Thread: When can I introduce a pacifier?

Default When can I introduce a pacifier?

He uses me as a pacifier a lot... Mainly at night. If he unlatches then he starts crying and all he wants is to be nursed again but you can tell he just wants to use me as a paci. Any advice?

Blog Entries

You can try one now. Pacifier use never interfiled with nursing for either of my children. I think that I waited two weeks for my first and probably only 3 days for my second. Some mom's wait a long time, though.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

Just be careful with not letting him pacify. Is he nearly 2 weeks? There is a wicked 2 week growth spurt and he maybe trying top your supply

Mommy to Piper 6/5/09 and an 11/2011
    Make a pregnancy ticker

I thought the recommended age was 6+ weeks or when you've establish a good supply.

I can tell he isn't eating because he isn't swallowing and barely sucking. When he went through the 1 week growth spurt I could hear him swallowing and his sucking was strong like he does when he really eats. He has plenty of wet and dirty diapers. Gaining lots of weight too.

I have a uterus infection and am in a lot of pain so if I can give him a paci to soothe him and let me rest some it's worth a try. It's either try a paci or supplement with formula fr a bit

Just FYI, neither of my kids liked a paci. I tried it when each of them after 4 weeks and they both hated it. Mommy ended up being the paci
    Megan (29) and Jayson (31) Happily married 9 years

I tried within the first week. My first HAD to have something to suck on at all times or she would scream. If she was hungry, she would spit it out so I don't think it affected anything. my other 3 have used them on and off but not a lot. They all only liked the Avent ones or smoothies. The biggest thing I'd watch is his latch. He may start latching differently after using it. So unlatch him and relatch if he does.
    ~ Shannon
    Michael, Married October, 2003
    Jessica, June 2005 ~ Kyle, September 2007 ~ Michaela, March 2010 ~ Abigail, June 2012

Man i just realized how witchy(repalce w with a b)my last post sounded. Sorry :/ I'm not that kind of person

Well I gave him a paci and he slept good. He is latching on me great still and actually eating thank god If I didn't let him use me as a paci there was just no way he would stop crying. I thought it was gas so I tried gripe water and it did nothing. Rocking and swaddling did nothing. Now with the paci he is bright eyed and looking around and so content.

Thanks for the advice ladies. I appreciate it so much.

Hugs. I didn't read it that way at all. I'm glad you got some rest. Definitely take care of yourself. He sounds like my first and just has a strong need to suck. I had pacifiers and backup pacis everywhere!
    ~ Shannon
    Jessica, June 2005 ~ Kyle, September 2007 ~ Michaela, March 2010 ~ Abigail, June 2012

I gave both of my DSs pacis while still in the hospital, and it never interfered with either of them nursing. First DS loved his paci, and baby DS is more of a take or leave kinda fella. I think he uses it at daycare when he naps, but he never does at home. He's been STTN since he was 3 weeks old too. Do what works for you and your family.
    Vicki 39 DH45 SD12 SS9
    DS Hudson Sept 23, 2009!
    DS Trevor July 29, 2012!
    "Fat babies have no pride" - Lyle Lovett

No offense here. I forgot you had been sick. Do whatever you need to right now. Hope you are feeling better.

Mommy to Piper 6/5/09 and an 11/2011
    Make a pregnancy ticker

He is still nursing well sleeping better too! Thanks again ladies...so glad I didn't have to go to formula I love the bonding time I have with my son. Just Having lots of pain from this infection:/ my mom is excited too because she gets to actually spend time with him instead of him having to have me when ever he was awake.

Yay! It's hard being a human pacifier even when everything's good. You need a break and rest! So glad this is helping.
    ~ Shannon