Thread: Father has C-Diff

Default Father has C-Diff

It's contagious, right? He's in the hospital now and I think we're cancelling thanksgiving so as not to have the babies around him ....

I don't know a lot about c-diff. Anyone?

How much do you really want to know? My MIL had it.
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!

Sure, tell me. He's already saying he might have cancer too. So at this point, nothing is going to shock me. But I think we're canceling T-giving. My mom is kinda freaking out.

C-diff is pretty bad stuff. It is basically an intestinal bacteria that grows out of control after a person has been on antibiotics that destroy the good bacteria in the colon. My MIL had been hospitalized with a UTI and contracted it while there. She went steadily downhill after that. Some people hardly show any symptoms and others get extremely ill, as my MIL did. There are a number of severe complications that can develop and even cause death. Although they said this is not what killed my MIL -- she tested negative for it about two weeks before she died -- I'm convinced that it was what weakened her to the point that she could not recover.

C-diff is contagious. When my MIL had it, we had to gown up and wear masks when we went to see her, and even then they recommended scrubbing our hands really well after we left her room. Now, my husband DID take both Katie and Nathan to visit her while she had it, but was very careful to avoid physical contact and washed them up really well afterwards. No one else ever got sick from it.

One of the nurses on the board can probably explain it better than I have, but it's a pretty bad bug.
    Last edited by LanceBabe; 11-19-2012 at 07:53 PM.
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

It's absolutely contagious and can be quite dangerous especially for the old, very young, or otherwise immunocompromised. But on the other (less scary end) I battled it for 3 months and no one else in my family got it. I of course was able to do all my own hygiene care which I think can often make the difference between it spreading within a household or not. But just wanted to share that while it's definitely contagious, it doesn't always run rampant.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Exactly what Tif said. I had it after my first C-Section. I was at home the whole time, had to be on several months of pulsed antibiotics and constant probiotics, and nobody else ever caught it from me.

My grandmother got it too and was being cared for by my mother and aunt. She couldn't do any of her own ADL's and no one ever got it but they were very careful about gloves, hand washing, lysol....

I didn't take Piper to visit during that time. It made me too nervous.

Mommy to Piper 6/5/09 and an 11/2011
    Make a pregnancy ticker

Well, we're definitely not doing Thanksgiving. I wonder how long he'll have it for/be contagious for.

I told him the probiotics would help but he said the doctor didn't tell him he had to take that? Ugh- that would be like common sense, no?

Anyway, he really misses my daughter and his other grandkids - I just wonder how long we have to be careful with this.

It can take months poor guy.

Mommy to Piper 6/5/09 and an 11/2011
    Make a pregnancy ticker

c.diff is spread via the fecal oral route i.e. if you have a spore on your hand & then put your hand in your mouth you could get it. hand washing with soap & water is key, purell does not kill the spores.

So my dad still wants to have thanksgiving. At my sister's house - where there is a newborn. I don't think any of this is a good idea. It's fecal/oral, I get that, but I still think it's too too risky.

For the immunosupressed, C. diff can be dangerous BUT...most of us are exposed to it frequently, especially if we have indoor/outdoor pets. The spores can live in soil for ~5 months. Washing hands with SOAP AND WARM WATER is essential to prevent spread. Alcohol-based sanitizers can not permeate the hull of the spore and kill it, so it is best to use soap + water and then a hand sanitizer afterwards to clean hands. I don't think I would want a newborn around someone with an infection, but toddlers it would not bother me; mine eat dirt and whatever else they can put in their mouths before I can stop them. I would take precautions but not isolate yourself from your family.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Is he going to be discharged before Thanksgiving?

Yes, he's being discharged tomorrow. I just have no idea how long the infection is contagious for.

This is good information and may help you:
    http://effectivehealthcare.ahrq.gov/...displayproduct

I deal with patients and C-diff almost daily. As long as they are washing there hands after using the restroom and keeping clean than everyone will be fine. To be safe I would just not let him hold the babies. You would have to come into contact with his fecal matter then put it in your mouth to get it. Proper hygine is important.

I had it after my c-section. Actually, I had no idea what was wrong with me and thought I was just having severe stomach issues from the stress of the birth, a baby in the nicu and finally a newborn at home. For 2 weeks I couldn't eat without being in horrible pain, they finally tested me for c diff and I was positive. I needed 6 weeks of heavy duty antibiotics but finally got it cleared from my body. The pedi told me its nearly impossible to spread it to newborns but I was still very very careful and neither my husband or baby got it.

I lost 50lbs though since I lost the baby weight and more because of not being able to eat. It was awful.
    Mother to seven flying, called home too soon.

Thanks everyone, we cancelled, but we'll be seeing him soon.