Thread: Hsg

Default Hsg

Anyone here have one and care to share their experience? I have one scheduled for this Wednesday. I'm a little nervous about it and have heard conflicting things. My nurse said I could go alone and should be fine right after. My friend who had one said she had to have someone drive her, and that I will not want to return to work after because I will experience AF like cramps and just want to lay down. I don't know if she's just dramatic or what...

1st round of Clomid did not make me ovulate so my Dr gave me the option of another round of Clomid with a higher dosage or an HSG. I chose the HSG in case there's anything else going on with me we can catch it now and hopefully treat it.
    Candice, 28, STC 7+ years

I was fine to drive after but I was crampy and didn't want to do much after it. I did take some Tylenol before hand to help with the pain cause the girls warned me it would be uncomfortable. I hope it goes well for you.

Blog Entries

I took Tylenol beforehand and was really fine. The HSG was more uncomfortable than painful for me (just the swabbing my cervix with lidocaine was the most painful part). I don't remember a lot of pain afterward but was surprised with the amount of bleeding. I expected spotting but it was way more than that (and just for that first day). The whole procedure from the time I got there to walking out the door was 30 minutes.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    Check out our business, JRSolutions.

I don't think I had a very typical experience. I cramped badly, and my doctor gave me a Valium to take before. DH drove me and it was really far from my house - about 30-40 minutes away. I ended up getting motion sick in the car, probably due to the Valium, and between that and the cramping I was just wiped out. Went home and slept for 2 hours and woke up feeling hung over.

Don't let me scare you, though - most people don't seem to react the way I did. But if for some reason you do have a stronger reaction, just know that it does happen. I definitely would clear the rest of the day and not plan on returning to work.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I had one, and it wasn't too bad. I took 800mg Advil and 1000mg Tylenol about an hour before, no sedatives or anti-anxiety meds so I was fine to drive after. The cramping gets pretty bad when they are injecting the dye, but it doesn't last long and goes away very quickly. I was pretty crampy and a little nauseous for the rest of the day-I was very thankful that I didn't have to go back to work or anything afterwards. Good luck to you, I hope you get good results, I'm sure you'll do just fine!

Erica 33, DH 34, STC for 4+ years, Diagnosed DOR 4/2011, mom to 4 , Barbados IVF March 2013!!!

I had one done 4 years ago and I don't remember it being a bad experience. Just some minor cramping a few times while they were doing it, and then I spotted for 2-3 days after.
    Perhaps you can take some tylenol or advil beforehand just in case.

Thanks so much for then input everyone!! I really appreciate it.
    Candice, 28, STC 7+ years

I remember it was really uncomfortable during. I would definitely take pain reliever before hand. But other than the discomfort during the HSG I do not remember not being able to drive after. I am pretty sure I went to work after.