Thread: clamping down and pulling back

Default clamping down and pulling back

omg how can I get her to stop doing this?! It's killing me She is 6M....
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

What would her response be if as soon as she does that you told her in a serious but soft voice "Owie! That hurts mommy! Be soft. Soft mouth, baby." And then when she latches back on give her lots of positive feedback for being so nice and soft, and give lots of big snuggles. If she does the clamping and pulling back more than 3 times in a row I would usually say end the nursing session and try again in a few minutes, but I know getting her to nurse at all has been an issue, so that may not be a good idea....

Haha she would probably look at me like this: I end up yelling OW! And she looks at me and I say "please don't do that!" in a kind of whiny voice She is a super fast nurser so this is usually towards the end of the session and I give her one or 2 more chances and then end it because I just can't take it anymore. It doesn't seem to phase her...

I don't think she cares if I take it away. She is so not a boob baby. She is all business at the boob. And "reprimanding" doesn't seem to have much of an effect being she is so young.

Maybe I just need to catch her as soon as she is done but I don't always know when that is because she is so fast I always want to make sure I know she has had enough, you know?
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Blog Entries

I would also say ouch and give one more chance. But if it always happens toward the end of the nursing session, I'd probably just call her done after the first one. Both my kids were fast nursers and any nonsense meant that they were in fact done.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

I would say ouch and then stop nursing for at least 1-2 minutes as well as praise him/her for nursing without clamping down, so that LO gets the clear message nursing w/o clamping will be rewarded and clamping will mean nursing stops. This worked really well for DS1. I ended up having to take a really firm approach w/ DS1 as he broke the skin on both of my nipples and I had to keep nursing him- it was very painful and so I was not physically able to tolerate giving him multiple chances.

Same thing happened to me when Sonja was almost 8 months. A day later she leaned over and chomped on my banana. Maybe she's ready to try biting a simple food?
    Leigh(36)/Matt(40)/Sonja Lily(4)/Damien Andrew(1.5)

My dd does it too, and now age has teeth! She is also a "just nurse and be done with it kind of gal", and the bite always comes at the end of the feeding. Now when she does it she is done and I don't give her another chance. I have tried pushing her face in my boob, pouting my finger on her mouth firmly and saying no bite, putting her down. Pretty much every suggestion ive gotten I have tried. Except pulling her hair and nothing has cured her. I hope you have better luck!