Thread: wendy's wonderful kids...

Default wendy's wonderful kids...

Anyone know anything about adopting through them?

I thought they were a means of featuring kids already in the system, like other photolisting sites. They don't do actual placements, just advertising for harder to place kids. You would need to contact the agency the child/children are with to learn more about the possibility adoption.

I used to check in here pretty often. I really shouldn't have looked. Moat of those top rows I recognize from two, three, four years back. The kids we inquired on have all aged out
    https://www.nwae.org/PhotoIndex-WARE-dbC.php?tn=3

Quote Originally Posted by As Is View Post
    I thought they were a means of featuiring kids already in the system, like other photolisting sites. They don't do actual placements, just advertising for harder to place kids. You would need to contact the agency the child/children are with to learn more about the possibility adoption.
    Oh I see...I was confused because they seemed to encourage potential adoptive families to contact them but after I read your post I went back and did more reading at their website. I think they wanted people to contact them who want to be area recruiters not people who want to adopt :-) . Thank you for helping clarify!

I don't understand the photo listings either...there are still children listed on our state's website that were there when we first started the adoption process four years ago ...we even inquired about some of them (ages 8-10). It's so sad to see them four years older and now even less likely to be adopted because they're teens...breaks my heart!

One sib group we inquired about was split up and we were willing to adopt them together...their listing specifically said it was very important that they be adopted together...I just don't get it .

I'm glad to have had an agency that does internal adoptions so we didn't have to do go through all that it requires to adopt from a separate agency...it was all very smooth, uncomplicated, and fast :-) .

I think though we may become foster care licensed next time. It requires a bit extra but it expedites placement. My understanding was that had we gone that route nothing would have changed...we still would have gotten DS but we could have had him sooner.

That's a few years down the wait-and-see road though :-) .

AnthonyRodriguez Guest

Hello Kelly. I am the communications manager for the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption and want to answer your question about our signature program, Wendy's Wonderful Kids.

Wendy's Wonderful Kids (WWK) is a child-focused recruitment model that focuses on moving the longest-waiting children in foster care to permanent, loving families. To do that, the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption issues grants to public and private adoption agencies to hire adoption professionals to implement the WWK program. The WWK recruiters across the U.S. and Canada have a smaller case load so they can really get to know the children they are working with and give them the attention they deserve. These recruiters employ aggressive practices and proven tactics focused on finding the best home for a child through the starting points of familiar circles of family, friends and neighbors, and then reaching out to the communities in which they live.

Our recruiters do work with any child in foster care but they are mainly focused on the children most at risk of aging out -- older children, sibling groups and children with special needs -- their forever families. This way of doing things has been proven to be up to three times more effective in getting children adopted.

I can tell you, many people who have worked with WWK recruiters have told us they have had wonderful experiences going through the adoption process with them. They are responsive and are there to guide you through what to expect in an adoption if you are matched with a child, or children.

And although we do work with groups like the Northwest Adoption Exchange, the Wendy's Wonderful Kids program does not use photo listings of children in foster care.

You can find out more about the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption and the Wendy's Wonderful Kids program here, here, and here.

I hope this answers your question. If you have more questions, please let me know, or feel free to contact our office at 800.ASK.DTFA.

AnthonyRodriguez, thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my post. The information and links you provided are extremely helpful and much appreciated!

Impressed!