and in school, I will probably look for something part time - maybe a teacher's aide or even volunteering in classrooms/school office at my kids' school. Eventually I would like to go back to teaching my own classroom, but will probably wait until they are a bit older and more self-sufficient to take on a full classroom teaching job again. When they are little, I want to be available to help out in their classrooms, go on field trips, be home with them if they are sick, etc. We shall see, though. Once they are both in school, I might find that I can actually get the house cleaned, errands run, and stay quite busy with other home projects once they are in school for the day! lol
    That is an idea we are toying with too. I used to teach a low-income, urban setting, and that is my preference, but the commute would really suck, taking up almost 2 hours a day, and while I didn;t mind that pre-kids, I know I don't want that now. So, I may end up trying to get an aide or substitute position in my or a neighboring school district so that my hours would be less and/or more flexible, and I could get a foot in the door in a school district where I would eventually like to work as a classroom teacher. I don't know what it's like where you are, but that is how most get jobs around here. Also, as a classroom teacher, I took home a lot of work, with grading, and planning, and I would much rather take on those roles when the kids are older and I could complete those tasks while they are completing their own homework, doing their own chores, playing on their own, etc. 5-6 year olds still need a lot of attention!

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    I would, and do. I absolutely loathe housework, and while I enjoy spending time with DD, there is only so much of it
    I can do before I can feel my brain rotting away. I also believe that women should have their own source of income and be self sufficient, and be able to save for retirement independently of the spouse or SO. The statistics on finances of women is absolutely horrific.
    I agree.

I will work probably until I can't anymore. I don't like being a SAHM, it is too boring for me and not stimulating. I enjoy spending time with the kids but not projects at home and not cleaning and not meal planning, none of that stuff.

Plus I was raised with the mindset that I need to be able to always take care of myself financially. That is just something that was drilled into me. Even though I don't ever see myself and DH divorcing or anything like that, I do not count on him to take care of me financially and don't expect him to like another poster mentioned. I also don't ever want him to even have a hint in his mind that he is doing something extraordinary in regards to taking care of us financially. I was a SAHM for a few years and didn't really enjoy it. During that time I worked from home for my savings money. I need to have at least $1 million when I retire and that is my goal. Like the other ladies mentioned, I don't expect SS to be there for me and I expect to outlive my DH and even though it may sound morbid, he could die at any second and even though we have life insurance, I wouldn't want to be in any financial straits if he were to die suddenly.

I enjoy working so more than likely always will. I don't even have a "career" that I love right now. I just like to keep busy and I like making money. I still volunteer quite a bit and I attend all the events at my kid's school so even if I was a full time mom, I wouldn't be doing anything different than what I am doing except having more time to clean, which is something I loathe anyway lol.

FWIW, I do plan on making myself more available at home within the next few years as my son becomes a teenager. I think it is more important to be plugged in and my nosy self when my kids are teens versus babies lol.

Erin

Yes, I taught school. My goal as of now is to go back but at their school. Not sure if that will happen though. I've decided to sub next year at their school to get my foot in the door. Hopefully it will help me get a position there. just wondering what others would do. It will feel so strange having both gone next year on my days home. I'm hoping subbing will keepe very busy

I've never worked and with what DH does for a living I will likely never have to. Still, once my kids are school aged I intend on doing some higher education and pursuing a career, I think that it will be good for me as a person. Of course I can get the same fulfillment from volunteerism and being involved with their school, so who knows what I'll do when the time actually comes.
    Last edited by Dreya; 01-02-2013 at 02:15 PM.
    Megan (29) and Jayson (31) Happily married 9 years

I voted no. I left the job that i LOVED shortly after giving birth to our second child. I always thought I'd wanna go back, but I don't think I would. I love being able to go to my DD1's excursions, volunteering and DS's school, etc. This school year was difficult to make it to all the excursions because of our Littlest's arrival (DD2). I am also soo tied up with kid life (DH is gone half the month so I feel like a single mother of 3 at times) that I can't wait to have time to myself. I want to exercise when I want, I wanna go hiking, I wanna hit the beach. Selfish? Maybe, but I need some me time that I don't ever get. I shaved my legs for the first time in over 2 months the other day. Thank goodness I'm not a hairball
    Autumn (me) Darren () Naheana () Mahikoa () La'i () & Mana'o ()

Quote Originally Posted by tapir View Post
    Would, and do. I work "part time", which in my world is 50 hours a week.
    Omg!! 50 hrs is part time?? I am glad i chose the specialty that i am in, which is definitely less time intense

Blog Entries

Reading all these answers has been so interesting! Just another good example of how we make decisions that are very different, but that are the best choices for us and for our families, and there is no right or wrong way to do things.

