Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Mom's...can anyone tell me what this is? pip.

Default Dr. Mom's...can anyone tell me what this is? pip.

Jericho got these bumps, in a small area that didn't bother him at all, a couple weeks ago...we thought it was just some little benign rash. They didn't start spreading or itching until a few days ago. We took him to the Doc. yesterday, she wasn't sure...she said it could be scabies and since it is easy to treat she gave us a script for the cream and we treated him head to toe last night leaving it on for 12 hours and then washing it off. She wasn't convinced that is what it is...no one else has these bumps, and the kids all share a room and often times a bed. So that made her doubt the idea...since I guess it is VERY contagious Any other thoughts???

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (6) and Jericho (3 1/2)

Ummm. Not sure. It kind of looks like hives to me...if you give him a dose of benadryl do they stop itching and go away for a bit? If so, it's hives. If not...I have no idea. Doesn't look to me like scabies, but if you want to post pics of his hands I will be more sure. Doesn't look like anything bad I can think of. When all else fails, blame it on a virus.

Yeah it looks a lot like hives to me too, but some of the bumps are more bumpy, come to a tip, than any of my kids hive episodes have been before. His hands and feet are pretty much fine, he has nothing between his fingers and toes at all...just a few of these bumps on his wrists and a couple on the back of his hand. We don't think it is scabies honestly, I don't think the Pedi did either...she just knows I hate hearing "watch and wait" LOL. She did tell us it was probably from a virus, and was probably just hives. Thanks.

Blog Entries

I would also say hives. But they do look a little different than I would expect. Changed any detergent/soap lately? Do they itch?
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

They do itch him...and they spread with his itching, at least it seems that way to me. We did change detergent...but what we changed to we have used before.

If they spread with the itching it sounds more like hives. I would not treat for scabies unless I was sure, it is pretty yucky stuff.

Blog Entries

Hives/eczema I'd say then. I would also switch back to your old detergent since it could bother him now and going forward.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

Thanks guys...good idea.

Have you used anything on your carpets/furniture lately? It's odd that he's not broken out on his torso...just his limbs. It looks like where he would lay or sit. I would say contact dermatitis and give benadryl for the itching at night, hydrocortisone cream with an analgesic in it during the day.

Hope it clears up soon...poor pumpkin!

We don't have carpet, and the furniture is leather...so we just wipe it down with a damp cloth. It is pretty strange.

DD1 did this twice this summer... for like 2-3 days the first time and 3-4 days the second time. Both times she'd break out in these in the morning, we'd give her benedryl, they'd go away, they'd come back over and over for a few days. Then they'd go away totally - came back again about a month later. Since then, nothing. Doc said that it was probably just some allergic reaction to something in the environment and not to worry about it.
    Turns out I used to do the same thing when I was a toddler too - just randomly break out in hives that looked just like your pictures - never hurt me and they'd kind of come and go.
    If you already took him in and he's not too bothered by it, I'd try benedryl and see if that helps. If they are bothering him and he's upset, then I'd get an apt with a dermatologist and maybe they can give you a better cream.

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by TripMomma View Post
    We don't have carpet, and the furniture is leather...so we just wipe it down with a damp cloth. It is pretty strange.
    Just wanted to say that we never figured out what was triggering it with DD1...and my mom said they never figured it out with me either. I had one fall when I was in middle school where it happened again - then hasn't happened since. Who knows....

I would try some benadryl at night and hydrocortisone ointment 2 times a day. And re-wash his clothes that were washed in the "new" detergent.

Emme gets that on her bum quite often. It's just one of the rashes we're always battling with her. I think it's a reaction to detergent, but we're using as free and clear as it gets... we started with All Free & Clear, went to Fresh & Easy Free and Clear (no fragrance, no brighteners), and now homemade- ivory, washing soda, and borax. She still breaks out in those little bumps. The only thing that works for her rashes is triamcinolone. I HATE using it on her. We just got a referral to the dermatologist to see if we can get a handle on some of these skin issues.

How much benadryl do you guys give... what we have says do not give to kids under 6?

benadryl dose is 0.5-1 mg per kg per dose. So if you have the children's benadryl, which is 12.5 mg/5ml, you would give a 20 pound kid 1 teaspoon=5ml, a 30 pound kid 1.5 tsp=7.5 ml or a 40 pound kid 2 tsp=10 ml every 4-6 hours as needed. Hope that helps.

Thank you!

I only give Emme 1 1/2 tsp and she's 44lbs. I didn't realize her dose should actually be 2tsp. But what I do give her has always been enough to calm down even her worst hives (allergic reaction to penicillin), and effectively knock her OUT! lol

Scabies is a super icky thing usually only seen in dirty little ones that live in a dirty house and aren't bathed often. I would doubt that it's scabies. I have seen it on kiddos when I was working and it is kind of a similar rash but it's just doubtful based on your living conditions. At least from what I have been told/read/etc.
    Rashes are so hard!! Hope it gets better!

Nah. Scabies is like lice. It's not a hygiene issue, it's a "being around lots of kids" issue. The incubation for scabies is 4-6 weeks from exposure to rash, and you are contagious basically that whole time. Ew.

It kind of looks like chicken pox.
    Mary Jane, doula and mom of Vada, Brynna, Tea, Moira, Kyan, Ambria, Aslan, and Anakin.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~ Dr. Seuss

Kind of looks like a Gluten Rash I noticed you said some of them have a head, are any of them clear and hard? If so you might try elmination diet and see what triggers it. Could just be a insensitivity to something and then the rash comes on. Ours last for about a week and then clears up. PM me if you want to see pictures of what ours looks like so you can compare his to.
    Last edited by babybluesash; 12-21-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Thanks will do.

Is it any better yet? Have you tried cortisone on it? Had anyone else gotten it?

The benadryl looks to be helping a very little bit. Haven't tried any cortisone yet, DH keeps forgetting to buy it

No one else has anything like it at all yet.

Do you put lotion on him at all? If not you might try it, as long as its free of fragrances and is for sensitive skin. Emme's skin is always more reactive when it cools off outside and her skin is drier. If nothing else a light coat of petroleum jelly might protect those irritated areas.

We haven't tried lotion yet...I didn't want to irritate the area more. DH got the cortisone so we put that on him tonight. DH did tell me that he started using the bounce dryer bar thing not too long ago...wonder if that could be the problem.

That could definitely be it. And you might have to strip his clothes much like you would cloth diapers in order to get the reside off his clothes. Pry that puppy out of your dryer (that's what the bar is, right?), and wash his clothes several times. In hot if you're not worried they'll shrink.
    If that is what he's reacting to then it makes sense that he's not getting much better with the Benadryl. He's constantly being exposed to it.

Good idea. I see a day of laundry in my future tomorrow.

Kind of weird that it is only on his limbs and not his trunk if it is his clothes. Almost looks like bug bites, if it was summer and wearing shorts and had been camping!

It isn't molluscum, right? If you squeeze a bump does a white "seed" come out? Usually you would see some bumps that haven't come to a head that look like just small skin colored bumps, but I have seen it look like that in a patch, my friend's daughter had it on her legs badly that looked a bit like that.