Thread: potty talk

Default potty talk

What do you do about "potty talk" in your home? By that I mean using "private" type words - poop, pee, names for private parts, etc.

My girls are RELENTLESS with this and have been for over a year now. I have basically ignored it and said they can't use them at the dinner table or outside the house or when people are over. They generally obey those rules however I just can't take it anymore. They are obsessed with the word vagina which is really annoying because we purposely taught them that word because it's so "taboo" and didn't want them to feel ashamed to say it or talk about it if there is a problem in that area. But they just scream it all day long and say gross things like talking about sticking things in it! I have NO idea where that is coming from because we have never talked about anything going into or coming out of that area and there is no way they saw it on TV or anything like that. I really think it's just something to say but it's disturbing and I just can't listen to it anymore.

So how do you handle this at your home?
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Stalking... we have hard time with "poopy butt". If one gets angry at another, they start screaming "poop" and "poopy butt" at each other. VERY VERY VERY annoying.... Not sure what to do about it other than reinforce the rules but gets on my nerves
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

It's an unending annoyance around here as well. I ask them to leave the room or I get up and leave with the reason that I don't like to hear it so I'm going away. Usually they stop then because they don't want me to go. But sometimes they don't care a bit.

We have a family member who's little girl (4) is obsessed with saying "poop". It got to the point that they had to make a rule that she could only use that word while in te bathroom. Maybe something along those lines would work for you too???

Quote Originally Posted by tanyachap View Post
    Stalking... we have hard time with "poopy butt". If one gets angry at another, they start screaming "poop" and "poopy butt" at each other. VERY VERY VERY annoying.... Not sure what to do about it other than reinforce the rules but gets on my nerves
    TOTALLY off topic, but I had to laugh at this because DH has a cousin who little boy used to scream "pooppy poop-poop" at the top of his lung while having tantrums, and this brought me back to those days...

*Kimberly* Mommy to Hayden (7), Alexis (5), Makenzie & Brooke (18m)!
    Looking for some bows for your little one? check us out --> www.sweetnsassycouture.com

Blog Entries

I tried talking to my DD about it, I tried ignoring it and I finally told it that I would no longer tolerate her using those woods for fun and that she would get in trouble when she used them that way. That was the end of it surprisingly.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

I made the rule that they could only use that talk in the bathroom and they would go hang out in the bathroom. That was annoying.

I don't have this problem very much but, I remember this show it had a British nanny but, I don't remember what this show was called. When children use "bad" words/ "potty words" she had the children go into the bathroom if they felt like they needed to use those words but, only in the bathroom.

I'm sure it's the age. I went to dd school the other day to help serve lunch since they were extremely short staffed and the kids were getting int double at the lunch table for potty words. Honestly, it was hysterical. One would say poop followed by hysterical laughter from the other kids then another would say pee followed by hysteria....and the list goes on. I see though how it gets annoying quickly. They just told them to cut it out and they did but I would have no idea how to make it stop at home. We have garbage words that she gets in trouble for like stupid or idiot and she doesn't say them often because it means a time out.

Mommy to Piper 6/5/09 and an 11/2011
    Make a pregnancy ticker

Yep, we dealt with this too. Just like others posted I told her those were bathroom words we only use while we're actually in the bathroom. The first few days she would go in there and say them and giggle like a hyena. But it pretty quickly stopped her from using them constantly. It was literally all.day.long. Now if she slips up (very rarely), I just remind her she needs to go in the bathroom if she wants to say those words.

Quote Originally Posted by tanyachap View Post
    Poopy butt is our potty phrase of choice here, too. Especially the 3 year old. He's even started using it as a term of endearment with his grandparents, who then laugh.

We also tell the boys that they can only use those words in the bathroom. When we're in public, though, that's a tough one because they love going to the bathroom of restaurants for some strange reason, so screaming "poopy butt" gets them a free pass to go.