Thread: conclusion to amox reaction...lol, I hope :-)

Default conclusion to amox reaction...lol, I hope :-)

So I ended up feeling better about waiting until Adam's 7pm appt. When the Dr (not Adam's pedi) came in Adam was crying...she went through the routine checking of everything and asked me the reason we're there. I explained that his rash was worse and he had started wheezing (Adam was still crying loudly). She did the "mhmm, mhmm" thing and said the rash is going to come and go...stay the course, blah blah, blah. Adam had stopped crying by then and she was getting ready to leave so I said again that I'm really concerned about the wheezing and didn't want to go through the night without it being addressed specifically. She looked alarmed and said "Oh! He's wheezing?...Well he needs a steroid, he can't be wheezing!".

So 1. She couldn't hear what I was saying/wasn't listening and 2. Her exam on Adam was for show

I asked her to send the script to Walmart (they e-script). I get to Walmart and they don't have it. My DS had my cell so I couldn't call and had to drive back to the office. Apparently, the Dr sent it to *Walgreens* (which I never use because the wait time is atrocious). When I got to Walgreens they hadn't gotten it either so I took Adam home and called the office. They apologized and asked if I wanted them to send it to Walmart and I said sure...I get to Walmart and the pharmacy is closed (missed it by 3mins). I had my cell by then so I called the after-hours nurse who said she'd page the Dr and have him call it in to Walgreens (24hr pharmacy) but I'd have to get the number to Walgreens. I told her I'd go to Walgreens and call her back. I waited 20mins to finally ask someone the pharmacy number and see if they called the script in. I called the after-hours nurse back (a different nurse so I had to explain it all again) who took the walgreens' number and said she'd page the Dr. I asked when I can expect him to call me back because I can't stay at Walgreens all night and she said she didn't know. So I waited around another half hour but the Dr didn't call and I went home.

After being home for half an hour an after-hours nurse calls (a different one from the first two) so I explain everything again. She takes the info down and says she'll page the Dr and call me back "soon"...half an hour later she calls back and has the Dr on the line.

He has no idea why he's calling me so I explain *again* that I just need the steroid called in to the 24hr pharmacy. He misunderstands so I have to clarify and he comes to the conclusion, not having ever seen Adam mind you, that the wheezing is not part of the amox reaction but is either because of asthma or bronchiolitis and he needs a breathing treatment not a steroid (he still persisted even after I told him Adam has no fever, isn't coughing, and has never wheezed before). He said to come in in the morning to see either him or the other Dr we just saw 4hrs prior (who prescribed the steroid to begin with).

By that time (after 11pm) I had a horrible migraine and asked one more time if he'd call in the steroid but he insisted Adam needed a breathing treatment the next day so I let it go. I stayed up with Adam as late as I could to keep an eye on him and give him a late night/early morning dose of benadryl which does help if I give it every 4hrs (they told me every 6hrs but it wasn't keeping the wheezing under control). I gave him more benadryl this morning and picked up the steroid that was called in to Walmart after it was closed. Just waiting for him to wake up so I can give it to him (he's napping in my lap).

I'm not following up with them. Getting a new pedi asap! Going to call around this afternoon. I'm so done with them : /.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Heavens to mergatroid that is aweful!!!!!!!!!

Hope the steroid helps and helps fast. For him & YOU!!!!!!!
    Phoebe Grace 6-22-11; 37.5" and 26.2# at 2 years old! She is my wild child!
    Me & Geoff, 40; DD Phoebe, our June Bug

Just when you think they can't get any more incompetent! I hope you find a good practice soon.

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinseed2011 View Post
    Heavens to mergatroid that is aweful!!!!!!!!!

Hope the steroid helps and helps fast. For him & YOU!!!!!!!
    For real! Our doctors have prescribed steroids for Nathan several times for his wheezing, but he also gets breathing treatments for it as well, so neither one of those doctors was 100% correct!
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!

OMG, that is SO RIDICULOUS!! I'm so sorry you guys are dealing with all that BS. You should submit some online reviews for that Dr/practice about your experience if possible. I would certainly appreciate some reviews about a Dr if I was looking for a new one. I hope you find a great Dr that you trust very soon. I would have been a mess of tears after all that. I'm praying and praying that the steroid will finally be the fix for his wheezing and that the whole allergic reaction is over with very soon. I wish I could come give you both a big ole hug!!
    ~Andrea~

Blog Entries

How awful. You don't delay a breathing treatment over night in any case. I am so glad that you are finding a new doctor.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    Check out our business, JRSolutions.

that is horrible! good luck finding a new pedi!

This whole thing is absolutely insane! I hope your DS is feeling better and you find a new office you like soon!

Dude I'd be so upset! Huge hugs!!!!
    ~ Jess ~ Proud momma of Hayden (7/29/06) Ava (3/14/08) Rainbow Baby Carter (6/8/12)

Thanks ladies...it was such a crazy night...I'm still dumb-founded by it!

I gave Adam his first dose of prednisolone and wow what a substantial difference!! The rash has almost completely faded and no wheezing!! He's super hyper but the happiest I've seen him in weeks :-)

I'm giving him probiotics but his bottom is starting to get raw...slathering it in vaseline to hopefully prevent further irritation from the loose stools. Thankfully, no thrush yet (had it from 3wks old to 7months)!

Now to get my oldest two kiddos well...they came down with what looks like the flu today (sore throat, fever, coughing) which the rest of us haven't had yet. Praying it doesn't set off another round of illness...they keep to themselves when they're sick though and are good about sanitizing so I'm hopeful :-)

The holidays are rough...lol, 2-3days of food, fun, friends, and family usually ends with a month of illness but we did have a great holiday so I can't complain

Holy moley!

I'm glad he is feeling better and good luck finding a new dr!

One of the joys of a large families...we get to experience the same illness for weeks. I don't know what is worse, actually dealing with a bunch of sick kids or the anticipation of wondering who will get it next

We all got the flu after traveling at thanksgiving. We did have fun, but spent the next 2wks in various stages of the flu.

Oh my goodness, what a mess! I'm so sorry they put you through all of that, I would definitely be finding a new doctor asap. I hope Adam and your older kids are all better soon!
    Jennifer