Thread: ovarian cyst and uterine polyp

Default ovarian cyst and uterine polyp

So, I had a ruptured ovarian cyst during my last period on 11/17. This is my second one in a little over two years - ouch. This Monday I had an ultrasound performed to confirm the ruptured cyst, and the tech now thinks I also have a uterine polyp, but I'll have to have another ultrasound to semi-confirm. I guess it's not truly confirmed until they insert a scope in my uterus. My obgyn wants to schedule a hystoscopy to remove the suspected polyp and I have to be put under general for the procedure, which will be awful for me. I am extremely sensitive to these meds and will be sick for at least a week and will probably lose about 10 pounds in the first few days. Anyways, has anyone had this procedure? I really don't think I want to go through with it, but this could cause fertility issues. Thoughts?

Mel (39) DH (37) Finally, a baby boy after 12 months of TTC!
    April 2013 http://www.saferpills.org/

I also want to add that I had 4 ultrasounds in September and October when I was doing fertility testing and was told my uterus and ovaries "looked great". I know a cyst can grow and rupture very quickly, but I'm not sure how quick a polyp grows. Apparently my reproductive organs like to grow things other than a developing fetus.

I had ovarian cysts removed and a polyp removed from my uterus all at one time. There was nothing to it. I was put to sleep, woke up, stayed in recovery about an hour and went home. I had some slight cramping but that was all. Good luck to you.

Personally, I would do everything I could to avoid surgery, no matter how "routine" the procedure. If I was you I would start by getting another u/s and seeing what they say.

I had the procedure done and got pregnant a couple months after. In my case, they removed a polyp, endometriosis, and did a dye test in the fallopian tubes all at the same time. I was under general. The recovery was painful and took about a week. But it was necessary in order for us to get pregnant, so very worth it. Good luck.

I've had a hysteroscopy (recently actually) done and they removed a tiny polyp at the opening of my fallopian tube and I was awake for the whole thing. There was not a lot to it, just like a pap, only this time they stuck a long metal tweezer type thing to pull the polyp off. But it was really tiny...hardly anything, which is probably why they didn't put me down. I've also had ovarian cysts that come and go on their own. Sometimes I've felt them (slight pain in the ovaries), sometimes I don't. It's all just a big pain in my patootie, if you ask me. I would just like to have a normal uterus...ya know?
    Oh well....

Good luck to you! I'm sure you'll be just fine and be able to conceive perfectly well after the procedure!
    ~Jenn~ Mom to Ethan - my heart surgery survivor - born 6/29/09

I forgot to add, I conceived my precious dd a month later.

Thank you for the responses ladies!

I know I should go ahead with the procedure because I don't want a polyp to keep me from conceiving. I'm not worried about the procedure; I'm worried about the anesthesia used to put me under. When I had my wisdom teeth out they used the twilight anesthesia and I couldn't work for 3 weeks and it took me about 2 months to recover. It was even worse when I was put under for my back surgery, they wouldn't release me from the hospital because I was so sick. These meds are like poison to my body and it's going to be long crazy recovery for a simple non-invasive procedure, unfortunately. Just waiting for a call from the doctor's office to schedule the surgery.

I'm with you Jenn, why can't we have a normal uterus?!

Saw this in the new threads and just wanted to pop in. After I lost my first pregnancy I had an HSG done to check my tubes and she found some polyps. So I had the hysteroscopy done and she removed two polyps and another mass that ended up being benign. I also do not respond well to anesthesia and when I go in I tell them that and they can usually add another medication in the OR so that I have less of a reaction. The one time I was pg and they wanted to "wait and see" I passed out and was vomiting and that sealed it for me. No more surgeries without letting them know I get extremely sick and to put whatever they can in the iv to prevent it. I went on to have two successful pregnancies after my hysteroscopy. HUGS!
    Growing fast... DD1 (6) & DD2 (4)
    Forever loved, forever missed... Twin Girls with us for 19w3d 6/12/06

Blog Entries

I'm sorry that you have to go through this! I also react poorly to anesthesia - mostly vomiting and severe fatigue for about three weeks and often several months before I feel well again. I have a friend who gets seizures from anesthesia. Can you really push for them to do this without anesthesia? Maybe just some over the counter or prescription pain killers, etc could get you through the procedure without being out.
    Last edited by JJorn; 11-29-2012 at 12:56 PM.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

My surgery is scheduled for December 31st, so I guess I won't be going to any NY's Eve parties this year! I did find out the polyp is 11mm and my obgyn is really encouraging me to have the surgery so that it will increase my chances of getting pregnant. I'm pretty bummed that it's scheduled during the holidays, but my insurance changes on the 1st, and I'll have to look for a new doctor at that point. I decided it's better that I get it done now so that I don't have to start over with someone new. But, I am still hoping and wishing that I get my BFP next week so that I have a great reason to cancel the surgery!