Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying clothes/shoes too big

Default Buying clothes/shoes too big

Do you all get this?
    Several time lately dbf has asked me if I bought items big so they would last awhile (winter coats, ski boots, shoes even!) and I tell him no that I buy them things that fit them. I don't want to walk around in shoes too big for me! How uncomfortable! And coats should fit snug as well to be comfortable. Not to mention the fact that I buy our clothes second hand for dollars so it's rarely a money issue. I think it's just ingrained in him from his mother or something! She has made comments to me that she buys things big so they can wear them for years...but I put them away until they fit.

I don't get that at all! I buy bigger sizes of clothes and shoes for the kids to grow into if I find a good deal, but I cannot imagine trying to flop around and play in too big shoes and jackets!
    Formerly villagespin

my ex's wife drove me nuts with this, they would get clothes for DD1 that were huge and would get pissy because I sent her in clothes that fit.

Todays avatar was brought to you by shirtwoot!

Well, it depends on exactly how big you consider too big. When my son was little, I would buy his shoes a half-size larger than what he measured because he grew SO fast and would outgrow them in a month otherwise. With my girls, they were so petite and didn't grow that fast, so I didn't do that as much. Coats I always bought one size bigger than their clothes because if I bought the same size as their clothes, then the coats would be too small. I would buy clothing that was comfortably loose, but no so loose they fell off or hung on them like a sack. Katie is petite like both of my girls were and it's very hard to get clothing that fits right. Pants that fit in the waist are too short, and pants that fit in length are so loose they fall down as she walks. We did recently find slim-fit 4T pants at Old Navy and they fit her much better. We also bought these things (I forget what they're called) that go through the belt loops on the back of their pants to make them fit better. Nathan needs those as well.

So I guess in answer to your question, I don't buy things that JUST fit because if they shrink in the wash, they'll then be too small, or if they go through a growth spurt, then they outgrow them in no time at all. I buy things that give them a little room to grow without being TOO big.
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!

I dont get it at all. In fact, bigger shoes are a safety problem. They can trip and seriously get hurt or twist an ankle. Bigger pants can fall down in public even with a belt and that can be so embarassing. In general once they are older other kids can mock them, so why would I do that to them unless i am really poor and have no choice.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Obviously if the pants are slightly longer or the shirt is a little baggy, I consider it fine.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

I do it, quite purposefully, all the time! But, of course, within reason. For example, her foot size is 7 1/2 now, but she's in 8s. For clothes, I tend to buy one size up- like right now, she mostly fits in 3Ts (some 2Ts, depending on how they're sized, of course), but I mostly buy 4Ts. I figure, I'm fine with clothes a little roomy, so she is, too!

I won't do anything that's uncomfortable, like pants that won't stay up, or sleeves that cover her hands, but if it's just roomy and comfy? That's what I aim for.

I don't aim for too big, but it sometimes happens. As long as she isn't tripping over her pants or having it fall off her bottom, I fold stuff over and put her in it. Coats, I don't mind if they are a little big. I like mine that way, so it can be layered and still not be restrictive under arms. Shoes must fit.

I do it sometimes. I bought a size up for DS2's jacket. His sleeves can be rolled up. If it's too uncomfortable I do have a hand-me down from DS1 in the smaller size, but he seems fine. Shoes, I always buy the right size, except snow boots. Those I have bought on the larger size before. They only wear them about 2/x a year. And with shirts for DS1, I buy bigger, especially if it's the only size and on clearance. If it is too baggy, then oh well, we save it. But most of the time, it's loose, and then he can wear it the following year as a shirt that is more snug...and those are usually his favorite shirts! lol

Pants, I only buy big if they are on clearance and I am buying for the next season. I really struggle finding pants that stay on DS1 and are long enough, so I never buy big to wear right away.

I never buy clothes with the intention she will wear them now and have room to grow in them too. I probably do put her in clothes that tend to be a little loose, but because of her shape that's just how it goes. Shirts would be way too short if I bought for arm length or shoulder width. Instead I buy for the length on her waist and the rest fits however it fits. Shorts sometimes end up longer than they're supposed to be on her because we have to go up a size so it will fit around her booty. Shoes I would never buy too big unless it was with plans to put them away for when she grew into them. I did just order her a coat online because I couldn't find one in the stores I liked, and I'm a little bugged that the sleeves are a bit long. I ordered the size she's in right now too. But I won't send it back now because with my luck the smaller size would be too short in the sleeves

like momofanonly, i buy clothes based on my child's size and body shape. And style - I don't like the look of things like skinny jeans or shirts that look too small, trendy or not. Some of his clothes may be a tad big at the start of a season (which is why toddler clothes have waist tabs or why one might roll a pant leg) but not for long. And in some brands, I have to buy bigger: e.g., my son isn't that big but Carters are almost always too small in the exact size.

