Thread: Any nurses here?

Default Any nurses here?

In drug test results, what does it mean if it says "specimen was dilute"?
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!

Means that the urine specimen has a greater concentration of water than a normal urine sample.

http://www.hiresafe.com/Understandin..._Specimens.pdf
    Phoebe Grace 6-22-11; 37.5" and 26.2# at 2 years old! She is my wild child!
    Me & Geoff, 40; DD Phoebe, our June Bug

That's what I thought it meant. Nathan's dad had to show 6 months drug free before getting unsupervised visitation. He completed his "program" last week and gave Erin his drug test results and a letter from the therapist today. The test in September (they only tested once a month) said "specimen dilute" and the creatinine level was only 19. Should we be concerned or let it go?

I'm guessing he did half a toilet dip and half urine. Sounds fishy to me. They should have re-tested. Or he did a body flush with something. Not sure there's much you can do since it was 2 months ago. Maybe request a hair sample?
    Last edited by Babidol; 11-16-2012 at 06:06 PM.

Mommy to Piper 6/5/09 and an 11/2011
    Make a pregnancy ticker

Doesn't necessarily mean anything bad; I had to redo my drug test I took for the job I am at because it was too diluted. I drank like 3 bottles of water before hand because I always have a hard time when it comes to urine samples (not sure why?) but they suggested one bottle of water before hand and that's it. BUT I also googled creatinine levels and according to google 19 is dangerously high ? I read anything over 10 is possible kidney failure. I could be wrong though I work with eye doctors, I am not a nurse lol.

Hmmm I don't think it would sit well with me. Though if the "powers that be" are fine with it I am not sure if you can force the issue or a retest. It would be worth finding out though.

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (6) and Jericho (3 1/2)
    Trying to complete our family...My Ovulation Chart for my LAST try !

The creatin is a way to flush your body. Lots of people do niacin too. Bad stuff.

Make a pregnancy ticker

http://www.norchemlab.com/wp-content...Creatinine.pdf

This is an interesting article about urine drug screens that may answer some of your questions & IMO I would have a problem with his srug screen results.
    Dee Dee, Mom to 2 handsome young men & 2 beautiful girls!

Like this.....which specifically mentions creatine.....http://www.passyourtest.com/sameday_info.html

Make a pregnancy ticker

Exactly my thinking as well, but my husband and Erin refuse to pursue it. See, the court order said

Father agrees to enroll in and successfully complete a Court-approved
    drug treatment program and follow any and all recommendations provided by the
    program. The Father shall submit to drug testing and have said program provide a copy
    of the results of all drug tests to the Mother. Upon receiving negative screenings for six
    (6) consecutive months, the supervision required by this Order shall be suspended and
    weekend visitations shall be the first (1st) and third (3rd) weekends from 4:00 pm on
    Friday until 6:30 pm on Sunday.

Now, throughout this time, he has only been given Erin copies of his drug tests once every two months, so we assumed that was how seldom they were being done. Today, when she dropped Nathan off for his first unsupervised visitation, he gave her the letter from the therapist and 1 drug test a month for each of May, June, July, September, and October. The one for September is the one that said the specimen was dilute and we didn't have that until today. According to our attorney, we would be well within our rights to have refused to allow him to take Nathan today if we did not feel he had complied with the Court order, but my husband insists on letting it go. I am NOT happy or comfortable with this at all, especially since he plans to move 60 miles away from where we live now the 1st of December -- he currently lives in the same county and about 10 miles away from us. His mother is moving with him, but within the next year, she will be leaving and moving to Florida. Based on his views about marijuana use, I'd bet my last dollar that he's going to go right back to using now that he's supposedly finished his "program" and gotten unsupervised visitation.

sounds like he did some kind of flush to trick the test. I wonder why they allowed that to go?

I don't know what he did, but I don't like it one bit. Unfortunately, it's not totally up to me whether to pursue it or not and I'm out-voted.

Blog Entries

So they are ok letting a dad who might be on drugs watch Nathan unsupervised? Are they really thinking about what could happen if that were the case? If something did happen wouldn't they wish that they had chosen differently?
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

Quote Originally Posted by JJorn View Post
    So they are ok letting a dad who might be on drugs watch Nathan unsupervised? Are they really thinking about what could happen if that were the case? If something did happen wouldn't they wish that they had chosen differently?
    Exactly MY point, but nobody listens to ME. DH just says "no matter what he does, it's not going to satisfy you because you don't trust him." Well, DUH! He's been smoking pot for 10 YEARS, sees absolutely nothing wrong with that fact, did the minimum "treatment" possible only because it was Court ordered, and I'm supposed to believe that he's not going to go right back to smoking pot now that the Court isn't watching him? He doesn't work, either, unless that's changed VERY recently (like in the past month), so how is he going to even support himself when his mother leaves for Florida and be able to feed and take care of Nathan the weekends that he has him?

Creatine is NOT the same as creatinine. The first is a supplement and the second is a measure of kidney function (though, it is related to the breakdown of Creatine ingested). He really could be over-hydrated. Was the creatinine level 19, or 1.9, or 0.19? Normal is ~1, with >2 typically indicative of kidney failure (acute or chronic). Patients on dialysis are anywhere from 3.5-6 as a norm; I've seen it as high as 14, but never as high as 19?? No matter; I would demand a retest, or a blood test or hair follicle test.

Quote Originally Posted by Palee View Post
    Creatine is NOT the same as creatinine. The first is a supplement and the second is a measure of kidney function (though, it is related to the breakdown of Creatine ingested). He really could be over-hydrated. Was the creatinine level 19, or 1.9, or 0.19? Normal is ~1, with >2 typically indicative of kidney failure (acute or chronic). Patients on dialysis are anywhere from 3.5-6 as a norm; I've seen it as high as 14, but never as high as 19?? No matter; I would demand a retest, or a blood test or hair follicle test.
    It was not creatine, it was creatinine. Researching regarding drug testing, I found this:

To be considered "normal" the creatinine concentration must be between 20 mg/dl and 250 mg/dl

On three of his drug tests, the level was in the upper 100's, like between 150 and 190. One of them it was 65, and then the one in question it was 19.