Thread: What is your opinion on this?

Default What is your opinion on this?

I want to quit drinking soda and coffee. I know, obviously, its healthier for the baby. I'm wondering though, is it safe for me to quit 'cold turkey'? I'm 19w and I don't want to put a lot of stress on the baby if I cut out caffeine completely. I've read different opinions about this online. I'm really nervous because one girl said she had a miscarraige after quitting cold turkey (that question was about smoking though). What's everyone's opinion on quitting cold turkey in the middle of the pregnancy?

Granted, I wasn't pregnant at the time, but when I stopped drinking soda 5 years ago, I quit cold turkey and noticed only positive health benefits immediately (weight loss, clearer skin, more energy), I don't see that changing with pregnancy.
    In terms of the coffee, whole we were TTC I slowly added more decaf into my cup than regular and by the time I got pg I was completely on decaf which I have since stopped all together. I wouldn't quit the coffee cold turkey bc you will probably suffer from major headaches. Try working your way to half decaf/half regular and slowly add more decaf every few days. Good luck! It will be better for you and the baby! And I can't believe I'm saying it, but I don't even miss coffee.

I like to do things in moderation. Transition slowly has always worked better for me. I was never a big soda drinker, but if it is bothering you, I would cut back slowly. If you have 2/day then cut back to 1/day for a week and then try 1 everyother day. I would occasionally have a soda or tea when pregnant and didn't have any issues. But every pregnancy/baby is different. I would try not to stress about it and make a concious decision to cut back on (fill in the blank) soda/coffe/sweets/etc. I think knee-jerk reactions are much harder for mom and baby to handle. Just my opinion. Good luck!

I have tried to cut out caffeine, I'm 26 weeks, and I had an awful time going cold turkey. The headaches were unbearable. I never did cut it out completely, just reduced it a great deal.

If you do go cold turkey I wouldn't be worried about a miscarriage. Smoking increases the chance of miscarriage, so the cold turkey quitting probably did not cause that persons miscarriage. It could have even been unrelated to the smoking.

When I doubt call the OB

I agree with gradually cutting it out. If you drink soda for the caffeine, then cut that out and continue with just coffee (drink lots of water too) and then gradually cut out the amount of coffee. I think the only bad thing with be in the way you feel rather than hurting the baby. But, it'll get better after time and you'll feel much better than when you drank soda and coffee all of the time.
    ~Jenn~ Mom to Ethan - my heart surgery survivor - born 6/29/09

The only down side from quitting caffeine cold turkey is you going through withdrawal. In a few days you'll feel fine though. I did it over a course of 1 week and weaned myself off coffee. I'm doing fine now! But I'm looking forward to having a cup after this baby is born!
    Leigh(35)/Matt(39)/Sonja Lily(3.75)/Damien Andrew(1yr)

Withdrawal from various substances have various results. There is some evidence that quitting smoking cold turkey while pregnant can have serious consequences. Many health care providers suggest quitting prior to becoming pregnant or cutting back during pregnancy rather than quitting cold turkey. Caffeine, on the other hand, isn't smoking. The primary side effect of immediate withdrawal from caffeine is headaches. Not everyone experiences headaches, depending on the amount and frequency of the caffeine intake. If you take in a lot of caffeine often, then you may want to gradually cut down for your own comfort, but there's no risk to the baby.
    Mary Jane, doula and mom of Vada, Brynna, Tea, Moira, Kyan, Ambria, Aslan, and Anakin.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~ Dr. Seuss

tiggerlb Guest

I am a smoker and my doc told me it was better to just cut down over totally stopping. She also has the same opinion on the caffeine things. She said just stopping could send the body into shock so to speak by just stopping. When it is used to things on a daily basis. And for me she just recommended cutting back on all. I was able to cut out the pop all together and just drank my normal 3 cups coffee a day and on the smoking I went from 2 packs a day down to 15 some days it was only 10 smokes a day. I had no problems.

I'm a smoker as well, I was somking a pack n a half a day n now down to 6-9 cigs a day... My Dr told me the same thing, stopping cold turkey could put me n the baby into sock plus with having a background in depression, could be bad for both of us... The coffee I was about to quit cold turkey bc I would get sick at times I need some soda but I'm usually gd with root beer
    Gd luck to all

I think quite a few people cut caffiene out cold turkey when they find out they are pregnant. One of my first preggo symptoms with my last baby was coffee tasted bad. I wasn't a heavy coffee drinker, but I definitely cut it out all at once. I don't even remember having headaches, but I was so sick maybe that over shadowed those memories, lol. I have never read any warnings to cut out caffiene gradually to avoid harming the baby. I think if it was a real issue it would be addressed regularly along with the whole caffiene discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by runningmomofmany View Post
    I think quite a few people cut caffiene out cold turkey when they find out they are pregnant. One of my first preggo symptoms with my last baby was coffee tasted bad....I don't even remember having headaches, but I was so sick maybe that over shadowed those memories, lol.
    me too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerlb View Post
    I am a smoker and my doc told me it was better to just cut down over totally stopping.
    for the whole pregnancy??? Or just weaning yourself off????
    Me (34), DH (36), DS1, DS2 & 1 Angel (1/17/2012)

I would go slowly as well! You can definitely have caffeine withdrawal so slow is better for you and babe!
    ~ Jess ~ Proud momma of Hayden (7/29/06) Ava (3/14/08) Rainbow Baby Carter (6/8/12)

Thanks ladies, I'm definitely not a heavy coffee drinker (maybe one small cup a week).. so cutting coffee out is no problem for me. it's the sodas I have a problem with. Luckily I like root beer and sprite and those are caffiene free. It shouldn't be too hard, plus after thinking about it, I don't think I consume as much caffiene as I think.
    Me - 22 | Gregory - 28 | Amelia - 5/14/2013 | Liberache - Meow | Panda Bear - Meow

tiggerlb Guest

Quote Originally Posted by babykenny View Post
    me too!!!

for the whole pregnancy??? Or just weaning yourself off????
    stay cut down for the pg. totally stopping would still be to much stress on my body. Plus the added side effects from stopping altogether. I quit once for 6 weeks (not pg) and I felt awful sick to my stomach non stop and awful migrain headaches. I tried the patches and I felt like stoned on them like it was to much for my system. I have also been a smoker for 20+yrs now so it is not as easy done than said. I also don't have any desire to quit either. To me it is alot better than doing drugs or drinking. I also smoke a little healthier tobacco by it not having any additives in it. I buy just straight tobacco and roll my own (with a filter) only cots 21.00 bucks a week for dh and I ciggarrets.

Wow. Ok.

I'm not a smoker, so I guess I don't get why it's better in the long run to quit versus keep smoking... My sister struggled with asthma since she was a baby, so we feel very strongly about respiratory issues.
    Me (34), DH (36), DS1, DS2 & 1 Angel (1/17/2012)