Thread: Question about conception and periods...

jimboa27 Guest

Default Question about conception and periods...

Hi, I wasn't sure where else to post this and I'm trying to find an answer...

My friend and I had unprotected sex twice in a month, and then she had her period, though her period was late. After her period she had sex at a party; now she's missed her period entirely and a home pregnancy test came back positive rather quickly. She's insisting that there's no way it could be mine because she had her period but I've read that it's common for a woman to have her period once or twice after conception before missing it.

So is it possible that the kid could be mine?

It is not common. It's possible she could have had spotting and mistaken that for her period but that is unlikely.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

No, its not very common to have a period after conception. A little spotting possibly, but not a full period. She's right, there's pretty much no way it could be yours. Sorry.
    Jennifer

I have known some people to have periods throughout their pregnancies before. Its uncommon, but can happen.

I would find out dates first. How soon after having sex with the second guy did she get a positive pregnancy test? If it was less than 2 weeks after it is most likely yours.
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

jimboa27 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by beanpop View Post
    I would find out dates first. How soon after having sex with the second guy did she get a positive pregnancy test? If it was less than 2 weeks after it is most likely yours.
    She had sex with the second guy the 2nd week of october, i had sex with her less than 2 weeks before that. She just took a pregnancy test on the 24th of November. She hasn't visted a dr yet, so there's no telling for sure exactly how long she's been pregnant. Her period after having sex with me was actually very brief and it was late.

Quote Originally Posted by jimboa27 View Post
    She had sex with the second guy the 2nd week of october, i had sex with her less than 2 weeks before that. She just took a pregnancy test on the 24th of November. She hasn't visted a dr yet, so there's no telling for sure exactly how long she's been pregnant. Her period after having sex with me was actually very brief and it was late.
    Hmm... Given that it's possible it is yours and she didn't get her period at all but was spotting.

jimboa27 Guest

Ok, here's the exact timeframe. I had sex with her on the 30th of Sept, and she had her period the very next day...she claims it was a full-on period, but I remember it lasted less than 2 days. 8 days later, on the 9th of October, she went to that party.

I'm even more convinced now that it could very well be mine. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by jimboa27 View Post
    Ok, here's the exact timeframe. I had sex with her on the 30th of Sept, and she had her period the very next day...she claims it was a full-on period, but I remember it lasted less than 2 days. 8 days later, on the 9th of October, she went to that party.

I'm even more convinced now that it could very well be mine. Am I wrong?
    No...a woman is generally fertile 14 days before her period is due. An egg can live for 24 hours. After that, it's too late. If that was the only time you had sex, not possible.

Much more likely it was at the party. Sperm can live 3-5 days waiting for an egg to show up, which puts her at 12-14 days into her cycle counting for the day she started her period, which is right around when most women are fertile. It's not yours.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 12-03-2012 at 06:33 PM.

jimboa27 Guest

No, that wasn't the only time we had sex, just the most recent. We had unprotected sex several times in mid to late September.

And I keep getting conflicting answers from fertility doctors I've emailed online about this...kind of frustrating really.

If you had sex around 14 days before her Oct 1st - yes, it's possible. But it certainly seems possible it was the guy at the party and that would be more likely if she did have a period. You may need to do genetic testing to know for sure.

So if I have this straight, you had sex with her in mid-Sept when she was fertile. (We'll ignore the end of Sept sex as she probably wasn't fertile then.) Then she may have had a period, or may have had some weird pregnancy bleeding. Then she had sex with another guy 9th October, when she was fertile (assuming she wasn't already pregnant).

It seems to me like a dating ultrasound might be helpful. If the ultrasound suggests a due date of like the 8th of June, then I'd guess you're the dad. If it suggests a due date like the 2nd of July, the I'd guess the other guy is the dad. Though I think to know for sure you might have to do genetic testing like Gwenn mentioned.

Ali, DH, Søren (4/2011) and a little one due in September.

I agree with Ourou about the dating ultrasound, too, although that isn't foolproof.