Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about post partum bleeding

Default Question about post partum bleeding

Warning might be tmi...

So far the past three days the bleeding has been non existent really. I had my son on the 7th and also got a tubal ligation. All of a sudden today I started cramping real bad and then a huge gush of blood came and completely filled up my pad and soaked through my pants and underwear to my sheets. Called my dr and they have called me in some meds to take to stop the bleeding. The pain feels like I just had him yesterday.

They think I had a clot that had stopped the flow and all of a sudden (while I was nursing my son) the clot broke free and caused this blood rush. I'm already extremely anemic and taking two iron pills a day and now they want me to take three a day. They had to give me the same medicine in the hospital right after I had him to stop the bleeding.

So does this sound normal? Have any of you experienced this? I never had any of these issues with dd. sorry if this is super jumpy. I'm kinda freaked out...

With my son Cody I had tons of clots and blood for 2-3 weeks it was bad. Your uterus might have a double whammy for a while with the delivery and tubal ligation. With Cody I had blood soaked undies a couple of times.

It's just crazy because I had no pain or discomfort the past couple of days and then boom this...I'm just worried more or less about losing too much blood and something else be wrong :/

Yes, I had the same thing happen almost a week after my VBAC. I had minimal bleeding/discomfort and then all of the sudden I had major vaginal pain and a very large clot passed. I bled for another week after it passed and had no other issues. The only thing that concern's me is your prior blood clotting issues you were medicated for after delivery, not sure how that would affect recovery.
    Last edited by Zydeco; 11-16-2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: added sentence

Well I just called my nurse because the medicine I'm supposed to take is excreted in breast milk. She then realized that I had not been in any pain for days and now the pain is so bad I can barely move. She wants me to go to the e.r. But the bleeding has subsided. The pain has not though...I really don't want to take him to the hospital :/ sigh I just don't know what to do....

Blog Entries

I'd go to the hospital. Did you go?
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

If the nurse is telling you to go to the hospital, you should go. Best of luck and lots of prayers!
    Jennifer

I'm at thehospital now...dr just pressed all over my stomach and the right side about killed me left wasn't sore at all...

I hope it's nothing serious and you are home soon, feeling better!

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

Blog Entries

I hope that they figure this out quickly!
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.

Oh yikes! Hope they can figure it out soon and that you will be on the fast road to recovery!
    ~Jenn~ Mom to Ethan - my heart surgery survivor - born 6/29/09

Thanks ladies...waiting on blood work and they started an iv on me.

I hope everything is okay I am sorry you are going through this!

Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

I have a Uterus infection glad I came in. They started antibiotics through an iv for me. Should I be worried about my little man getting thrush while I'm on the antibiotics? Anything I can do to prevent it?

I had an infection after I had my daughter but it was right after delivery. Do you ladies know what cause this?

Sorry I don't have any advice - just want to say I hope you are feeling better soon!

Blog Entries

It is possible for you both to get thrush/yeast infections when on antibiotics. You can take probiotics (both of you - they have liquid forms for babies) or you can eat yogurt. Do the probiotics/yogurt in between your antibiotic doses. So if you take it at breakfast and dinner, do your probiotics at lunch, etc.

I'm sorry you've got an infection, but I'm glad you got an answer! I agree with the probiotics in between doses of antibiotics. Hope you're feeling better soon!
    Jennifer

Well ladies I finished my antibiotics 2 days ago and I'm back in the same boat as before anyone have and experience with a uterus infection? I had one with my daughter and it went away with one round of antibiotics.

Im in so much pain. Dr told me to come get bloodwork in the morning. I don't like taking pain meds while breastfeeding but I can't even pick him up without tearing up :/

I'm worried about what's going to happen if I do still have it. More antibiotics or what :/
    Last edited by liontamer; 11-26-2012 at 05:10 PM.

I have had one, but following a fibroid surgery, not birth. They might give IV antibiotics, or just switch to a stronger oral. Depending on what they think might be causing it they might want to do a d&c. Or at least that was my experience. Keep on top of this though! I can't imaging having a newborn when I went through it!

Quote Originally Posted by runningmomofmany View Post
    I have had one, but following a fibroid surgery, not birth. They might give IV antibiotics, or just switch to a stronger oral. Depending on what they think might be causing it they might want to do a d&c. Or at least that was my experience. Keep on top of this though! I can't imaging having a newborn when I went through it!
    I'm debating just going in to an urgent care tonight. With my daughter it showed up right after birth so I received iv antibiotics for four days at the hospital. I had a 104 fever right after I had her. I'm guessing that's what I need. They had to scrape me out after I had him so I think that's why I'm having such an issue with infection.plus getting my tubes tied:/

Blog Entries

Did you go back in? I probably would just go since you should not be in this much pain again already.

I hope you are getting some relief

Well I went to the e.r. Last night and had twenty people ahead of me soo went home. Urgent care wouldn't see me because i was to late getting there. So I went into to get my blood drawn at my drs today. I received the results via email but it didnt say if I still had an infection. It just had all the numbers and stuff.

So I'm waiting on the phone call from them explaining the results. Still in so much pain and I have a major headache

I really hope you feel better fast!!

I would guess that it is from the extra things they did during your delivery, anytime a procedure is done there is risk for infection. When I had my hysteroscopy done I had to take antibiotics before and after the procedure to prevent infection.

Best of luck and I certainly hope it goes away fast!
    ~Jenn~ Mom to Ethan - my heart surgery survivor - born 6/29/09

Oh my goodness...just seeing this now!!! (((HUGS)))!!

Call your Dr on the after-hours emergency line and let him know. If you need to go to er your Dr can let them know you're coming and reduce your wait time.

Were you gbs+?

My opinion is that they should have sent you home with a 10day course of antibiotics.

I had a gbs infection (placenta, uterus, and bladder were all infected) when I was in labor with Adam. I had 48hrs of iv antibiotics and was sent home with a 10day course also.

Praying this resolves soon! Kup!!

Didnt have group strep b.

The nurse said my blood didnt show signs of infection. I have a drs appt at 9 in the morning but I just feel like something is seriously wrong :/ it causes excruciating pain to even touch my lower abdomen. I would think all this pain was normal but it stopped and came back with vengeance. It's mainly on my right side. Feels like cyst pain but a thousand times worse.

The dr at the er when I went told me that all my bloodwork didn't show signs of infection but I had all the symptoms.

I'm really worried. I can't even change my son and feeding him kills me. I would hate to have to give up breastfeeding because it hurts me too bad.

My nurse told me she thinks this is normal pains...doesn't feel normal to me. I didn't even hurt this bad after having him

Blog Entries

That for sure doesn't sound like normal pain at all. I hate when you know something is wrong and the nurse just says it sounds normal. Trust your instinct here.

It sure doesn't sound normal to me either! I've had some serious cramping after giving birth but my abdomen was never tender to touch. The intense postpartum cramping has also never lasted more than a week for me...I would think you'd be well beyond that by now.

I don't think that's normal after a tubal either.

Definitely don't give up bfing...there are safe and effective pain meds you can take.

Is your temp elevated...even slightly?

Eesh...I'm so sorry you're being brushed off! I would call the after-hours doc...my discharge papers always stated if I developed pain/tender abdomen to call in even after hours.

(((Hugs)))...praying for you!

My temps not elevated at all but I am having hot flashes. I'm nauseated from being in pain now the er had way too many people(30!) and the on call dr told me that was my only option. So waiting it out until the morning. Appt at nine am central time.

I appreciate you ladies so much!