Thread: This is why I believe in God

Default This is why I believe in God

So Leo has been talking a lot about god lately. No biggie I knew it would come up eventually. Six year olds can be stubborn, easily influenced, or both. Well he's both. Started with being easily influenced and now he's stubborn. He believes and knows that there is a god. Okay fine. It can't hurt right?? I was just wondering where the idea of god and heaven and the "h" word (as he calls it) came into his little head from. Well finally he comes out and says that he believes in god because Ms. Yu told him about it. So I ask him what he means and he says that she told him (and the class) that god is always watching you and will always take care of you. If you're good then you go to heaven but if not then you go to another place. A bad place that starts with the letter H.

I'm kinda bummed. I knew that he'd learn about this stuff from movies, tv shows, other family members and especially friends, but his first grade teacher?? I mean sure his kinder teacher (last year) mentioned her dad was in heaven when one of the kids asked about him, but that didn't really bother me. What would you do if you were in my shoes?? Do I just talk to him about what he thinks here at home, or talk with her about how much she says in the classroom?? The "evil" in me wants to say, "See there is a hell be a good boy." I'm totally kidding.
    Anna Mommy to 4 boys!! 16 yrs., 14 yrs., 7 yrs., and baby.
    Mean people produce little mean people!!

I would be furious and I would be calling the principal!
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (20M)

I would probably ask for a meeting with the teacher and principal and ask her exactly what was said. If she said what he said, that's not right. Maybe she said something like, "some people believe there is a god watching out for you" and he interpreted it to mean that she believed and so should he. But I'd definitely want clarification and would let the teacher know that I was not happy with that kind of conversation going on.

I would also speak to the teacher to find out in what context the conversation was had.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I would start by asking the teacher also. I know that there are just a few books that we have read here at home that mention God and Heaven and the Afterlife, although I have tried pretty hard to keep them out of the house. Even Little House in the Big Woods had some discussion, and every time I have to define something, or talk about what church is, it seems to lead to more discussion. Probably more info would be received from peers (I would guess, at my kids' school), or a recent performance we saw about different holiday traditions. In any case, bits and pieces come in from everywhere, although what he is saying seems so specific and so detailed that it does seem like something an adult would discuss in a conversation.

I think I will speak with his teacher. I do need clarification. Leo is certain that's exactly what she said. It sucks because we have said so many times for him to listen to his teacher. :/ He said she doesn't say hell but instead will say the sound of the letter H and sort of hiss (hopefully that makes sense).

Sorry I misunderstood I thought it was confirmed. Yes I would definitely set up a meeting with the teacher first and find out what was said and in what context. Seems kind of specific though!
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (20M)

Hey so a quick update. I spoke with Leo's teacher this afternoon. She was like oh no, no, no. I don't talk about any of that in class. She said she would speak with her colleagues and see if maybe there has been talk on the playground. Just to see how it's being addressed and make sure the "yard-duties" know not to express their views on the subject. So now I don't know. I asked him where he learned it from and he said a friend, then he said no some tall man, then he said no his brothers. Ugh. Having a six year old is tough business.