Thread: Missed miscarriage

Default Missed miscarriage

I don't know where to post this but I was wondering about others expirences....please share if you don't mind or PM me if that's more comfertable.

I'm waiting to miscarry. I (finally) started bleeding yesterday but its still not enough to wear a pad or panty liner. I'm getting little stringy mucus that is black/red/brown but no real clots. I have no pain or cramps what so ever!

I feel like a prisoner in my house because I don't want to go anywhere in fear that I will start to bleed all over the place while I'm out lol.

Did you miscarry pain free? How long did your MC take? How much did you bleed?

I'm trying to avoid a D&C but I'm anxiously waiting to get this over with.

My first pregnancy was a mmc. I opted for the d&c because I was scared of waiting. If I'd understood the risks better I would have gone the route you are going, but it does suck to have to wait it out. Sorry I can't give you any answers to your questions.

Missing my thoraco-omphalopagus conjoined twin boys born on 9/18/12 at 33 weeks.
    Dh (teacher, 33) and I (SAHM, 32) have been married 8 years since May

I have no advice but I just wanted you to know that I am thinking about you all the time.
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

I had the same discharge and much like you I was scared to go anywhere in fear it would be bad. I waited about 3 weeks like that before the D&C. I know Jessica (jjorn) waited it out with success. I'm sorry momma. Big hugs.

Blog Entries

I did wait it out. I knew something wasn't right the whole pregnancy and my m/s was gone by 10 weeks. I finally saw my doctor at just before 12 weeks, had the ultrasound and the baby was already smaller than when I had the scan at 8 weeks and a few days. So, the baby's heart beat stopped sometime after 8 weeks and a few days and I miscarried exactly at 12 weeks, at 11w6d I started to bleed and the next day I miscarried. For me, it was like a mini labor with contractions about every 10 minutes. I was home alone with my kids (my DH was a 4 hour flight away and couldn't get home). The contractions and most of the bleeding was done in two hours. I bled more like a regular period after that.

Here is the link to my chart for that.
    Last edited by JJorn; 12-12-2012 at 10:06 AM.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    Check out our business, JRSolutions.

I had some brown discharge that you're talking about with my MMC in June and chose to wait another week but nothing more than that ever happened for me. After that week, I had to have a D&C. I was extremely grateful that I was able to wait but my body just wouldn't cooperate. Thankfully the D&C was nothing like I had imagined, and everything went smoothly.

Hugs to you! I hope you get to do this naturally, and am very sorry again for your loss.
    Angela, Andrew & Nicholas

Three sweet angels in heaven

I have had 2 miscarrages that started with spotting for a day and then started having a very heavy period with lots of clots and cramps. I'm sorry you are having to go through this. Big hugs to you!
    Missing my angels. Forever my babies. Gone but not forgotten! I will see you three again one day!!![/FONT]

tiggerlb Guest

I had very light bleeding (like what you describe) and never got any heavier and had to have my first dnc. Then my second I had about 6 hrs of very heavy bleeding then it tapered off to just spotting for about 24 hrs then nothing more. I had an u/s done 1 week later and all was still there and was put in hossy for a stat DNC due to so much deterioration my doc was afraid I would developed an infection in my uterus. I was relieved after both of my dnc that it was finally over with and I could get off the roller coaster and start over.

My first 2 miscarriages were missed miscarriages. The first time the baby stopped developing at about 6.5 wks but didn't find out until close to 11 wks. I didn't do the DNC, though, I took the pills. The second time was essentially the same. This last one, however, everything happened normally and naturally without being missed or needing pills. It started like you describe on a Sunday and by Monday at noon after lots of cramping it passed. I wouldn't say it was painful, just very uncomfortable. As soon as it was over the icky feelings went away.
    Me (40), DH (50), DSS (23), DSS (19), 4/09, 10/09,
    DD born 2-12-2011
    , 10/12

Are the pain pills they give you for a d&c OK to take while BFing....is the vaginal pill to induce a MC OK to take while BFing?

