Thread: HSG Test

Default HSG Test

For anyone that's taken this test, is it fine to drive afterwards? It's an hour away and we just realized that my DH will be away at work on that day so he won't be there We are worried that I won't be able to go now because I am not sure if I'm able to drive right after, do they put you under anesthesia? Or is it just the pelvic area they numb?

Cait[24] & Gene-Paul[28] Dx with PCOS & Left Tube Blocked Dec. '12
    03/22/13
    Sean Patrick born 3/11/14, 7lbs 13oz

I definitely could have driven after the test. I had no sedative and no numbing-I'm not exactly sure what that would be. I took 800mg Ibuprofen and 1000mg Tylenol about an hour before the procedure and that was it. The procedure was pretty fast, prob just a few minutes, with about 30 sec of extreme cramping-otherwise it was no worse than a pap or IUI. Good luck to you!

Erica 33, DH 34, STC for 4+ years, Diagnosed DOR 4/2011, mom to 4 , Barbados IVF March 2013!!!

Quote Originally Posted by akhiker View Post
    I definitely could have driven after the test. I had no sedative and no numbing-I'm not exactly sure what that would be. I took 800mg Ibuprofen and 1000mg Tylenol about an hour before the procedure and that was it. The procedure was pretty fast, prob just a few minutes, with about 30 sec of extreme cramping-otherwise it was no worse than a pap or IUI. Good luck to you!
    Same here...I had no sedation or numbing. Was relatively quick and painless (except for the moderate cramping a few short times). However...you should talk to your Dr first. I've heard that some women have been put under anesthesia for it.

Thanks ladies, I plan on calling tomorrow probably or when I need to call and schedule the test. I thought it would be fine but a girl I work with said she had to wear a diaper? I was assuming because she got numbed down there and couldn't hold her urine back but maybe not?

Cait[24] & Gene-Paul[28] Dx with PCOS & Left Tube Blocked Dec. '12
    03/22/13
    Sean Patrick born 3/11/14, 7lbs 13oz

Not sure why, but everyone is different...as is every Dr. Hopefully your procedure won't be a big deal. I did spott pretty heavily for 2-3 days afterward, so I wore tampons like I was on a period. Good luck to you! FX for the best possible outcome!
    ~Jenn~ Mom to Ethan - my heart surgery survivor - born 6/29/09

I just thought of another thing...it's possible she wore a diaper because of residual ink? Mine was over 4 years ago and I don't really remember that part of it...
    ~Jenn~ Mom to Ethan - my heart surgery survivor - born 6/29/09

I know I had to wear a pad because of something, probably the dye or spotting, I can't recall. It was bad for me though, I had severe cramping and passed out during it, . I wouldn't have been able to drive, but it's different for everyone.
    Took us 20 months to catch our little elf!! to all my TTC friends!

I have had it done twice. The first time the doc prescribed me a valium but I didn't end up taking it because I had to drive myself to work after the test. It definitely hurt during the procedure but I pretty much worked a full day afterwards with no problems. I don't remember the second time hurting as bad.

By the way we had great results after the first HSG test. They found I had a blocked fallopian tube and the dye unblocked it for me. We concieved our son Ayden that cycle. Good luck to you!!
    ME:Erin(28) DH: Matthew(27)

Blog Entries

I could totally have driven afterwards but did not need to do so. I took Tylenol about 30 minutes before the procedure and had one instance of a moderate cramp. I was in and out in about 20 minutes and only needed a pad. I bled moderately for that day (it could have looked like more than it was since the dye likely came out, too).
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

I just had one done about 2 weeks ago and was kinda freaked out. The worst part was the speculum. It was easy peasy for me. Took less than 15 mins from beginning to end, and I'm talking me taking off my pants and getting all situated and then getting dressed again. I felt a little pain when the dye went in and had little twinges after here and there but I didn't bleed at all and I only wore a pad to catch any dye that might fall out.
    Candice, 28, STC 7+ years