Anyway, I work from home and plan to continue doing so. The flexibility is awesome, and with the right project/client the pay is good. Right now my work is very, very part time, maybe 10 hours a week. That's ok for now...I have time to volunteer both at Madison's school and Ali's preschool (it's a co-op so there's lots of parent involvement, plus I'm on the board). I'd like to step up my hours when the girls are both in school full-time, and was kind of planning on that happening when Ali starts kindergarten in 2014, but it looks like I'll be home a while longer with another little one (this is pretty fresh news...my family doesn't know yet so fb friends, please no mention of this!) That's fine, though. I will continue to work as much as I am able without going crazy. DH doesn't make tons of money but we're pretty frugal...this allows us to put money away in retirement every year, which I know is important.

In short, I guess my answer is part-time, but on my own terms, as a freelancer continuing to do what I've been doing for several years now.

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

Congratulations!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ibisgirldc View Post
    Congratulations!
    Thanks!

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

Congrats Cassie!!!!! That is so exciting!

Congrats.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzmom View Post
    Anyway, I work from home and plan to continue doing so. The flexibility is awesome, and with the right project/client the pay is good. Right now my work is very, very part time, maybe 10 hours a week. That's ok for now...I have time to volunteer both at Madison's school and Ali's preschool (it's a co-op so there's lots of parent involvement, plus I'm on the board). I'd like to step up my hours when the girls are both in school full-time, and was kind of planning on that happening when Ali starts kindergarten in 2014, but it looks like I'll be home a while longer with another little one (this is pretty fresh news...my family doesn't know yet so fb friends, please no mention of this!) That's fine, though. I will continue to work as much as I am able without going crazy. DH doesn't make tons of money but we're pretty frugal...this allows us to put money away in retirement every year, which I know is important.

In short, I guess my answer is part-time, but on my own terms, as a freelancer continuing to do what I've been doing for several years now.
    Congratulations!
    And, this is my answer too, pretty much verbatim. I've worked from home since my soon to be 15 year old was 2. It's been perfect for me -- I've loved the flexibility to be able to volunteer at school, go on field trips, put work aside when she's sick, etc. These days I have very little work. I do want to ramp it up for sure when Noe goes to school, both to add more to the family's coffers and for my own personal fulfillment. I'm not sure whether I'll continue to pursue the same kind of work I've always done or whether I'll try something new or go back to school or what. Still considering the best use of my time. Before Noe came along, I was also able to volunteer a lot in the community and I got a lot out of that too, but at this point I'm really looking to give a kick to my career.
    As a long time WAHM, though, let me say that it's amazing how little time in the day there actually is when the kids are in school. It seems like oodles of time, but it's surprising how little a person can actually get done (or me-person, not necessarily you all... maybe you're a lot more productive than I am).
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Cassi, CONGRATS! How wonderful!!!!

I'd love to work from home, I think. I really enjoy being a SAHM too. I enjoy making meals for my family. Now, I totally go through phases where I don't want to cook but all in all I like it. I like cleaning. I still hate laundry. That will never change But I enjoy life moving at OUR pace and not the pace of someone else. I'd probably enjoy homeschooling to be honest but it isn't what we are doing.

Hopefully at some point I'll be back in a classroom teaching. Me and the girls will still have the same schedule. I'm very thankful that my dh makes a great salary that we are able to plan for retirement, college, and a few fun things here and there. With my salary we hope to save even more, invest a little more and do home upgrades and take fun vacations. But thankfully that pressure isn't on us, as of now.

I do enjoy doing my "own" thing some. One thing I've done since being at home is bible studies. I've been able to study in a way I know would be more difficult if I was working. I love the flexibility. I'm also doing some voluteer stuff for our church in an low income school. It's fun loving on the kids who don't normally see volunteers. It's a blessing. But I don't want to have nothing to do when the girls are in school and one day college.

Fun reading everyone's thoughts

Congrats, Cassie!

For me, I'm not sure how it will all work out. We are planning to homeschool, so that puts me in a position of having a full time job as my children's educator. But I might at some point go back part time. My career as an interpreter is very flexible as far as taking time off to be a SAHM, and if I freelance then I will be able to decide which jobs I take each week. But we are not there yet. We will see.

I would go back part-time while they are young and think about moving to full-time as they get older. It is nice to be able to attend school events and activities. I've been working from home since I was pregnant with DS (I cannot believe they are going to be in kindergarten next year--seems like it was just yesterday we were dealing with our sleep woes!) and will continue to do that as long as they have work for me. I doubt I will ever go back to full-time work outside the home because my field is a demanding one that hogs way too much time. I might do pro bono work or volunteer, but I've become spoiled by working for myself
    Formerly villagespin