I am still in the midst of my first miscarrage. I was about 9 weeks when we had our first ultrasound & found that we didn't have a heartbeat & only measured a little over 5 weeks. Waited another week to see if any developement and there was none. I didn't have any bleeding or cramping to suggest I'd miscarry on my own. Since I was already 4-5 weeks beyond what I was measuring I opted for the D&C. The procedure wasn't bad, no pain only mild cramping afterwards. I've been having the discharge you mention you're currently having for 2 weeks now. I have a follow up appt with my doc next Monday to see if we need to do something further. PG test still showed positive this morning...really tired of being in limbo.
    So sorry you have to go through this. Hopefully it'll go quickly & smoothly for you.
    Anna (35), DH (47), Little Man (4), , new baby in the making..due date 7/19/2014.

first MMC I had I began to miscarry on my own and really hate to say it but it was more painful then delivering DS but I was not mentally prepared for it like I was for birth. The whole thing lasted 24 hrs then it was like a standard period after that. My second one I refused to endure that again and did a D&C plus testing the tissue. I was spotting pre op then post op I only spotted off and on for the week then I was done. I am so sorry you are going though this.

tiggerlb Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dunegirl View Post
    Are the pain pills they give you for a d&c OK to take while BFing....is the vaginal pill to induce a MC OK to take while BFing?
    I was given a script for percoset and motrin 800mgs. I filled the motrin and threw away the percoset script. I only took the motrin 3 x,s then went to tlyneol the rest. It was only mild af cramps I was getting after.

Thank you everyone!! The obgyn I saw said that they don't like to wait beyond 4 weeks from when the fetus died because the risk of infection increases at that point. But if I don't have any signs of infects should I still wait it out or get a d&c?

Mine have all been chemicals so no advice, but big
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I am so sorry for your loss, and can't really offer any advice, as this choice is a deeply personal one. I can tell you my experience. I had a mmc at 8 weeks, waited another week, and since HCG was still minutely going up, opted for a D&C. After STC for 3 years it was so difficult to lose our first pregnancy, and I was terrified to m/c at work (even though I work with a bunch of incredible nurses). I feel that the D&C was the best choice for me-I knew the anesthesiologist and so got general anesthesia (completely asleep) and got the first rest I had had in a few weeks. I didn't need any pain meds and I only spotted for a couple of days afterwards. It took about a month for my HCG to come down and start a new cycle.

Tons of for you

Erica 33, DH 34, STC for 4+ years, Diagnosed DOR 4/2011, mom to 4 , Barbados IVF March 2013!!!

tiggerlb Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dunegirl View Post
    Thank you everyone!! The obgyn I saw said that they don't like to wait beyond 4 weeks from when the fetus died because the risk of infection increases at that point. But if I don't have any signs of infects should I still wait it out or get a d&c?
    If you look at it you have already waited 3 weeks for it to occur (from the first u/s with no hb seen) so I would either give it till the weekend to see if it will happen naturally or my choice would be to just go ahead with the dnc. Since I was just in the situation recently where there was so much deteriation and being sent right to the hossy for a stat dnc due to the high risk of infection I do suggest just going with the dnc. An infection may cause loss of fertility or a hysterectomy. But it is still your choice in doing what is best for you. But you can also have risks with the dnc. Main ones uterine puncture, excessive scaring, all which may lead to a hysterectomy also. There is also a risk of needing a blood transfusion if bleeding to much.

I've m/ced naturally 7x (induced twice for second-tri losses). My 4-6wk losses were like a heavy, crampy period but my 7-10wk ones were more like an intense mini-labor with time-able contrx and heavier bleeding with tissue and clots. With my 9wk loss I even had a little gush of fluid when my water broke and delivered a little larger than golf-ball sized placenta (baby had stopped growing at 6wks but after the 3wks of waiting there was no discernable signs of baby).

I only had dncs after the deliveries of my 2nd-tri losses. The longest I've ever waited was 3wks but I would be willing to wait 4wks from the time baby stopped growing.

(((Hugs)))...so sorry momma

Oh, and yes the vag meds are okay to take while bfing...my ob was going to prescribe it for me but I never ended up needing it and he was aware I was bfing at the time. The pain pills should be fine too since your LO is older...just don't co-sleep if it includes a narcotic.

I didn't even need the pain meds after my D&C. I waited 3 weeks from our first u/s the risk of hemmorage made me very nervous since I was 10 weeks so I opted for the procedure. I was put to sleep and had just a little spotting for 2-3 days after.

Ugh this sucks!! I really don't want a d&c....maybe I could try the pill suppository thing. The doc wants me to come back this coming Monday to see how things are progressing and possibly for a d&c. But maybe I could get the pill thing and insert it Sunday and then get checked on Monday?

Since you want to avoid a dnc if possible I think that sounds like a good next step.

It does suck...(((hugs)))...I hate it for you...makes me so sad

You're in my thoughts and prayers!

