Thread: Domperidone

Default Domperidone

My supply has gone down and nothing is really working. I am considering trying Domperidone. Has anyone tried it? How much did it help? Where did you get it?

thanks in advance

I'm in the same situation and just ordered some earlier this week. I ordered from inhousepharmacy.biz because they were highly recommended on another forum I frequent. I'm hopeful, but can't provide feedback on my experience yet, since it hasn't arrived.
    D-Mama (37) D-Dada (43) and D-Baby (11/02/2011)

I am using it currently and it helps me get a few extra ounces a day, I think. I got it from the same place as the PP. I used it last time for about a month after I'd been nursing about 5 months and had to start supplementing with formula. We were able to make it to just over 8 months. I started it earlier this time and ordered a little over 2 months' supply. DS is 4 months today but he is eating even more than DS#1 did, so I think we're going to run out of milk/nursing faster this time around.
    Vicki 39 DH45 SD12 SS9
    DS Hudson Sept 23, 2009!
    DS Trevor July 29, 2012!
    "Fat babies have no pride" - Lyle Lovett

I used it for about a year. I didn't think it was helping at all, because I had so much trouble producing enough milk, but realized later that what I was making, was because of it. I dried up almost overnight, once I stopped.

I used it for MONTHS. I got it online from the site mentioned above. I don't know how much it worked but it did work. I say go for it!!

Hey, OP, I just wanted to let you know that I got some dom from a local mom here, took two doses and have already seen a substantial increase in my pump output. If you have been delaying ordering, I would encourage you to go ahead. It really does work.

I took it when my supply tanked with my ds, I took it for months, it did help for me. I also ordered from inhousepharmacy. Good luck.

Co-sleeping, baby-wearing, bfing, pumping, working ft mama.

Blog Entries

You ladies all scare me! Since I come from the pharmaceutical world I really do know what dangers that come from taking unregulated drugs (ie: death, permanent disability, etc). Please be careful! Where does this company that you all are ordering from get their drugs? I really hope that nothing is from India.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

It is made by Janssen Pharmaceuticals, a very reputable and well-known company, and is sold basically everywhere in the world (including Canada). Just not the US.

Blog Entries

Janssen Pharmaceuticals does have products in the US so it has received some approval from the FDA. They are owned by Johnson & Johnson. In any case, I find it quite alarming that they do not have permission to sell Domperidone in the US (I could not find this drug listed on their website). They also recently settled with 36 attorney generals over illegal marketing of another drug in the US and got in trouble with the FDA. In reality, though, are you sure that this drug is actually made by Janseen? There are a lot of knock off drugs made by all sorts of different people and companies. It is also very easy to copy labels and packaging.

In short, when you buy prescription drugs off the internet from who knows where you choose to buy outside of the umbrella of protection of the FDA and the US government. You truly have no idea what is in that medication or who made it. Sure, the active ingredient might be in it but what is the concentration? Is the pill uniform? Does each pill have the same amount? What else is in the pill? Is another drug also in it from improper manufacturing processes? Etc.

I guess this is just food for thought. I spent 4 years in Quality Control and then 2 years in Quality Assurance. Now I'm a SAHM...
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.

i know...i can't believe i am going to do this. in fact, i can prescribe the medication for myself (myself!), lol. honestly, i never thought i would be in this position but my daughter is refusing bottle all of a sudden and will only breastfeed which is very difficult with my ever decreasing supply which i think is contributing to her sleeping poorly at night.

Blog Entries

I would really encourage you to talk to a doctor about this or if they won't help talk to a lactation consultant and have them talk to your doctor. There are significant restrictions as to who can take this drug, too. Only a side effect of the drug increases the milk supply so it will primarily work in your body in a different way. And it is for sure excreted into breast milk so for sure your baby will get some of the drug, too.

I say this with all due respect, but unless you've done the research on this drug, you don't know what you're talking about. There are a number of solid studies out there (mostly out of Canada) about the use of this drug in nursing mothers. The drug is primarily used in children and adults to treat gastrointestinal problems and has a long history of safe usage in otherwise healthy patients. The drug does not cross the blood-brain barrier (like the US approved alternative, Reglan, which has been shown to sometimes cause life-threatening depression), and it has been demonstrated that about .012% -.009% of the maternal dose passes into the milk. There is a potential risk of cardiac problems for patients with certain heart defects when administered domperidone by IV at very high dosages.

