Thread: Menopause question for MIL

Exclamation Menopause question for MIL

My MIL just turned 51 in October I know there are older moms and grandmothers on here. She has been having 3 periods in one month. I think its been going on for a while but, she keeps to herself a lot and I never know 100% for sure all of her symptoms. I can't help but, worry about MIL. She also gets dizzy and very tired from the heavy menstrual cycle- 1 Super plus tampon every hour. She does not have health insurance a doctor at a local clinic said its normal and it can be getting closer to menopause. This doesn't sound normal but, I wanted input please!

Doesn't sound good to me. I hope she is at least taking an iron supplement.

She really does need to see a doctor. That sounds like something else is going on, and there is potential for this to be something serious.

I know! She does totally need to see a doctor. I wish her stubborn butt would. She does quailfy for the H.I.P. - Healthy Indiana Plan which would cover a doctor's visit but, she refuses to sign up! Its only $19/ month for her income. I don't understand her stubbornness.

Definitely time to see a dr. That is not normal

Quote Originally Posted by runningmomofmany View Post
    Doesn't sound good to me. I hope she is at least taking an iron supplement.
    Yes she does take iron pills.

Quote Originally Posted by hotpinkmomma0811 View Post
    I know! She does totally need to see a doctor. I wish her stubborn butt would. She does quailfy for the H.I.P. - Healthy Indiana Plan which would cover a doctor's visit but, she refuses to sign up! Its only $19/ month for her income. I don't understand her stubbornness.
    She's honestly probably scared because she knows something is wrong and doesn't want to deal with it:/

My mom was having this issue too. They tried a uterine ablation first and then a full hysterectomy. I do have a friend having multiple periods a month and her doc suggested trying the menopause vitamin packs from GNC to help with the excessive bleeding, hot flashes, and othe symptoms. My mom swears by just the black cohash pills though.

Mommy to Piper 6/5/09 and an 11/2011
    Make a pregnancy ticker

I actually had the opposite issue -- my periods became less and less frequent until they stopped altogether. I think I went through menopause a little early as I haven't had a period in 10 years and I'll be 55 next month.
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!

Another vote for the doctor. 3 periods in a month is too much. I have heard that one of the precursors for menopause is frequent periods but as frequent as your MIL's.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBabe View Post
    I actually had the opposite issue -- my periods became less and less frequent until they stopped altogether. I think I went through menopause a little early as I haven't had a period in 10 years and I'll be 55 next month.
    Please, please let this be me too!

Mine used to be every 28 days. Last year every 25 days, now 22 days. Heaviness has not changed. I'm 44 years old.
    I agree with the others, 3 periods in a month is too many and needs a doctor evaluation pronto.

I think anyone who experiences such significant changes in their menstrual cycles should go to the doctor, regardless of age.

my mom has had problems on and off like this and has had several d and c's to make sure nothing else was going on, but hers has been related to uterine fibroids.

Thanks for the opinions maybe DH can convince her to seek further advice from another doctor. The clinic doctor said it was normal but, I hope she gets a 2ND opinion