Thread: wwyd--neighbor receiving threats!

Blog Entries

Default wwyd--neighbor receiving threats!

I'll try to keep this short!

Our next door neighbors apparently received some kind of threat today. I don't know exactly what the threat had to do with, or even exactly what it was aside from "someone will die"----or even if it was serious or some kind of a joke. I learned about this today from another neighbor that I'm friends with. Apparently her husband saw some one put something in our next door neighbor's mailbox. They called the police b/c of the content of the threat...and the police came to question my (friend/neighbor's) husband about the guy he saw.

So of course now I'm paranoid. These people don't have kids, but clearly I do. Someone is threatening them at their home, and since we're next door now I'm worried about being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Or worse, my girls being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Gah. I shouldn't even have to worry about this!

The next door neighbors are about our age--late 30's to early 40's--and I've always gotten along well with them. They're friendly to us, nice to the girls, etc. But I'll there have been times where I've heard a few rumors about them over the years, from the husband abusing the wife to possible drug activity. Clearly I don't have any proof and that's not something I'd ever ask about! But they don't cause commotion, aren't noisy, and I do like to give people the benefit of the doubt. However, these rumors coupled with what I heard today...well, I'm starting to wonder.

We live in a good neighborhood--quiet, a lot of older folks actually, and over the last 5 years or so we've started to see some turnover to younger families since the older folk are moving, going to retirement homes, etc. I hate the idea of not feeling safe in my own home/yard!

I guess all I can do is keep an eye out for suspicious activity...and be extra careful around here. I'm glad it's not the middle of summer because I can't imagine not letting the girls go outside to play...but now of course I don't even want them to walk to the mailbox with me for fear something terrible might happen.

What would you think? What would you do? I know there isn't really anything I can do except keep a careful eye out for strange people/stuff, so I guess I'm just looking for general feedback. Thanks for reading if you made it this far. Maybe I just needed to vent!

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

I had something like this last year. Super stressful!

The house next to us is a rental. These people moved in at like 3am and I never saw them. They almost never left the house and never even came outside. However there would be people coming in and out all day long, nobody stayed long and they normally left the cars running. One day I noticed both people from the house getting in the car with a lot of their things. The next month or so these guys came over everyday, pulled up the garage door and sat there all day. They asked me several times where so and so was and just kept waiting. When the neighbor came home they had a fight and the neighbor moved out in the middle of the night. I'm sure they dealt drugs or something.

I was super worried about it. I started parking in the garage and not using the front door when I left. I let Cameron play in the backyard only and I had to be there. I was nervous to call the police and have those guys sitting in my garage. I live alone with Cameron but am lucky enough that my other neighbor works nights and keeps an eye on things during the day. I wish I had advice for you, but I didn't know how to handle it either!

Blog Entries

How scary! I guess that all you can do is be keep a very close eye on things. I know that I would also be scared! We did have people going in and out of our basement (stealing things, hanging out, etc) and my neighbors would never call the police (and just tell us since my DH is the building president). Other or the same people were also smoking pot and using our mail box as an ash tray around the same time. We were able to fix is by changing our locks and updating our window covering. Someone has also unlocked a window so that they could come in and out as they wished. It was not fun!

I hope that whatever is going on is safely over very soon.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Our actual neighbor threatened to stand on his porch and shoot at us because of a property line dispute at one point, and another time just gave a vague "You'll regret it" when I asked about getting a surveyor to measure out the property lines. Although I talked to the police about it, they told me that we couldn't do anything about it because people threaten to kill each other all the time around here. Only if there was a sense of immediate danger and fear for our lives would they be able to do something.

I have to be really strict with the kids about not letting them set one foot in the disputed area, but as time has gone by, it's gotten better.

I would just try to find out more, if I were you, like what the context of the threat was and if it seemed to be serious. A drive-by shooting sort of threat would be more nerve-wracking to you than poison in his soup. If you're friendly with them, you could probably ask about it in the context of being concerned about them and wondering if there is anything you should do to help, and maybe that way you could get enough info about whether or not they might be expected to be in the neighborhood again to carry out the threat.

Yeah, it sucks. At least it sounds like they know which is the right house.

How awful!

Blog Entries

Thanks for the responses. For those of you who have had troublesome neighbors, I'm sorry! It stinks when the actions of other affect you and your family, and your safety.

Things have been quiet around here, but I'm kinda glad it's gotten colder so we're inside more. I'm still keeping an eye out for any unusual activity, though.

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)