Thread: How often?

Question How often?

My DD 18mo used to have 2-3 BMs a day. In the last month, she is 1x a day, usually. And they are giant, and soft. I'm happy she doesn't strain, but would this be considered normal? DH is concerned with how soft they are, I'm not so much. I'm more concerned that there are days she skips and then the next day is a huge explosion with usually a mess. Those are almost always at daycare, too, and that means a change of clothes there, too. And Ms. Daycare insists it is the fruit (which DD has successfully eaten since the beginning), or the organics we feed her. Could it be possibly some of the JUNK you feed her? At home, we strive for a much more well rounded meal, and at daycare I know it is more for the masses. Daycare is an in-home one, licensed by the state, but still...

And clearly if you all haven't noticed, we are 1st time parents of an only. And all our friends have been done w/ this stage for eons. Thanks in advance.

Frankie
    Phoebe Grace 6-22-11; 37.5" and 26.2# at 2 years old! She is my wild child!
    Me & Geoff, 40; DD Phoebe, our June Bug

My 21-month old has been going 1/day for several months now. Every now and then she'll miss one day and then have an especially big one (or two) the next day. And soft poops are preferable, so you should be happy about that. As long as they aren't liquidy or runny (peanut buttery is fine), I think it sounds like she has healthy bowel activity.
    Mom to two little girls (born 6/08 and 2/11) and another on the way.

22 month old here, she goes once a day, once every two days. Then some days it's twice or three times. No telling around here!
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

Around 2 Kyle went down to 1 BM a day but now at 2.8 he is at 1 every day and sometimes even skips a day depending on how much he ate the day before. Kyle went through what she is doing a few times and usually during growth spurts. It may even out if not try to be sure she is getting enough dietary fiber to ensure that she is getting the filler for her bowel movements and then they should become more consistent but still soft but less explosions.

Sammi(me)~DH(Troy)~DS(Kyle)~DD(Rebecca)

Quote Originally Posted by mohop View Post
    My 21-month old has been going 1/day for several months now. Every now and then she'll miss one day and then have an especially big one (or two) the next day. And soft poops are preferable, so you should be happy about that. As long as they aren't liquidy or runny (peanut buttery is fine), I think it sounds like she has healthy bowel activity.
    This is how Mira has been for the longest time. Soft poops are just fine, it's not fruit or organic food (WTF?) that's causing it.

Sounds normal to me!

Once a day sounds fine to me. Fruit has a huge impact on my guys. I don't see it as a problem so they eat tons of fruit.
    My 3 yo cuties!

Sounds normal and healthy. I would not worry about it, sometimes dd has 1-2 a day, sometimes 4 or so a day, no biggy.

Todays avatar was brought to you by shirtwoot!

i wouldnt worry. My boys actually poop a lot more than that, and for us, I definitely notice a link between that and fruit. Fruit has fiber so it makes sense. I do limit the amount of citrus fruits, but that's it.

My DD has been going once a day since I don't remember when. Every now and then if she is stopped up for a day she will have a 2 or 3 poop day the next day, then skip again, then regulate the following day. The pedi has never said boo about once a day. Sounds normal to me.

Thanks everyone! We had her 18 month well-visit last night and pedi says she is doing GREAT! So, on we go! I like the reassurance from others, though. Makes me feel 'normal'. Whatever that is.
    Phoebe Grace 6-22-11; 37.5" and 26.2# at 2 years old! She is my wild child!
    Me & Geoff, 40; DD Phoebe, our June Bug