Thread: Constipation Help

Blog Entries

Default Constipation Help

I've never dealt with constipation during pregnancy before or really ever (except after morphine). This might be from the Zofran I started a few days ago but I can't stop taking that. What have you all done? What can I take before things get really bad? I do plan on upping my fiber but that could take a week before impacting anything.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

I drink kefir to help get things moving. I haven't taken any meds for it. I feel your pain though.

I've read laying on your right side will get your bowels moving. I also drink a caffeinated beverage in the morning. My other suggestion is to try pear juice. It's has always worked for me and DD. Prune juice does nothing. You could also try V8. Good luck, it's miserable

Mommy to Piper 6/5/09 and an 11/2011
    Make a pregnancy ticker

Eat oatmeal!!

Blog Entries

I think that I actually have a pear in the fridge so I will do my best to get that down today (my stomach is still bad on the Zofran). I'm having intestinal cramps on top of the nausea and just want to go to bed and sleep it all away. Things were slowing down (in a normal pregnancy fasion) before I started the Zofran and that seems to have just tipped me from the normal slow down to no movement.

Will fiber even help with medicine induced constipation? Pears have natural bowel irritants so that might work when fiber won't.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.

So i asked my midwife this exact thing the other day and she gave me a bottle of Liquid Calcium Magnesium, its from integrative therapeutics inc. and she said take 2 TBS everynight until you fell regular then go down to 1 TBS a night if that seems like too much do 1 TBS every other night. I also has VIT D in it. Its has a 1:1 ratio of calcium to magnesium in it. Hope your feeling better

I took a stool softener with my Zofran.. if I took a Zofran I just added the tiny pink pill along with it. I'm vegetarian so I have adequate fiber but it got uncomfortable fast with Zofran.

I also have a low thyroid this pregnancy.. which is impacting (lol literally) constipation as well. Even though I'm not taking Zofran anymore I still have to take a stool softener every other day to stay regular. All in all this pregnancy has been miserable. During this time with my other 2 I had tons of energy and felt like i could do anything, I felt even better than I did when I wasn't pregnant. But all I want to do is sleep and I still feel nauseous though it's no where near early morning sickness it's more like lack of appetite.

I would think more water and a stool softener might work better with the zofran. Sorry momma!

Make a pregnancy ticker

Blog Entries

The pear didn't help. My DH went out and got me Colace. I'm low on water right now because of the nausea but will work on getting more fiber and more water down, too. I hope that the stool softener will just get things moving while the more natural things get a chance to keep things moving.

writerlilly Guest

Definitely drink plenty of water. You'll want to rehydrate your body.

I would try the pear juice too. Sometimes it works better in a more concentrated form.

Make a pregnancy ticker

Blog Entries

I'm going to have to get pear juice or something as even after taking a bunch of Colace things still really aren't moving. I've gained something like three pounds, too, but have been eating only about 1/3 of what I normally eat. I've started fiber supplementation today and will be calling the doctor tomorrow. I guess I'll need to find out what type of stimulant I can take at this point even though I really wanted to avoid that. My DH is out of town and I have two small kids to take care of so spending the day in and out of the bathroom isn't the best option.

Try PeriColace. It's a stool softener plus a laxative. Colace is just a stool softener alone. I had to use it once I started iron supplements. Probiotics will help as well. I take Nature's Made Acidophilus. Works wonders!
    Me (31), DH (31) , and DD (2) 9/08

Blog Entries

I think that the fiber is helping. I'm having some movement now so I didn't call. I see my OB on Thursday and will mention this all to her. I can't believe how miserable I am this time around.

I've been taking zofran since Friday night and the effects were immediate. I hate being stopped up hope things start moving for you again.

Make a pregnancy ticker

Blog Entries

Isn't it how crazy that Zofran can do that so fast? I was on it for a little while with my second but didn't need it every day or every eight hours like now so had no problems. I hope that you can get off the Zofran soon and be back to normal very soon. So close to the end has enough discomforts that you don't need this on top of all that.