Thread: Could I be pregnant?

Question Could I be pregnant?

So I have no idea whether or not I'm pregnant. First I'll start with the fact that I'm 21 and not TTC. I'm on birth control and have always had very regular periods. This month though I took 2 rounds of antibiotics so I don't think it protected me at all. I ovulated on November 25th. I had sex twice during my fertile period; with one being early on the 25th. Then on the 4th (9dpo) I started having light cramps. They didn't last very long so I thought nothing of it until the next time I went to the restroom. I was spotting pinkish red. It ended up getting a little heavier but WAY lighter than a normal period for me (on or off BC). The blood went from pinkish red to dark red/brown and lasted for about 3 days. No mood swings, cravings, or any of my usual PMS symptoms.
    AF was due on the 9th but is a complete no show. AF should've ended two days ago but still no sign of her. For the past week or so I've had to use the bathroom a LOT more often than usual. I am a little bloated and I keep getting these sharp twinges of pain in my lower abdomen. I've also gotten almost period like cramps that keep making me think that AF finally came but no... I've also been tired but for the life of me can't fall asleep until around 6 or 7am.

I'm very confused and nervous about this all. AF is never late and with the two rounds of antibiotics I'm really afraid that I may be pregnant. I took a test this morning and got a BFN but still no AF. I don't know if the bleeding I had was a really light, early period or if it was implantation bleeding. Any opinions please?

EDIT: Sorry if TMI but after I posted this I had a change in my cm. I had been having just a bit of wet, white cm which is weird for me because I almost never have any. It's now changed to a very thick, almost snot like, sticky clearish discharge with a yellow tinge. Even when I ovulate it is much much thinner and stringier than this.
    Last edited by sayu21; 12-14-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Talk to your doctor about your concerns. Always, use back up birth control when taking antibiotics. How late are you?

I'm 5 days late.

Blog Entries

I'm wondering if the antibiotics themselves have caused a late period since they may have impacted your birth control. However, it is also possible that you did ovulate this cycle but could have done so really at any point (so late in your pill pack). I'd keep testing every few days or so until your period arrives. Or I'd go to the doctor and see if they will do a blood test for you at some point.

Oh, I wanted to add that antibiotics can give you various gastrointestinal changes, too - bloating, cramps, nausea, etc.
    Last edited by JJorn; 12-15-2012 at 10:10 AM.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

I am now 7 days late and no sign of AF despite being bloated and crampy.

Quote Originally Posted by JJorn View Post
    I'm wondering if the antibiotics themselves have caused a late period since they may have impacted your birth control. However, it is also possible that you did ovulate this cycle but could have done so really at any point (so late in your pill pack). I'd keep testing every few days or so until your period arrives. Or I'd go to the doctor and see if they will do a blood test for you at some point.

Oh, I wanted to add that antibiotics can give you various gastrointestinal changes, too - bloating, cramps, nausea, etc.
    I looked into whether antibiotics could cause my period to be late. Unfortunately pretty much every source says that while it can inactivate my birth control pills it won't actually cause AF to be late. Unfortunately if I ovulated late there is still a chance that I may have conceived, though I imagine it would be too early for a BFP. I took my first round of antibiotics starting the day before my last period and extending into the first week of my cycle. Was off antibiotics for a few days and then began a new round several days before ovulation and for about a week after. I've been off of them for a couple weeks though.
    I've finally confided in my younger sister and we plan on going tomorrow for more HPTs. I'm definitely going to keep testing every few days until AF comes. If I'm anything like my mother, and I usually am, that may take a while longer than usual. In the meantime I'm staying away from alcohol and too much caffeine just in case.

8 days late and another bfn. What's going on???

i would call your doctor

Unfortunately I'm visiting my mother out of state until Jan. 6th, which is when my next period would be due, so I can't go see my doctor for a couple more weeks.
    11 days late. Tested yesterday am and still bfn. Starting to have
    more symptoms though so it's really confusing. No sore bbs but definitely more tired than usual. Lots of thick, stretchy white cm (TMI!) too. I'm fairly bloated now and my lower back hurts off and on. The past few days I've had waves of nausea come and go, though they seem to be worse after about 2 or 3pm. Haven't actually thrown up yet thankfully but definitely having dry heaves at times. Also, not sure if a pregnancy craving or not (would it be too early?) but the past couple of days I've been craving bananas and chocolate (together) like crazy. I've never eaten this before but it suddenly hit me that I had to have it the other day and I've been eating it a lot now.
    I'm going insane. I either want my bfp or AF now because not knowing is horrible! I definitely feel pregnant. If not then I have no idea what is going on....

11 days late and a negative test I think you can be pretty confident that you are not pregnant. I would guess that the antibiotics caused your period to stay a few days early. Have you continued to take your pills as scheduled?

I'm curious to know why you thought you were ovulating and why you didn't use back up protection if you knew you were ovulating? If you were indeed ovulating, that would be an indication that your bc was not working.
    Last edited by runningmomofmany; 12-22-2012 at 01:26 AM.