Thread: Trying to coceive in a safe, healthy, and patient way.

Default Trying to coceive in a safe, healthy, and patient way.

Any advice. I am in my mid-twenties and trying to get pregnant with our first child. I work night shifts and do have irregular menstural cycles(four to six weeks), so that doesn't help I am sure. I have had my annual check up with my OBGYN recently, so he knows I have stopped the pill and did start pre-natals a month before I stopped the pill. My thyroid is normal and my weight is steady, have been advised to not gain more so I can later obiviously.

Just wanting to be sure I am doing what I can to increase our chances of conceiving and wanting to not miss anything important that I should be doing. Want my baby to be safe and healthy

It's easier for some women than it is for others to conceive. Some can do it without even thinking, others have to chart temps for a while to learn their body's rhythm and the right time to try and others have to use varying fertility aids. As this is your first time TTC, you likely don't know where on the line you fall. If you want to start charting your temps I'd say go for it, but a word to the wise: It made me crazy. I temp charted with our first DS and it stressed me out so much that we failed to conceive. So I stopped and that month we conceived. Didn't chart or anything with #2.

Right now we're TTC #3 and I'm keeping track of my menstrual cycle on a calender like this but I'm not charting.

Other tips to have a safe, healthy pregnancy are: Don't stop working out but don't push it. If you're doing something like HIIT stop and do more gentle but still consistent exercise. Don't drink alcohol, smoke or do any sort of drugs. If you have a cold try to tough it out, but if you don't feel like you can ask your doctor what cold and pain meds are safe during pregnancy. Keep a healthy diet and try to avoid foods like undercooked meat and fish, undercooked eggs (soft yolks), coffee (excessive caffeine) and lunch meat. Stick with whole grain starches and lots of fruit and veg. Also make sure to visit the dentist and take care of your teeth!
    Last edited by Dreya; 11-25-2012 at 06:07 AM.
    Megan (29) and Jayson (31) Happily married 9 years

Dreya gave you some great advice! Just make sure to take extra good care of your body right now. My husband works nights do I know how hard that can be. Make sure you're getting as much sleep as possible.
    For me, I loved charting and I was able to get pregnant my second month trying by doing that. I also used OPKs which would probably be better for you if you don't follow a consistent sleep pattern. I ordered my OPKs off of amazon.
    Good luck and hope to see you in a DD room soon!

Thanks, kmrk336.

Working nights is hard. This is my second time doing so. I've worked three years with the company I'm with. First year and a half I was on nights, then did day shifts for a year when I got married and now am back to night shifts due to certain circumstances. My body has had a harder time getting back into the groove of working nights this second time around after being on days for a year. I tend to be lucky if I can stay down past two in the afternoon. I usually go down around 7:30-8am when I get home and showered from work. I do stay up on my nights off to keep my schedule.

Anyway, I appreciate your thoughts and do hope I'll get to be annoucing we're pregnant with our first son or daughter real soon!

Thanks, Dreya!

You've given me some good advice and definitely some other steps I can do to get ready and be ready.

Yeah, I have been leary about doing the ovulation tests and such as I think I would be made even crazier! I am crazy enough as it is! My poor husband is being so patient and understanding as this is my first time and his second.(He has a 19 year old from first marriage and she's the best step-daughter ever by the way!)

Anyway, my doctor has told me he wants to give it two years before we panic as that typically can be at the most time it'll take for us t conceive. Obivously, for some, the road isn't as smooth. I am just trying to relax, be patient, and be resigned to the fact that it might take a little time. I am only 27 and we just started trying in June. Still, it's so hard when you've dreamt since you were ten about being a wife and mommy. AND this whole process is hard at times. You try and aim for the best opportune fertile time. You then have to wait another couple weeks to see if anything happens. You are trying to not get your hopes up and are then crushed when you get your period versus finding out you're pregnant and have to go another month of trying/waiting. Anyway, thanks for listening and the helpful tips. I do appreciate your time.

Welcome!

I was doing opks but they were driving me crazy, so me and DH just switched to BD every other night or more starting a few days after AF stops.

I think you migh be able to hart your bbt as well, when you wake up in the afternoon.

I would also recommend talking to your dr if you don't conceive after 1 yr-- that is the traditional time. But hopefully ou will be pg before that!

GL!!

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3e10a4

Thank you for your adivce. I do appreciate. My doctor has said that he wants to give me two years before we hit the worried button I guess if you will. He says I am strong, healthy, and shouldn't have any problems I hope.

I do hope that I will get pregnant before a year!