Thread: Problems :/

Default Problems :/

My little man has been an amazing eater but this past week he is not wanting to latch. Some feedings he latches and eats well but then sometimes he doesn't latch or when he does he pulls off and starts crying its not a change of scenery or noise level because i feed him while im sitting in bed and its been that way since he was born. any idea what's going on with him? He is 8 weeks old now.

He has plenty of wet and dirty diapers. he gets gassy so I give him gripe water.

Any ideas on what is going on ladies?

Could your supply be getting stronger? That sounds like what happened with DS1 (I forget how old he was when it happened, but it was not right away). My letdown was very powerful and too much for him to handle. What worked was reclining while nursing, so hand expressing some first into a towel so that it wasn't so much.

There is a huge GS at 8 weeks too. I wonder if the flow isn't coming fast enough at first? When he pops off are you spraying? Like an overactive letdown? Or is it there but not spraying? Either way, you may want to pump or hand express for a minute before he latches and see if you can get the milk flowing for him if that's the problem or get the spray out of the way so he isn't choking. Have you tried probiotics too? Those were amazing for our tummy troubles. We used biogaia infant drops. I have heard you can get them from Walgreen's now.

Mommy to Piper 6/5/09 and an 11/2011
    Make a pregnancy ticker

I barely get an ounce while pumping so idk if I even have a good supply. When he unlatches I'm leaking but I have never sprayed. I have never pumped before feeding him though I always fed him first because I'm afraid he won't get enough since I don't get much pumping. I think I'm producing enough to feed him and help him gain weight but that's it. He is on medicine because every time he would try to have a bowel movement he would be screaming in pain and he had colic real bad and still kinda does. I'm one exhausted mama that's for sure. This no sleep is effecting my heart and I can't produce enough milk while pumping for someone else to feed him. I don't want to have to give him formula but its looking like I might need to atleast just give him formula once a day so I can get some rest. It sounds so selfish but I could deal with it if it didnt effect my heart.

Sounds like he's hit a GS. I bet your producing just fine. I could never pump either but we never supplemented and she gained fine. She ate a lot though. Like every 2 hours around the clock for 9 months. It's exhausting. Do what you can momma. It's ok to give him formula if it's needed so you can get a break. Piper had terrible colic too and the boob wasn't always comforting for her. We did lots of warm baths, a happy tummy wrap, gripe water, baby wearing....it was exhausting.

Mommy to Piper 6/5/09 and an 11/2011
    Make a pregnancy ticker

It sounds like a heavy letdown. DS did the same thing around that time. I didn't spray then, but I do now. Do you get a lot of pressure with your letdown? If I don't have a chance to pump, I will grab a towel and hand express when I feel my letdown.

Maybe you could try to pump out after a couple of feedings a day. I would pumped when I knew DS was going to be sleeping for another hour. I never fully drained my supply when pumping.
    Last edited by CorpsmanWife; 01-02-2013 at 09:23 PM.

Sounds like strong letdown to me, too. Happened with all my babies.

I tried pumping first and he would latch for 30 seconds and then would cry. Milk was not dripping this time my breast felt really empty as well

Could he just be really hungry and impatient for a letdown? My DD latches on and off and sometimes cries until I have a letdown and then she will feed...although I also have a forceful letdown so then she gets too much too fast which makes her angry lol. Can you feel your letdown?

I think what you are describing is normal and will probably pass but I know it's terribly frustrating and exhausting. My DD is pretty fussy too and it's very tiring. Nursing her isn't pleasant. I have nursed 2 kids past 1 year and enjoyed BFing but with her I feel like I am counting down to get to a year so I can stop!

Hang in there.
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Quote Originally Posted by macksmom View Post
    Could he just be really hungry and impatient for a letdown? My DD latches on and off and sometimes cries until I have a letdown and then she will feed...although I also have a forceful letdown so then she gets too much too fast which makes her angry lol. Can you feel your letdown?

I think what you are describing is normal and will probably pass but I know it's terribly frustrating and exhausting. My DD is pretty fussy too and it's very tiring. Nursing her isn't pleasant. I have nursed 2 kids past 1 year and enjoyed BFing but with her I feel like I am counting down to get to a year so I can stop!

Hang in there.
    He loves to eat, a lot lol. I'm guessing he is being impatient until my let down happens. I sometimes feel it but my breasts have to be pretty full for me to feel it and he has always eaten so much that my boobs barely feel full lol. He is a chunky little thing. I can tell when I do have a let down because he gets really still and starts swallowing a lot and almost always puts his hand on my breast at that time. When it comes to the latching issue sometimes he puts both hands in front of him and tries to push off my breast but then gets extremely mad until I move his hands and and let him latch back on. He is a strong little booger lol.