Thread: At what point in your pregnancy did you start concerning yourself with OFP?

Question At what point in your pregnancy did you start concerning yourself with OFP?

OFP being Optimal fetal positioning... Just curious if any of you actively worked towards helping baby in to a good position for birth & if so, when did you start?

I love spinningbabies but I can never seem to find the WHEN just the HOW to help them get into position. I know he is already head down, but he is still face out and chilling on my right side. I know we still have plenty of time (we are just over 30 weeks at this point), but I am little and he is big (so says my midwife, docs, & family history), so I want to do all I can while he still has room to move in there.

We really want to have a natural birth, so I want to do whatever is in my power now to increase our odds of having one.

2/17/2012

both of my boys didn't spin (they were head down but face out) until I guess birth.. or shortly before. I had U/S at 37W3D and he was born 4 days later totally natural and totally fine. With my last I had an U/S at 38W and he was born 2 days later also totally natural and fine. No problems whatsover unless you consider a very fast delivery an issue, first was 3hrs51mins and second was 46mins.

Are you going to have a later U/S? I like to believe that babies know how to enter the world if you let it happen, and if there are problems surround yourself iwth people that know how to deal with specific situationss. Is your midwife concerned at all? I don't know anything about actual manual spinning, though I watched my SIL go through it with her breech baby.

I never did anything to try to influence my baby's position. He went head down on his own at some point (not exactly sure when, only ever got one u/s at 20w) and stayed that way until he was born. He was turned a little bit towards my right side though I think because I had a knee up in my ribs on that side for the last month or so. Regardless, he was in the correct position for birth and I'm only 5ft tall, and baby was over 7lbs at birth and he came out just fine.
    Jennifer

I have been paying attention to my posture as soon as I learned about it. I was probably 23-24 weeks along at the time. I sit on my exercise ball almost every day, and I hardly ever lean back. When I want to relax, I usually just lay on my side. Every appointment, I am told baby is head down, so I'm either really lucky or the positioning is working.
    Ariel - 32, Nick - 34

Thanks Ladies! My midwife isn't concerned at all, I have just been reading too much for my own good. Well that & we had a birth story in our labor class the other day and the woman was my size (5'1") and tried to deliver a 9.9lb baby naturally, but he didn't want to cooperate and never got in to a good position so that she could have in vaginally. She ended up with a c-section. She and baby were fine, but it has me concerned about getting my guy in position.

2/17/2012

lol ya horror stories have a way of making you become worried about your birth plan..