Thread: More HCG questions...

Question More HCG questions...

So I have posted a couple of times about my current confusing situation... but here it is again:

I had a miscarriage 7 weeks ago at 5-6 weeks (they weren't sure but it was too early to see anything on u/s). I bled for about 4 days. Roughly 2 weeks after the bleeding stopped, I took a HPT that came back negative. However, I never had my blood work done to officially monitor the levels.

Two nights ago, I took a HPT again because I had symptoms similar to what I experienced prior to the last pregnancy, and it came back positive. I had my levels drawn yesterday, and my HCG is 290, progesterone 13.5. The nurse said they were still unsure about whether these were old levels still declining, or levels from a new pregnancy that were beginning to rise.

I am having my blood drawn again tomorrow to see if they are rising, and I know I won't know anything until then, but I am kind of freaking out and wondering if anyone has ever experienced anything similar or has any kind of insight into the situation. Is it possible that this is a new pregnancy? I never had a period after I miscarried. If it is a new pregnancy, do these numbers seem low? I am so conflicted and confused about what to think, and so worried about going through another miscarriage.

Thanks for your feedback.

it is either that your levels have not returned to normal after the miscarriage, or a new pregnancy. If it is a new pregnancy the levels mean absolutely nothing until you have a second (and sometimes a 3rd) draw to compare the numbers. Since you did have a negative test in there it seems likely that it is a new pregnancy. Good luck!

Since you did have a negative HPT in between is does seem more likely its a new pregnancy, but the only way to find out for sure is to see if your levels increase. Last December I had a miscarriage at around 5 weeks and then got pregnant again immediately after. I had a normal, healthy pregnancy and my son is now almost 3 months old. Best of luck!
    Last edited by Adhafera; 12-19-2012 at 01:14 AM.
    Jennifer