Thread: nursing and foods

Default nursing and foods

Is it really possible for things like acidic foods to pass through breast milk? From what I know of nursing it doesn't make sense. It would be like saying if you eat spicy foods your blood would be spicy...but I have been battling horrendous diaper rashes with DD3 since birth. I finally started giving her probiotics which I thought took care of it. Yesterday I change her diaper and there it is - back again I had tomato sauce on Saturday night. I suspected tomato sauce during the previous breakout and I think had pizza the night before the last rash....but it seems silly that the acid in the tomato sauce would pass through breast milk?

I understand something like caffeine, nicotine or alcohol but tomato sauce?! Does that make sense? I took a Vit C pill and now I am paranoid!

Anyone have experience with this?
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

I do think it passes through. I say that because DS2 could not tolerate my eating soy or dairy. He had a rash and poop was not normal.

Perhaps your DD is at least intolerant of tomatoes. If I were you, I would cut out citrus for a while, and see what happens. If she is ok, I would add back some citrus, maybe some fruits. If she is still ok, I might try tomatoes again.

I was planning to avoid tomatoes and i dont eat citrus fruits really...would the vit c have the same effect? I really need to take it now as DD2 has a cold and i think i am getting it!

Oh and my past 2 kids would get soooo cranky when i ate chinese food. I assumed that was msg related...

I think do think one of my babies had a problem with tomato sauce, I agree it doesn't make any sense! But experience says otherwise. Dairy could be the culprit too, if it happened with pizza or other italian food. Do you often have dairy?

I agree it doesnt make sense. Maybe its more the garlic or strong flavors in the sauce/pizza? Those definitely can pass thru into milk. Or did your pizza have have pepperoni? That usually has nitrates, it could possibly even have MSG.

I haven't really noticed anything personally, but my cousin swore that acidic food did make a difference with both of her daughters. She tends to eat a lot of salsa and had to cut it out of her diet completely when she was Bfing. She actually sent me an email specifically about this, just before DS was born, to warn me to watch what I ate. I do think there may be something to it.
    Jennifer

The natural dye in tomato can cause intolerance in babies whether consumed directly or passed through mom's milk. I would also think strong flavours and if the tomato sauce was commercial, there might be some ingredients that cause reaction. And I agree ESPECIALLY with MSG. Both my girls had reaction to MSG I consumed. Even small amounts.
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

Blog Entries

My friend's first had many food sensitivities. One of them was tomatoes and she could not even eat them raw. She was on a very restricted diet while nursing him.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart