Thread: Thought we'd be weaning around this time

Default Thought we'd be weaning around this time

Sawyer will be 2 at the end of january. I pictured us weaning around this time but honestly, comfort wise, it seems like he needs it more than ever. You know how at this age, life is so hard. lol. Really though, he's getting to the age where he wants to do everything Savana and Kai are doing and he wants to use their stuff, they don't always let him. He's doesn't have many words even though he understands everything so when he can't tell us what he wants he gets so oh so angry and sad. He's a sweet, happy child but that doesn't mean our day isn't filled with dozens of fall out tantrums. If I nurse him for a few minutes he calms down right away and sometimes it's the only thing that works.

Did any of you feel like your toddler really needed to keep going at this age? More for comfort than anything else. Like, I don't feel like I can even consider weaning right now. He'd be a mess.

You and me both lol!!! I really think dd will be nursing in college.

I have no advice....just keep going

As long as its still a mutual relationship I say keep going. My baby let me know when she was done. Personally, I'm not sure I could go past 3 but I know other moms who do and I'm a firm believer in doing what works as long as both parties are still interested.

Mommy to Piper 6/5/09 and an 11/2011
    Make a pregnancy ticker

Emme was definitely that way, until well after she turned 3. She slowly stopped asking to nurse as much when she was upset, and was content to have me comfort her in other ways some of the time. Those times became more frequent until she got to where she rarely asked to nurse except for bedtime and first thing in the morning.
    Then over the summer when I started watching my friend's boys, Emme often didn't wake up until after the boys were here so she wouldn't nurse in the morning, and after a full day of playing she would crash out at bedtime before she got to nurse.... I took advantage of that (because honestly after 3 years and 7+ months I was so ready to be done!), and I weaned her. She's been totally fine! There were no tears about it... a few complaints but nothing that made me question if she was ready.

Ds was this way too. He actually still is nursing. We went through a long phase where he would say, "I (gasp) need nurses/numnum to help me calm down!!!" I slowly weaned him from that while I was pregnant, but he def still needs his comfort nursing. I do want to potentially wean him soon but with us moving in a few months I don't think it is a good time as he is a slow to adapt child and it will be a major transition.

Seriously I could have written your post.... Jude is the same way. It's kinda of uncharted territory for me since Paige weaned herself at 26 months due to me running out of milk during my pregnancy. So I have never actually had to wean. I too thought we'd be at least getting on our way to weaning by now, but really I just feel there is no way I could take it away from him at this point. I am thinking about trying out some gentle night weaning to see how goes since he'd like me to pretty much keep my boob in his mouth the entire night. But really there is just no way it would be good for him to day wean right now (as much as I might want him to sometimes). I am thinking once he is more verbal I'll start talking with him about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashleen View Post
    Seriously I could have written your post.... Jude is the same way. It's kinda of uncharted territory for me since Paige weaned herself at 26 months due to me running out of milk during my pregnancy. So I have never actually had to wean. I too thought we'd be at least getting on our way to weaning by now, but really I just feel there is no way I could take it away from him at this point. I am thinking about trying out some gentle night weaning to see how goes since he'd like me to pretty much keep my boob in his mouth the entire night. But really there is just no way it would be good for him to day wean right now (as much as I might want him to sometimes). I am thinking once he is more verbal I'll start talking with him about it.
    I was able to very successfully night wean after two. GL!

We successfully night weaned at 15 months with Dr Jay.

Mommy to Piper 6/5/09 and an 11/2011
    Make a pregnancy ticker

Glad to hear night weaning success stories! One of these nights I'll get brave enough to start trying!

We are kinda in the same boat. I also have never succersfully weaned a child as DS1 weaned when I was pg. DS2 nurses all the time. More than DS1 ever did. I have been successful at times just holding him. He is very affectionate so sometimes huggies and kissies work. TBH, there are times where I don't feel like sitting and nursing him, but then when I think about it (like now) I realize he is only so little for so short.