Blog Entries

I also really didn't want a D&C. I've had enough surgical procedures and general anesthesia can mess me up for a month. If you are spotting and such, I'd wait it out a bit longer. Don't let them push you or scare you into doing anything that you don't want to do. If I hadn't miscarried when I had I would have done the vaginal pill before ever agreeing to a D&C.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.

tiggerlb Guest

On a + side of a dnc it does in my opinion make it easier to get a healthy baby. Well at least it seemed that way to me I got pg with my son 10 weeks post dnc and had no problems what so ever. I beleive it gives a renew to the uterus by taking all the old lining out(even some extra spots that did not break down fully during af) A new fresh lining for the egg to inplant in nice n soft and not old n tough. I am waiting to see if this way of thinking holds true for me or not in the next bfp i get.

My doc put the risks of a dnc as I have a better chance of getting in a car wreck than I do of complications from the dnc. My fear for you is that you will become ill from an infection the longer your body hangs onto the pg. I would call your doc to ask about the pill thing or even the injection (methotrexaite) I think this is the name of the med they use to help a person mc. Maybe you could get either the pill or the shot tomorrow then get checked on monday. give it a few extra days for the medicines to work. If you smell any strange odors down there get to the hossy ASAP because it is a sign of infection or a fever while you are waiting on monday to get here. If no results by monday please seriously consider the dnc for your own health. With my last dnc I was put back in my room and 30 min later I was driving home. Yes I was alittle funny feeling but I could still focus well. Dh has no driver licese so no choice lol.Very minor cramping afterwards and only spotting for a few days.

I'm so sorry. I just wanted to say that the reason I wished that I had known more and not had the D&C was because it can cause scarring and it's a risk factor for retained placenta (which I had with both ds1 and dd.) The procedure wasn't bad and recovery was fine. I don't think I even took any medication past the first day. Do what you feel is best for you.

Missing my thoraco-omphalopagus conjoined twin boys born on 9/18/12 at 33 weeks.
    Dh (teacher, 33) and I (SAHM, 32) have been married 8 years since May

Blog Entries

I just want to say that I have gotten pregnant three times with trying just the one month since my natural miscarriage at 12 weeks. I did miscarry two of those but only due to a severe allergic reaction I was having. So, I highly doubt that having a D&C increases the likelihood of a successful subsequent pregnancy. The majority of the time your body can deliver a baby with no need for a D&C and have a period with no need for a D&C so why can't it successfully miscarry in nearly all cases?

Ok, I will bow out. I just feel that our medical community is so quick to offer an alternative solution which while it may be convenient carries much higher risks. Sometimes the alternative works out great and sometimes there are big consequences. And often the alternative and any subsequent consequences just gives the doctor lots of money.

I'm going in tomorrow to get the suppository and they will do an ultrasound too. They don't have appointments so I'll be there all darn afternoon. The doctors do rounds in the hospital so I could be there forever like I was last week! It's super annoying!!

I'm not really spotting or bleeding today. I never really bled that much...I only wore a panty liner for half a day and it was only spotty. So I guess my body isn't letting to of the pregnancy and I will probably need a d&c

tiggerlb Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JJorn View Post
    I just want to say that I have gotten pregnant three times with trying just the one month since my natural miscarriage at 12 weeks. I did miscarry two of those but only due to a severe allergic reaction I was having. So, I highly doubt that having a D&C increases the likelihood of a successful subsequent pregnancy. The majority of the time your body can deliver a baby with no need for a D&C and have a period with no need for a D&C so why can't it successfully miscarry in nearly all cases?

Ok, I will bow out. I just feel that our medical community is so quick to offer an alternative solution which while it may be convenient carries much higher risks. Sometimes the alternative works out great and sometimes there are big consequences. And often the alternative and any subsequent consequences just gives the doctor lots of money.
    I have also gotten pg after natural mc's. But with issues like spotting early on. The only pg with no issues was the one after the dnc. I beleive it was highly possible that I retained tissues from my deliverys and from normal af's due to the spotting all the weird times in my cycles which was not normal for me at all. Dnc does not guarentee a succesful next pg but it my mind I beleive it higly increases the chances for a succesful one with no issues.

Sakura Guest

I found out at my 12 week appt that I had a blighted ovum. The sac has stopped growing at around 7 weeks. I finally starting miscarrying at 13wd2. It was very hard to wait, but I'm also glad I did not have to have a d&c. I woke up to spotting and then it got heavy later that evening, around 7 or 8 and it was heavy and the cramps hurt until about 4 am. I bled for a total of 10 or 11 days. My first af came 30 days after the mc started and then I conceived the twins that very cycle.