I do buy some things a season in advance but those go into storage. E.g., on black friday, i bought 4t jeans from old navy. At barely three, he's certainly not wearing those now...

I sometimes buy things a size bigger than what the child is currently wearing if it is at the beginning of the season and I know they will grow. For instance, dd was right in 12m jammies in oct when it got cold, so I went ahead and got her 18m knowing she will be wearing them until may-june. They are a little baggy, but she's not swallowed up in them.

And I have always heard to buy a half size up in shoes. Just this week at stride rite they siggested a half size bigger than she measured for growing room.

so yes, I will often buy clothes and shoes a little roomy. Not flopping around big, but big enough to last a few months.

I dont buy clothing/shoes thinking it will last for more than a year/season. I always buy shoes half a size bigger because i'm so paranoid of tight shoes (nothing is more uncomfortable!) and winter boots, definitely because I factor in thick socks/two pairs of socks. I always buy pants to fit for the season because its impossible to wear pants that are too big (in length/waist) comfortably. But shirts and sweaters, I'll buy a bit bigger, a lot of sweaters have a cuff that can easily be folded up and look proper so we can get a bit more use out of sweaters. So yeah, I think a head a little bit, but not 'she can wear this for the next 2/3 years'
    Last edited by futuresoccermom; 12-19-2012 at 01:32 AM.

Nope we buy clothes that fit. The sucky thing is when they are too big for once size but too small for the next size, like DS4 is right now. His legs are too long for 4t pants but 5t pants slide right off his waist. DS2 wears mostly hand me downs except shoes because they both wear shoes to death.
    Megan (29) and Jayson (31) Happily married 9 years

I do and don't. For shoes I don't because it would be difficult to walk in shoes too big. But, in clothes I sometimes do with the intention that there will be room to grow. My girls are really tall though so I usually have to buy a size up in pants anyway for the length. Also, a lot for me depends on if it's a brand I know shrinks a lot too. I've seen that many times if I but the exact size that fits them, then it won't fit them through the entire season and that's annoying.
    Lindsay, DH - Matt and 2DDs

I have stuff in each range of sizes I guess. DS is 3 and is currently wearing 3T, some of it was hand-me-downs but some new that I bought at the beginning of the season. I've bought some 4T stuff, but it's for next year. I don't like the look of clothes that are a size or two too big. I do buy on sale and get things in different sizes sometimes.
    Vicki 39 DH45 SD12 SS9
    DS Hudson Sept 23, 2009!
    DS Trevor July 29, 2012!
    "Fat babies have no pride" - Lyle Lovett

Blog Entries

Both my kids have long torsos and shorter legs. So, invariably any outfits need to be bought at their torso size and the pants will be too big - I'm the only person really that buys a lot of separates. So, when people ask what size they are I don't say 4T on top and 3T on bottom, I just say 4T. And then they wear the pants for two seasons (but not two years). It actually works out very well. At this age the size differences are most just in length and I much prefer that they wear longer shirts and rolling a pant leg as needed is just fine.

I do usually buy shoes up what I think is half a size but they usually fit about perfectly. It's hard to get them to stand still enough for a proper measure. The last time I did that I accidentally ordered up a whole size so those shoes are waiting to be worn. Ugh.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

Quote Originally Posted by Krystal5 View Post
    I do it, quite purposefully, all the time! But, of course, within reason. For example, her foot size is 7 1/2 now, but she's in 8s. For clothes, I tend to buy one size up- like right now, she mostly fits in 3Ts (some 2Ts, depending on how they're sized, of course), but I mostly buy 4Ts. I figure, I'm fine with clothes a little roomy, so she is, too!

