I'll try to keep this short!

Our next door neighbors apparently received some kind of threat today. I don't know exactly what the threat had to do with, or even exactly what it was aside from "someone will die"----or even if it was serious or some kind of a joke. I learned about this today from another neighbor that I'm friends with. Apparently her husband saw some one put something in our next door neighbor's mailbox. They called the police b/c of the content of the threat...and the police came to question my (friend/neighbor's) husband about the guy he saw.

So of course now I'm paranoid. These people don't have kids, but clearly I do. Someone is threatening them at their home, and since we're next door now I'm worried about being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Or worse, my girls being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Gah. I shouldn't even have to worry about this!

The next door neighbors are about our age--late 30's to early 40's--and I've always gotten along well with them. They're friendly to us, nice to the girls, etc. But I'll there have been times where I've heard a few rumors about them over the years, from the husband abusing the wife to possible drug activity. Clearly I don't have any proof and that's not something I'd ever ask about! But they don't cause commotion, aren't noisy, and I do like to give people the benefit of the doubt. However, these rumors coupled with what I heard today...well, I'm starting to wonder.

We live in a good neighborhood--quiet, a lot of older folks actually, and over the last 5 years or so we've started to see some turnover to younger families since the older folk are moving, going to retirement homes, etc. I hate the idea of not feeling safe in my own home/yard!

I guess all I can do is keep an eye out for suspicious activity...and be extra careful around here. I'm glad it's not the middle of summer because I can't imagine not letting the girls go outside to play...but now of course I don't even want them to walk to the mailbox with me for fear something terrible might happen.

What would you think? What would you do? I know there isn't really anything I can do except keep a careful eye out for strange people/stuff, so I guess I'm just looking for general feedback. Thanks for reading if you made it this far. Maybe I just needed to vent!