Thread: If you don't medicate for fevers...

Default If you don't medicate for fevers...

So I know the science behind not medicating for fevers and so unless ds has been in discomfort we haven't given him any pain medication to reduce his fever. Dd is sick right now (some form of bronchiolitis - could be RSV, the flu, etc) and is running a fever. I find that each time that one of them is sick that even though I know why not to give fever reducers, I still struggle not to give it to them. Mainly, because I was raised that if you had a fever you took pain meds. I find that I have to talk myself down repeatedly from the "ledge" and concern over them being sick and me not giving them any medicine. Anyone else? Does this ever go away?

Blog Entries

I always debate some, too. If they are acting ill then I medicate if they are happy I do not. With my DD, she can run a fever and still act pretty normal but my DS almost always needs something when he is running one. So, you may medicate each child differently.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    Check out our business, JRSolutions.

I usually just remind myself that the fever is fighting whatever she has going on. That part is honestly not that hard for me, but I only feel that way over low grade fevers. If she gets up over 102.5, I medicate (that's only happened during one illness in her life). I'm too freaked out by the chance of seizures from it getting too high.

Great point - Ty!

Quote Originally Posted by MomOfAnOnly View Post
    I usually just remind myself that the fever is fighting whatever she has going on. That part is honestly not that hard for me, but I only feel that way over low grade fevers. If she gets up over 102.5, I medicate (that's only happened during one illness in her life). I'm too freaked out by the chance of seizures from it getting too high.
    Me too even though I know it's rare...but I honestly hardly ever take their temps even when ey are running a fever.

I don't give meds unless it is necessary. If a child has a fever and is acting normal, I do not medicate. However, if he still has a fever before bed, I may give him some to help him be more comfortable.

Same here. Although I do have one child that will suddenly spike a super high fever (as in 105+) so I medicate anything over100.5 with him. He's only had a febrile seizure once...fever of 106.3 after a Td vaccination when he was 11yrs. Scary!

I also medicate a child who is obviously in pain and/or miserably sick and not sleeping.

This what we do!

L got a febrile delusion once when she was a toddler. NEVER again. Anything over 102.5 gets a dose, anything under doesn't. Also, usually when their fever is under 102.5 they are acting completely normal. If they are acting sick and they have low grade fever, I usually would medicate to make them feel better though.

Blog Entries

I understand where you are coming from and I'm much the same way. I've only administered meds once for fever. Last fall Madison had a super high fever and kept waking up, disillusioned. It scared me that her fever was so high--103.

I should add that I have given Tylenol for major sore throats, too, because a really sore throat can be totally miserable.

I find I have to throw out a lot of old meds (some unopened) b/c we just don't use them too often and they expire.

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

I rarely even take a temperature, and only treat by how unhappy they are. I've noticed the older they get the more miserable they are with a fever. I have 2 girls who can get very high fevers, one once had a fever of 106, and we did go to the ER for that, and let me tell you, if you come in through triage with a baby with a 106 fever you get straight to a room I had already given ibuprofen and a bit later when I realized it wasn't going down I pulled out the thermometer. Just this past week my 8yr old had a fever of 104.5 with the flu. I gave her tylenol after she had already had ibuprofen, she was pretty miserable. But- even with those really high fevers none of my kids have had a seizure, so it isn't at all a given! Some kids who are prone to febrile seizures can get them even from just getting over heated from running around (happened to a child I had in daycare once, very scary!).

So, anyway, yes, you do get used to the idea that fevers are OK.

I always have a cabinet full of expired meds it seems! We are rarely sick, so it seems any time some one does get sick we have to go get all new meds because everything we have is expired. Such a pain. We all had the flu last week and it happened then. Poor DH had to go out and stock up. We all had a couple doses of cold meds and I bet I'll throw the rest away in a couple years when we get sick again

We were not big on meds with the triplets, unless they were really miserable. Jericho however likes to have seizures when he has a fever, so he gets meds at 99-100 without fail.

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (5 1/2) and Jericho (3)
    My Blog!

Thanks ladies for your input. I kept rereading this thread last night for comfort.

I usually give her tylenol or motrin if she is running a fever. She had Febrile seizures from fever when she was younger, so I just don't risk it. I'm not big on throwing meds at things right away, but I would rather medicate her if she has a fever than have her go through another seizure.

I am always googling the magic temp that needs to be crossed before you give them meds. I am always nervous and feel like a rebel when I don't treat a fever. I too end up tossing a lot of expired meds.

Jeanne, mom to Dev0n (5) Isabe11e (4) and C0rbin (3) Vio1et (16 months)

Quote Originally Posted by tyvek View Post
    I am always googling the magic temp that needs to be crossed before you give them meds. I am always nervous and feel like a rebel when I don't treat a fever. I too end up tossing a lot of expired meds.
    Good to know I'm not alone!

I always debate it some too. If tend to almost always medicate anything about 102.5 only because they are usually miserable at that point. If they aren't, I don't though.
    Our Family <3 Est. July 2007 <3
    Samuel (5 years), Elliott (3 years), and Evelyn (1 year).

I never take their temp. I go by, 1) if they feel warm or hot and 2) how they are feeling. If they act miserable then I will make them more comfortable and after that then maybe medicate. However, my MIL babysits for me and if its a day I really need to go to work, then I will medicate (because I know my mil will give them meds because she won't want to deal with miserable kids). However, both my kids also know that if they are feeling sick (or have a fever) they both willingly give up sugar with no problem. one time my daughter had a fever and my MIL offered her juice and she said "no thank you, it has sugar and it will only make me sicker". LOL. smart kid.

It is scary and miserable when any child has a fever. And we really do go by how the child is acting. Both my kids will throw up at least 1 time with any fever that they have (no matter how high or what virus they have). But after that they always feel better.

I always debate myself too but never end up medicating. I am also one who does not take temps and just go by how warm they feel and how miserable they seem. If it is making them cry and complain of any pain then I will give meds. Otherwise I feel I do a good job of making them and comfy as can be through the illness with tea, cool cloths on the head, comfy spots and lots of babying.

I only medicate if they act like they're miserable. Otherwise, I don't. I don't take temps either unless they feel really hot, and after giving them medicine it doesn't seem to be improving, but that rarely happens. The most my kids ever get is a stomach virus or a mild cold. I think Brynna and Vada had strep over the last 2 weeks because I got it myself Thursday. They were both over it in 2 days with no meds.
    Mary Jane, doula and mom of Vada, Brynna, Tea, Moira, Kyan, Ambria, Aslan, and Anakin.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~ Dr. Seuss

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anonsouthernbell View Post
    Good to know I'm not alone!
    I have to look it up all the time, too! I guess that's a good sign, right? That our kids don't get sick that often?

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)