I won't do anything that's uncomfortable, like pants that won't stay up, or sleeves that cover her hands, but if it's just roomy and comfy? That's what I aim for.
    Me too.
    My dd is tall and slim so I generally buy for length. But yeah, not shoes that are too big or pants that fall down -- if pants are too big I just take them in or add elastic. Oh, and it depends on where I'm getting the clothes, too. If I'm buying playclothes at Target and they're on sale, I'll get the size she's fitting into right at the moment. But if it's something that's a bit of a splurge, and is a long-lasting brand (like Hanna Andersson), and if it's an item that can still work a little on the big side like a playdress, I will probably go up a size.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Quote Originally Posted by Krystal5 View Post

This is us too. Sometimes it is not intentional, but there are times where I'll get the size up just so she won't grow out of it before she really gets a chance to wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreya View Post
    Nope we buy clothes that fit. The sucky thing is when they are too big for once size but too small for the next size, like DS4 is right now. His legs are too long for 4t pants but 5t pants slide right off his waist. DS2 wears mostly hand me downs except shoes because they both wear shoes to death.
    I'm in the same boat with DD1 right now. I thought she was ready to go up a size because some of her size 6 tops are getting snug, but the next size is 7/8 and one shirt I bought her was HUGE. So, I went back to buying the 6's and am on the look out for 6x or other brands that will give her some room and not have her wearing clothes that are uncomfortably too big. Shoes we go up a 1/2 size too and it was even recommended to us at the shoe store.
    Growing fast... DD1 (6) & DD2 (4)
    Forever loved, forever missed... Twin Girls with us for 19w3d 6/12/06

My son is kind of in between clothing sizes. He could fit 3T but 4T will last us longer so yes I buy the 4T. He's wearing 3T pants that I bought this summer but he's almost needing 4T for length after only a few months. I have also noticed that different brands fit differently. My daughter is 11 months but has a shirt from Childrens Place thats 6-9 months that looks huge on her. Of course though both my kids are petite. I did buy DS a coat in 4T so he could wear it next year as well. I did not want to buy 3T and have him outgrow it before winter was over.

I buy everything that fits. Well I try to....the pants I bought for dd were way too big for her and she ended up wearing her pants from last winter. Her jacket from last winter fit her too so I won't buy another one until she outgrows it.

Other people, DH's aunts buys her stuff that is way too big but I just save it until it fits. And DH's dad buys clothes for dd way way WAY too big....last Xmas he bought size 4T leggings and a jean jacket that won't fit her till she's 10!! (She's still in 18 month clothes!)

I buy 4T shirts even though on the books Sonja's in 3T, because she's tall and 3T shirts don't sit right on her waist and ride up when she lifts her arms. I just fold the sleeves over but I usually don't have to. She's slim, so the 3T pants I buy are for length as well, but I make sure I get the ones with those elastic/button combo adjustable waists and I think they'll last through the summer at least since I can just continue to let them out at the waist. Last year, I bought her a 3T winter coat, and just folded the sleeves over at the cuffs. This year, she's wearing it again without the cuffs folded. So yes, with the coat I bought considering 2 seasons' use. Shoes, on the other hand, I buy the right size, since Sonja is a little clumsy I want her to have proper-fitting shoes so the likelihood of her wiping out isn't enhanced . I did, however, buy snow boots a little big since I can just put fluffy socks on to fill them in if need be, and maybe they'll fit next winter but I'm not depending on that.

The major tough thing is I'm expecting a boy, so there's no hand-me-downs past newborn onesies and that type of thing. Once we have our third (eventually), I'll be set with both wardrobes!
    Leigh(36)/Matt(40)/Sonja Lily(4)/Damien Andrew(1.5)

We used to buy stuff a size larger for the triplets, hoping it would last a bit longer...now we have to buy 2 sizes larger just for them to last the season/year in it. The trio are growing very fast. Jericho is a whole different story...he is much smaller than his siblings were at this age, and growing much slower. He will be 2 in 12 days and is only 26 lbs LOL.

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (6) and Jericho (3 1/2)

I buy winter gear and shoes a size or two bigger. For example, I bought Sam a size 9 shoe when he was in a 7/8. I think E is in a 6/7. I do this so I don't buy a shoe that fits and have to replace it a month or two later like I had to do with Elliott twice this year. Coats I buy to cover two winter seasons usually. They have summer birthdays so I would buy like a size 5 coat and Sam can wear it this winter at 4.5 and next at 5.5, then it passes to his brother. Everything else I buy that fits. Elliott is in two sizes right now and I waiver on switching to the bigger size because he needs 3t for length, but weight is 2T.

