Thread: Elf on a Shelf

Default Elf on a Shelf

My mom showed up at my house today with Elf on a Shelf for Cameron.Very cute, very fun, very adorable.

I am recruiting you fabulous mothers to give me ideas. Keep in mind, I'm lazy and at the end of the day my pregnant butt doesn't want to be doing things that will need to be cleaned up the next day. And I'm not a super creative, amazing, able to recreate adorable DIY things from pinterest kind of person. I need simple, quick ideas.

Today I found a new Christmas book that plays carols and our elf, who has been named Alphie, is reading the words to jingle bells.

DD is a little too young for the elf here, but I did enjoy reading this blog on it http://www.peopleiwanttopunchintheth...f-mommies.html

Todays avatar was brought to you by shirtwoot!

I don't get this Elf on a shelf thing, can somebody explain it?
    Megan (29) and Jayson (31) Happily married 9 years

Quote Originally Posted by Dreya View Post
    I don't get this Elf on a shelf thing, can somebody explain it?
    You hide the elf every night and the kids find it in the morning. They aren't allowed to touch it and the elf is supposed to report back to Santa on kids behavior. We don't do it but it seems to be very popular.

Odd...
    Megan (29) and Jayson (31) Happily married 9 years

Quote Originally Posted by Dreya View Post
    Odd...
    I'm not into it, but my mom already explained it to her and she is excited.

We got sucked into it this year too. I wasn't into it at all, but we saw my family over Thanksgiving and both of my brothers' kids have it and explained it to my DD so we just HAD to get it. Ours has only been here 3 days, so I've kept it simple and just mover it around. Maybe I'll get more adventurous as we get closer to Christmas.
    Growing fast... DD1 (6) & DD2 (4)
    Forever loved, forever missed... Twin Girls with us for 19w3d 6/12/06

pintrest has lots of really cute ideas. I started ours this year, and have been kind of bad about keeping up with it, he's been hanging from the chandiller for several days now..oops!

When do you guys start? I figured dec 1st, but idk

I never really understood the purpose of it lol. I have a few friends who do it with their kids, but it just seems kind of weird. Maybe it's because I don't fully understand it-are you supposed to do some kind of craft or gift each time you move it? I've only heard bits and pieces of what it should be so maybe I'm missing the concept.
    Autumn (me) Darren () Naheana () Mahikoa () La'i () & Mana'o ()

A book comes with it, you are supposed to name the elf and he "goes back to Santa" every night to report on the kid's behavior, like hes there for Santa watching. Each morning he comes back and hides in a different place, etc. Some people get pretty fancy with what elf is doing the next day, but it's not a gift or craft thing. Currently my oldest is 11 and doesn't believe and my little one isn't quite 3 so he doesn't really get it but I thought it would be a fun tradition to start and they do like to see where the elf is every morning

Our's is named Elfie, very close to yours!

We don't do messy things, we just put him in odd places every day. Once or twice he's shown up in the pantry with his hand in a bag of marshmallows or something. One time he was in the bathroom...that was awkward with that creepy little stare he has LOL

I've heard they usually come back the day after Thanksgiving (that's the day we do ours) but Dec. 1 makes sense to me too. I prefer to wait until December to do Christmas stuff!

Tonight was our very first intro to the Elf on the Shelf. The trio are really excited about him, it took us FOREVER to name him....but Percy will be a much loved friend around here

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (6) and Jericho (3 1/2)
    Trying to complete our family...My Ovulation Chart for my LAST try !