Thread: What do you do for thanksgiving?

Default What do you do for thanksgiving?

I need ideas.

Tday is "my" holiday which just means its the only holiday that we don't go to DH's extended families house and eat. I don't celebrate Tday and I don't eat any of the normal food people serve on Tday. I'll be grilling crane asada for dinner

I'd like to do something on Tday and make it a tradition but I don't know what.

I have a very small family, just my mom and my brother and me (at least before marriage and baby). My mom and I used to go hiking in the mountains in West Texas and skip t-giving altogether. It was nice. Now I go to my in-laws' huge family gathering and wait for it to be over for three days. Wish I could go hiking.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Yeah, you guys should go somewhere. Make that your tradition if you aren't into the whole watch football, eat turkey thing. That's what we do and have always done. I could take or leave that actual tradition but love being with my family.

What about volunteering? Do you have any soup kitchens in your area? DH and I plan to try to do this when the kids are older. I love the idea of a holiday that is non-religious and centers around being thankful. It saddens me that it's just a kick off to xmas and has become "black friday eve". No one even cares what the holiday means It's being replaced with the exact opposite of what it's supposed to be

Sorry to rant! We just do the same ol get together with the same ol people but I don't mind it
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Katy, my dh and I used to go for a long hike up a big mountain on Thanksgiving, too, before we had too many family obligations. I think that is a great Thanksgiving tradition. We still usually go for a walk with the kids, but we don't end up totally exhausted and sore. We used to try to check out a new route and new place and get some cool new views.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I just got an email from a happiness newslette, about how to have simpler happier holidays, and there were links to some things. Here is one for volunteer projects that families and kids can do:

http://www.bigheartedfamilies.org/pi...e_frame|61-179

Awesome site, Lydia!

Volunteering is a great idea! I think I would have a hard time with dd though and keeping her entertained. I like the hike idea too.