The brand name of this drug is Motilium and is listed on the international Janssen site http://www.janssen-emea.com/health/productoverview. It is not listed on the US site because it is not approved for use in the US.

Here is an excellent primer on the use of domperidone and other galactagogues in breastfeeding: http://www.ibreastfeeding.com/conten...eding-patients

Fearmongering isn't helpful to anyone.

Blog Entries

I got all of my information directly from the pharmacuetical web site. Fearmongering? Since when is presenting facts or a differing view point wrong? Not only is buying a prescription drug without a prescription illegal (and the drug box even says the drug is for prescription only) it is dangerous, especially when you skirt the correct course and buy from some website. Who knows how they were able to get the drugs and how in the world they are allowed to dispense them to whoever they want.

Blog Entries

Here is what the FDA has to say about this drug:

FDA warned healthcare professionals and breastfeeding women not to use an unapproved drug, domperidone, to increase milk production (lactation). The agency is concerned with the potential public health risks associated with domperidone. FDA took these actions because it has become aware that some women are purchasing this drug from compounding pharmacies and from foreign sources. Although domperidone is approved in several countries outside the U.S. to treat certain gastric disorders, it is not approved in any country, including the U.S., for enhancing breast milk production in lactating women and is also not approved in the U.S. for any indication.
    And they have temporarily allowed investigative use of this drug under the monitoring of a doctor for severe gastrointestinal disorders in patients where the benefit out rules the risks.

I got all of this just by searching the FDA website for domperidone.

Feel free to disagree with me but don't say that I can't present a different and at the moment the only legal view. None of you disclosed either that buying and then taking this drug without a prescription is illegal in this country.
    Last edited by JJorn; 12-05-2012 at 12:04 PM.

Blog Entries

And check out this quote from the FDA here from October 4, 2012:

Domperidone: This medicine was removed from the United States market in 1998 because it may cause serious adverse effects, including irregular heartbeat, stopping of the heart, or sudden death. These dangers could convey to the nursing baby of breastfeeding women, who may be using domperidone to try increase milk production (which is not an approved use).
    The site that you listed also stated that the majority of women who perceive that their milk supply is low are actually incorrect and that sufficient evidence should be gathered to demonstrate that the milk supply is low before taking any medication to increase milk supply (growing child? Weight before and after feeding?). The studies noted to prove the safety of domperidone were of 16 women and then 6 women. That is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay below the threshold for any respectable study. The FDA and any actual peer reviewed publication would never publish those results or even look at them. They would be out of business in a hurry. Statistically those studies mean absolutely nothing.
    Last edited by JJorn; 12-05-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Completely agree with jjorn on this. Aside from the obvious issues related to your own cardiac health, that of your infant, dangerous interactions with other drugs (esp if you're not revealing to your dotcors that you're using this), she is exactly correct about the counterfeiting of popular drugs. That's not just viagara and oxy. It's cancer drugs, sleeping pills, acne meds, depression meds, cholesterol meds, anything. Counterfeit medicines are a multi-billion dollar illicit industry worldwide. You won't know if you're getting the real thing, something that's partially real, or something that's completely fake. Whether you're getting household chemicals and carcinogens that have been mixed in unregulated labs, shipped from unregulated "pharmacies," stamped with fake branding (no different than an el-cheapo rip-off Louis Vuitton handbag), you won't know either.

Unfortunately, even getting prescribed drugs in the US can be sketchy; getting them from overseas where you have no visibility into the supply chain from which your order has come is downright scary. (You ordered to a website that says it's in canada? ORLY? And where did it get the drugs that are on its shelves... wherever those shelves really are. As for inhousepharmacy.biz, I just looked at the website: it's domiciled in vanuatu? seriously? that the only home available to this company is on a remote, volcanic pacific island nation doesn't scream something that says "danger!"?)

Further, in placing these orders, you may be directly supporting the criminal operations of transnational organized crime groups like the mexican drug cartels. Really. In fact, terror groups are getting into the lucrative biz.