It's never a comfort issue.
    Last edited by MamaKat; 12-19-2012 at 12:02 PM.
    Our Family <3 Est. July 2007 <3
    Samuel (5 years), Elliott (3 years), and Evelyn (1 year).

It depends on what it is for me. For Cody he can fit into 4T clothes but, we will buy 5T shirts and pants with an adjustable waist in 5T to last. He has long arms and legs so buying 1 size up for us seems smart to last all year round. My mom bought him some shoes for the spring that are 1 size up because by that time it should fit him well. For Sophia there is no point in buying clothes bigger because she is tiny and 12 months are still sort of big on her.
    Last edited by hotpinkmomma0811; 12-19-2012 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJorn View Post
    Both my kids have long torsos and shorter legs. So, invariably any outfits need to be bought at their torso size and the pants will be too big - I'm the only person really that buys a lot of separates. So, when people ask what size they are I don't say 4T on top and 3T on bottom, I just say 4T. And then they wear the pants for two seasons (but not two years). It actually works out very well. At this age the size differences are most just in length and I much prefer that they wear longer shirts and rolling a pant leg as needed is just fine.
    Ha ha, you're definitely not the only one! I almost always buy separates for DD. For the first time in a long time, she is wearing the same size on top and bottom now. She's been in 3T on top for a long time now, but only recently grew into 3T pants. Even this summer, she could wear size 18-24 month pants in a lot of brands, but needed 3T tops. Late fall she finally had a leg growth spurt, and is actually 3T for both now. (Any 2T pants I bought went to the second-hand store in excellent condition - she went through the size in about a month.)

Blog Entries

I will sometimes buy up a size, but not too often. If it's a steal (new shoes at Goodwill for $1) then I will, and have, bought up a size. However I save them until they fit.

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

Oh I will totally buy something too big if it's a good deal but I just put it away until it fits. Also, having 3, I figure at least 2 of the 3 will wear it so if one grows out of it quickly, no worries there. Savana wears boyish stuff too so I can pass her things on to the boys. Oh, and I don't think I have ever bought a top and bottom "outfit" together. All separates here.

I buy too big most of the time. Usually it is a size too big for clothes and up to two sizes too big for coats. I never buy shoes larger than a half size too big.

Both my kids have thin waists so for me the waist size is important and since Ky especially is tall for his age, I usually have to buy his clothes a size larger as the size that actually fits his waist for pants is usually too short for his legs, so they would be high water pants. He has belts so his too big sizes stay snug on his waist but do look a bit bulky. He is starting to fill out a big more though. He actually can fit a size 14 waist pants in boys but mostly wears 18s due to the length of the pants. The 14s are about 4 inches too short for him, more in certain brands.

With Elle, I really don't worry too much about her clothes being too big. She has a size 8 coat right now - girls sizes that I do feel is ridiculously big, don't know what my mom was thinking. My mom also bought her some size 6 Dora pajamas. Elle is pretty little still and wears a 4T, some 5Ts depending on the brand so the 6 and especially the 8 coat is way too big for her. I let her wear the PJs since they are just for bed, but the coat is hung up and she probably won't wear it for a couple years. Right now she has a 4/5 coat that fits her pretty good even though it is a size too big.

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by runningmomofmany View Post
    I sometimes buy things a size bigger than what the child is currently wearing if it is at the beginning of the season and I know they will grow. For instance, dd was right in 12m jammies in oct when it got cold, so I went ahead and got her 18m knowing she will be wearing them until may-june. They are a little baggy, but she's not swallowed up in them.

And I have always heard to buy a half size up in shoes. Just this week at stride rite they siggested a half size bigger than she measured for growing room.

so yes, I will often buy clothes and shoes a little roomy. Not flopping around big, but big enough to last a few months.
    Same. Jeans I buy the right fit, but shirts and pjs I mostly go up a size especially buying new. I'm not talking huge, just one size so that it hopefully fits now slightly big and perfect next year. Shoes I make sure they fit right but normally shoes within 1/2 size both fit so I get the bigger ones.
    ~ Shannon
    Michael, Married October, 2003
    Jessica, June 2005 ~ Kyle, September 2007 ~ Michaela, March 2010 ~ Abigail, June 2012