Thread: Food for a 1 year old help

Exclamation Food for a 1 year old help

Sophia has been introduced to milk she doesn't not like even with Formula, warm, or cold. I need ideas for her because formula is so... expensive we'll obviously keep getting but, we are losing her formula in a week on WIC. Anymore ideas for milk? Also she tends to like what we eat but, she doesn't always like the new textures I need some soft food ideas for her. Cody ate a lot more than she did . She sometimes eats like a bird and its been over 3 years since I went through this transistion so I feel bad because I don't remember all his first table foods. I know she at least likes pizza, pancakes without syrup, yogurt, pudding, chicken nuggets, spinach, and she still has a lot of pureed fruits and vegetables from WIC- baby foods.
    Last edited by hotpinkmomma0811; 11-18-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Maybe try yogurt or cheese instead. Mine could not tolerate milk so we do almond milk instead.

Todays avatar was brought to you by shirtwoot!

Blog Entries

Your child does not need to drink milk ever, really. There are plenty of other options for getting enough calcium.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

Don't worry too much about milk right now, just give her cheese and yogurt. If you're determined to get her on milk try adding vanilla to it or a little bit of chocolate powder. Both my kids were breastfed, BM is sweeter than cows milk so a little bit of chocolate helps it taste more like BM. I dunno about formula but I suspect the same may be true. You can gradually wean them off of it by adding less and less. Mine both drink whole white milk now with chocolate as an occasional treat.

As for table foods, we practiced baby lead solids with the youngest DS. So much easier than that mess with babyfood. Here's a quick list of good things for that:

Overcooked pasta: This is a good one because you can buy whole wheat and it comes in different shapes. Just cook it for a few minutes more than it says on the package and it gets soft. DS2 was eating mac and cheese pretty early because his big brother ate it and he wanted it.
    Peas, carrots, corn, roasted squash, tomatoes, beans (my youngest loves baked beans), cucumber (just the middle, not the peel)
    Raspberries, strawberries, bananas, avocado, blueberries (cut in half), grapes (cut in half), cantaloupe, soft peaches, soft pears
    Applesauce
    Bread and butter or bread and jam
    Eggs
    Cheese on toast (just make toast, put a slice of cheese on it then wack it under the broiler for a couple minutes until the cheese melts, then cut it into bits)
    Cottage cheese
    Cheerios

At that age I wasn't concerned about silverware. I'd give DS maybe 3 things from that list on the tray of his little booster chair and let him go to town. Like a dollop of cottage cheese, a small handful of blueberries that have been cut in half and a handful of peas. He'd make a mess but that was how he learned to eat and now he's not a terribly picky toddler who always wants to try new things. Basically baby can eat anything you are eating as long as it's small enough and soft enough. Avoid a lot of spice and peanut butter, shellfish and honey. (My DS2 had peanut butter before a year thanks to DS1... ahem)

Here he is at just under a year old with overcooked pasta, peas and little bits of cheese.

Last edited by Dreya; 11-18-2012 at 03:42 PM.
    Megan (29) and Jayson (31) Happily married 9 years

Sakura Guest

^^^ I agree with Megan. That is almost exactly what we're doing with the girls. They much much prefer to feed themselves (one of them has refused purees for quite a while now) and they love all of those things.

I agree with the above that almost anything works. I did use spice, though. Not spic-y per se but spiced or seasoned, yes. Chinese, Indian, mexican, lebanese... he ate and eats it all. And I used to take fruits like apples and pears, and bake peeled cubes with cinnamon, a tiny bit of sugar and lemon juice. As he got older, I would make it a tad less mushy. We could eat it too on ice cream or whatever. If you still want pureed food, you can go to the cuisinart sitel i recall that they had baby food recipes in their recipe section.

As for milk, while you may agree that it's not needed, at least for my kid, it's a comfort food, too. We transitioned and didn't just cut him off from the bottle or sippy. If your child wants the same, i suppose you could try those milk substitutes? Almond or whatever. And are you using whole or skim? Maybe the type is the issue for her?

I agree with the others. Eva (i have a Sophia too) is 14m and eats most of what we eat, and she has only 4 teeth. She won't eat any kind of smushy food off a s poon She eats cheese and yogurt, but doesn't drink milk. She is still breastfed but isn't interested on drinking milk at all. She drinks water out of a sippy cup.

Quote Originally Posted by ibisgirldc View Post
    I agree with the above that almost anything works. I did use spice, though. Not spic-y per se but spiced or seasoned, yes. Chinese, Indian, mexican, lebanese... he ate and eats it all. And I used to take fruits like apples and pears, and bake peeled cubes with cinnamon, a tiny bit of sugar and lemon juice. As he got older, I would make it a tad less mushy. We could eat it too on ice cream or whatever. If you still want pureed food, you can go to the cuisinart sitel i recall that they had baby food recipes in their recipe section.

As for milk, while you may agree that it's not needed, at least for my kid, it's a comfort food, too. We transitioned and didn't just cut him off from the bottle or sippy. If your child wants the same, i suppose you could try those milk substitutes? Almond or whatever. And are you using whole or skim? Maybe the type is the issue for her?
    For now we have 2% but we are about to go out of town on Wednesday and will plan on getting whole milk when we get back. I know whole milk is what we are "supposed" to be doing but, I was using what I
    have. I will try the almond milk with her if its okay with her pedi.

2% milk is fine. You don't have to use whole. Lots of kids can't tolerate whole milk at a year old. I agree that milk isn't a necessity. Another thing you can do is mix it half formula half milk and cut down on the ratio of formula until it's all milk. It's a gentler transition and might help with the difference in taste.
    Mary Jane, doula and mom of Vada, Brynna, Tea, Moira, Kyan, Ambria, Aslan, and Anakin.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~ Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by MaryJane View Post
    2% milk is fine. You don't have to use whole. Lots of kids can't tolerate whole milk at a year old. I agree that milk isn't a necessity. Another thing you can do is mix it half formula half milk and cut down on the ratio of formula until it's all milk. It's a gentler transition and might help with the difference in taste.
    Yes I've tried added like 2 oz of milk and 4oz formula and she pushes her bottle away. I wonder if any of it has to do with her personality and the couple of sips here and there she just doesn't like the taste?

My first DS used to drink the vanilla flavored toddler formulas, and he seemed to really like it. But he wasn't really picky though. (At least not back then )
    Vicki 39 DH45 SD12 SS9
    DS Hudson Sept 23, 2009!
    DS Trevor July 29, 2012!
    "Fat babies have no pride" - Lyle Lovett

Quote Originally Posted by JJorn View Post
    Your child does not need to drink milk ever, really. There are plenty of other options for getting enough calcium.
    This