Thread: Playground accident WWYD

Default Playground accident WWYD

If you and your DH/SO take your two kids (older on 6-8 yo, younger one around 2.5 yo) to a playground and your younger has a pee accident whereby she pees all the landing on one level and it streaks down to the lower level, WWYD with respect to the pee? Would you clean it up or would you pick your children and go away? (The parents' car was parked close by.) Again there are 2 adults. The playground was very busy and there were plenty of children around the pee.

I realize that parents assume the risk of unsanitary conditions at playground equipment due to the fact that it is in the open, public, used by little people, but I would like to know what you, as a parent, would do in this situation. Personally, I would get wipes from my car or ask people around me for wipes. Personally, I would feel that I have no excuse for cleaning the pee since my DH is there with just 2 kids while I can go grab something from the car. If I don't have wipes in the car, I would ask all the moms at the playground since moms tend to have those handy (There were a dozen of us there and I had wipes in my diaper bag; chances are other moms had wipes too). I cleaned it not because I am the nicest of people but because my kids like to play in that area.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Blog Entries

I would also clean it up either with my wipes or someone else's wipes.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

i rarely have wipes with me. but if that did happen, i would ask other moms if they had any.

I would have cleaned it up, and I always have wipes in the diaper bag.
    Jennifer

This has happened to me twice. Once at a playground when I was alone with two kids and once at McDonalds with my DH. At the playground I got wipes out and cleaned it. At McDonalds I went up to to the counter and told them so they could clean it (since I couldn't access the area where it happened).

Personally I think its obvious that parents should be responsible for messes their kids make (pee or trash or whatever it is). I also think the same of pet owners, but a lot don't clean up with that either.

That said, I don't know that family and what was going on with them. Maybe they were embarrassed or whatever. But overall, yes, I think if you have someone or something you are responsible for, that includes responsibility to clean up messes.

What Polly said. We are responsible for the messes our kids (and pets) make.

I would do my best to clean it up. WE don't always have those sort of things with us, but I always have things in my car. Pee happens though! I have had my child puke on the play ground all the time and everyone gives me weird looks when I'm scooping up a pile of vomity mulch or wiping puke up off of the ground. LOL But its gross, and it needs to be cleaned! haha
    Dada (27) Mama-Jessie (26) Orion (4) Kadence (2) Osiris (Uterus)

Absolutely, I would clean it. I would probably change my kid first, especially if he were soaked - humans before equipment - but yes, it's my responsibility to leave public sites as I'd found them. (With something like vomit, you can only do so much, esp w/wipes, but if there were a puddle of pee on a play structure, I can't see why someone wouldn't try to remove it. If not with wipes, maybe just rinsing it away with a bottle of water.)
    Last edited by ibisgirldc; 12-30-2012 at 10:34 PM.

I usually have wipes and I would clean up the mess my child made and possibly take the child home afterward if we didn't have a place to change him/her.

I would have absolutely cleaned up after my child. I can't imagine why they didn't in the scenario you described....

I think it's rude and disrespectful not to and I wonder how they would feel if their children were expected to play on equipment that another child urinated on.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

I would have cleaned it up. DH on the other hand was at the mall with our son. DS had an accident and peed all over the couch they had there. DH got up and left. He didn't have wipes or anything, nor was there anyone around. I doubt he would ask someone for wipes even if there was someone there.
    Autumn (me) Darren () Naheana () Mahikoa () La'i () & Mana'o ()

I would have cleaned up unless there was no way to get anything to clean it with - I did not have anything, no one else with wipes and no paper in the rest room. I had that happen in an indoor bounce house playground. DD had an accident. I started cleaning up but the guy who works there finished it up. He insisted, I felt embarassed that he was cleaning up my kid's mess but he said it happened all the time.

Even if I was alone with four kids I would clean it up. As pp said maybe there was something more going on. But I would never want another child to step in pee if it was avoidable.

I don't know if I would have cleaned up another child's pee however. I would love to think that s what I would do for my kids but....yuck! You are a better mom than me, Tanya!

Jeanne, mom to Dev0n (6) Isabe11e (5) and C0rbin (3.5) Vio1et (almost 2)

I definitely would have cleaned it!

Clean it up. It is my kids accident, I would not expect to leave it a mess for others.
    Phoebe Grace 6-22-11; 37.5" and 26.2# at 2 years old! She is my wild child!
    Me & Geoff, 40; DD Phoebe, our June Bug

We always clean up any spills that we make.

You'd be surprised at what people do! I had a friend who's child peed in my car and I would up cleaning it up myself when I got home.

I would have cleaned it up, for sure!

ds peed on the floor in the grocery not long ago and I sopped up the pee with everything absorbable I had in my bag, so yes I would clean it up. I worked in food service years ago when I was in college, people let their kids puke and pee everywhere and act like they have no responsibilty for it.

It seems obvious to most, but not everyone unfortunately. How many times have you been in a piblic bathroom to see pee,poop, puke or blood somewhere it shouldn't have been.

Quote Originally Posted by runningmomofmany View Post
    It seems obvious to most, but not everyone unfortunately. How many times have you been in a piblic bathroom to see pee,poop, puke or blood somewhere it shouldn't have been.
    More than I wish. Hence, I started the thread to see how people feel about it for their children. I don't know what happened to the family whose daughter peed all over the playground equipment the other day, for all I know they might have gotten an emergency call in the car.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

I would grab my kids and run away quickly...

JUST KIDDING . Of course as any responsible parent I would clean up or if there are staff responsible for that - ask them. I could never understand people who let their kids pee wherever (it happens a lot here!) and don't even try to clean.
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

I would at least try to clean it up. If I didn't. Have wipes then at least dump a water bottle over it and try to wash it away.
    Angela (28) DH, Pat (30) DS Connor (4), DS Leo (2), DS Nathan