Thread: Katie said "We're leaving her here?"

Default Katie said "We're leaving her here?"

MIL's funeral was yesterday. At the funeral home, seeing great-grandma in the coffin, Katie finally "gets it." This is the first experience she's had with death, so trying to explain it to her just wasn't working. She finally understood that great-grandma was dead and what that meant and starting crying. She cried for a few minutes and then started playing with her little cousins again. Then at the graveside, she (and her 5-year-old cousin John) was curious about the hole in the ground under the coffin, so we talked about that and how great-grandma would be lowered into it and the hole filled in. She and John wanted to stay and watch, which of course we did not. Katie was okay until we actually got in the car and started to leave. Then she said "we're leaving her here?! I'm never ever going to see her again!" and started crying. That was the hardest part of the whole day for me.
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sure trying to help a little one come to terms with it made it extra difficult. Big hugs for you and your family.
    D-Mama (37) D-Dada (43) and D-Baby (11/02/2011)

I am sorry for your loss
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

That must have been difficult. I am sorry for your loss

I'm sorry for your loss and I know what you're going through. We are actually coming up on the first anniversary of my MIL's passing. It took a while for my oldest DS to realize that Nana wasn't coming back, he asked to go see her for a while afterward. My DS2 doesn't even remember Nana
    Megan (29) and Jayson (31) Happily married 9 years

Poor girl. Can you visit the grave site often? I am not sure if that will help or make it worst.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
    Jennifer

Thank you, everyone. And yes, we can visit the grave site often. It is only about 45 minutes away from our house. She's not mentioned great-grandma today.
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!

Quote Originally Posted by dana_renay View Post
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sure trying to help a little one come to terms with it made it extra difficult. Big hugs for you and your family.
    Me too

I am sorry for your loss. It must have been really difficult.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Oh, poor little Katie. I'm so sorry for your your loss.

Co-sleeping, baby-wearing, bfing, pumping, working ft mama.