Thread: what size bike?

Default what size bike?

DS1 (4 yrs old) is getting a bike for Christmas!

I am ordering one online since I would have to bring him along to the store.

I see one that I think he would really like. It comes in 2 sizes, 12 in. and 16 in. The smaller says ages 3-5, the bigger 4-8.

I don't know how tall DS1 is. Some people look at him and say he is tall for his age, but I think he is average.

He is below average with his gross motor skills. I don't know if a smaller one would be better because of that. We also have a younger boy who can use it. But, I also don't want it to be too small.

This is his first bike!

Personally I would go with a 16in bike. I would only do 12in if he was really small for his age. Emme is really tall, not yet 4, and has had a 16in bike for well over a year. She can pretty easily ride the 20in bikes.

We bought my DD a bike for Christmas and I wanna say it is a 12" but she is only 2 1/2 so I would say go with the 16".

We got all three 16's in July for their Bday. Xander had to bump up to an 18 just a few months later, as did Hayden...they are both 44". Lily is not quite 44" and the 16 still works for her.

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (6) and Jericho (3 1/2)

I think Katie's is a 12", but she is very small for 4 1/2. We have a used 16" one that someone gave us, though, for when she outgrows the 12". Personally, I would take him to the store and have him try out the sizes to see which would be better for him. You can do that without him knowing you're buying one for Christmas.
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!

They do make 14" bikes. We bought one for DS from Walmart last year and he's on the higher end of the charts in height (tallest in his pre k class of 4/5yr olds). The 16" was too big for him he couldn't maneuver it properly and got overwhelmed and the 12" was too small his knees were going into his chest while peddling.

I felt like the 16" ones were BIG. My kids are small. We got a hand me down 12" bike for DD1 when she was 4 and it was perfect but the next year it seemed a little small for her but the 16" was still too big for her. She is kind of weak. There is no way she would have been able to handle the 16". I am not sure she can now at 6 years old.

I would have him go sit on a few at the store. The 16" makes more sense but if it's too big it will be useless. It may be especially difficult if it's his first bike - it may seem overwhelming for him. The 12" wont be wasted since you have another child who will be able to use it but you may just have to upgrade next year....
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

We bought Sam a 14 inch bike for his birthday from Walmart.
    Our Family <3 Est. July 2007 <3
    Samuel (5 years), Elliott (3 years), and Evelyn (1 year).

Quote Originally Posted by Bec View Post
    They do make 14" bikes. We bought one for DS from Walmart last year and he's on the higher end of the charts in height (tallest in his pre k class of 4/5yr olds). The 16" was too big for him he couldn't maneuver it properly and got overwhelmed and the 12" was too small his knees were going into his chest while peddling.
    what she said ^

i was looking on walmart's site, and I didnt see any 14-inch ones..i'll have to look again. i think i might try to bring him tomorrow to the toy store to try some.

I measured him, and he is 41 in. Not sure if that is tall or not

We got DD1, who is just 5, a 16" bike for Christmas. We have a 12" bike that will go to DD2, who is 3. She is big enough for it. He will probably need the 16" if you can't find a 14". Our 16" came with training wheels and I'm sure the seat hight is adjustable. I wanted her to have some room to grow with it, she is way too big for the 12" but was riding it all summer, LOL.
    Growing fast... DD1 (6) & DD2 (4)
    Forever loved, forever missed... Twin Girls with us for 19w3d 6/12/06

Alexis has a 16" one that she can ride just fine.

*Kimberly* Mommy to Hayden (7), Alexis (5), Makenzie & Brooke (18m)!
    Looking for some bows for your little one? check us out --> www.sweetnsassycouture.com

we went to the store to ride them. he was probably most comfortable on the 12 inch one, but I had it at the highest seat level, and he will use it in the spring, so we got him the 14-inch one. The 16 inch one was too big. I feel bad because he really wanted the lightning mcqueen one, but it didnt come in that size.

My 4 yo, who is average height, has a 14 inch bike. The 16 inch was a bit too big, and the 12 inch was ridiculously small for him.