Thread: Late ovulation, late period, negative pregnancy tests

Default Late ovulation, late period, negative pregnancy tests

Hello to whoever is out there reading this. I hope that I have posted it in the proper category. Here is my question/issue/concern:

I am TTC. I have been very regular since I began menstruating again after having my son. I am typically 26-28 days apart. We have been trying for a short time, so I have not been tracking ovulation. The date of my last menstrual cycle was October 21, 2012. We had intercourse when a normal person would ovulate, several times around November 3rd and 5th. But then, I did not have cervical mucous until the 11th and I swear I feel like this is when I actually ovulated, so again we had intercourse. Now I am 9 days late for my period. But I am not passing pregnancy tests. I called the doctor and they are having me come in for blood tests on Monday to see if I am pregnant but not producing the proper hormones to have a successful pregnancy. However, after reading and searching on the internet I have ran into several threads and websites of people asking this same question and many have responded that late ovulation can cause you to not pass a pregnancy test until 14-16 days after implantation. If I got pregnant on November 11th, then 14 days would be today, the 24th. Can this be true? Has anyone ever had this happen or heard of this happening? My worry is that I will go in on Monday and have this test and because I still won't have a huge amount of hCG in my blood they will think it isn't a viable pregnancy.

A little back story from my first pregnancy. I had a 42 day menstrual cycle, tried for two years and gave up. While we were on a vacation to the U.K. I found out I was pregnant. Thinking back, I got my pregnancy symptoms about 5 and 1/2 to 6 weeks after my missed period. Perhaps I ovulated late then too? Perhaps if I were testing this same thing would have happened? I don't know. But now I wonder.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Blog Entries

Generally women ovulate about 14 days before they have a period, not 14 days after a period. So, with your son you may have been 5 to 6 weeks pregnant (that is 5 to 6 weeks after your last period) but not in reality that far along. Does that make sense?

It is possible that you did in fact ovulate around the 11th so your period would then be due around now. So, your period might not even be late yet.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

This may seem like a silly question, but I really do not know the answer. And I can't seem to find the answer when I do a search. How does your body know NOT to have a period when there is a fertilized egg? I have read many posts on this forum of women who ovulate on like day 20 of their 28 day cycle every month. Since implantation can take up to 12 days...how does the body know not to have a period??

BTW still no period. Still no positive test.

Jordan: here is the answer from Wikipedia. They explain the menstrual cycle pretty thoroughly there. It is basically that the corpu luteum gets a signal from the developing embryo to hang around and keep producing progesterone. But here is a more in-depth answer from them: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menst...ycle#section_2

I would recommend starting to chart your cycles with fertility friend. My chart is here, And as you can see my cycles are irregular. I had the same thing happen to me this summer, and chartig has really helped me figure out when I ovulate so I know when to test.
    http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3e10a4

GL and

Thank you that was helpful. Another quick question. Let's say I am not pregnant and for some reason I just don't have a period this month. Is it still possible to get pregnant without having a period? If so should I start tracking my ovulation now? Or wait until I do have a period.

Just came back from the doctor. Will have blood test results in the morning.

It is- if you ovulate. So if you haven't ovulated yet, you can still get pregnant
    You might as well start practicing now. Even if you read a book or two and do the free fertility friend charting course, everyone is always a little different, so it takes a little bit to learn.

GL!

I started charting yesterday.

Blood test results came in this morning - negative but everything looked normal. AF followed shortly after.

So sorry

I hope the charting helps and you get your soon!