Thread: Foster Care :-)

Default Foster Care :-)

Lately, I've been thinking about foster care. If/when we adopt again we are planning to get approved for both foster care and adoption to expedite placement after an adoptive match.

However, the idea of doing foster care is growing on me :-) . I talked with DH tonight and he's open to it too. Right now we're maxed out with the number of kids under 17yrs allowed in the home for foster care in our state but as the kids get older we'll be looking into it more :-) .

Anyway, just wanted to share...lol, it's a big deal when DH says he's "open" to something...he's *very* cautious and doesn't make statements like this flippantly or hastily :-)

Good luck with all of that!!!!

Blog Entries

We also hope to someday foster. I'm glad that your DH is on board. I'm pretty sure that we are already maxed with only two bedrooms but we should move this summer and I hope to live in a much bigger place.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    Check out our business, JRSolutions.

Thank you hotpink!

Jess, praying you're able to find the perfect house!!

good luck! As i posted in the other threads, the classes turned out to be great. Hugely time consuming but worth the effort. To meet other parents going through the licensing, to hear about their motivations, to learn about the process, to hear the horror stories - and occasionally a good one - for kids and foster parents alike, etc.

I'm still hopeful that we can do it. We're going to have to postpone the last home visit b/c of upcoming surgery that I'll have to have. With the holidays, we may not make it through the screening before the end of the year which as was my goal. Also, with the current econ disaster and concern about what's on the horizon, rising taxes, etc, I don't know that we can afford this. As it is, we'll be asking for donations for furniture and clothing from the neigborhood to supplement the pittance given by the state. (Can't believe that any foster parent with a heart actually sticks to that budget. That's almost criminal to expect a kid to be sustained on those pennies.) We're talking about downsizing - 25-50% savings on home costs - but that would require a move to a neighboring state which likely means starting classes/investigations from scratch. (My county does not allow families in VA to participate and I am pretty sure that they told us that VA and MD do not have reciprocal licenses.) If we have to start over, I don't know that my husband would go along with it. And if we have to give up a house for a condo, will be have the space?

Anyway, i think that despite the hurdles (like having to travel to the opposite end of the county to find a doctor who's willing to take the state health insurance) and heartbreak (like the stories of horrible birth parents getting their kids back after protracted adoption efforts by the foster parents), it is worth it. For some of the kids, even the few months in a sane, safe household may be enough to save their lives, to shape their minds (literally and figuratively) and put them on a better path. Once you're exposed to that potential, it's hard not to at least want to step in. Again, whether you (or we) do that is a bigger leap.
    Last edited by ibisgirldc; 11-17-2012 at 04:30 PM.

After some time of TTC, this finally came to my mind. What do you guys think? Should I? I am thinking of fostering for while I am TTC. Would it make things easier or should I just wait a little more?

choosehottubsdirect.com reviews
    Last edited by Eharry; 02-17-2013 at 08:51 PM.

Good luck! We plan on fostering again, way in the future, despite all our...I don't want to say negetive experiences because it really wasn't that. Just heartbreaking I guess. I also think you would make an awesome family for fostering.

Eharry I don't know that there is anything easy about fostering but it's really a magical kind of thing. Life changing for sure. If it's something you're really considering I would suggest looking into support groups in your area and meeting with a recruiter and they should be able to answer some of your questions and help you see if it's the direction you really want to go. GL!
    Julie, DH: W, DS: Mason, GGB Trips Amelia, Ellanor & Noah 9/10 - 3/11
    FFS "Baby C" 4/23 - 5/26 Sibs Q,Z,J & K

I think it's a fantastic idea! Definitely call your local dhs office for more info . There are lots of ways to get involved whether as a foster parent or helping out foster families/foster kids in other ways.

Thinking of you!

Keep us posted!
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Yay! Awesome! I hope it all works out for you! It's exhausting and very emotional, but what important decisions aren't right? We would never take back our decision or our time with Squeaker no matter what happens.

We're actually thinking, depending on results of upcoming LAP, to TTC while fostering. I think in some ways it could be difficult because we'll have the double stress, but I think it might take away from the TTC stress already having a child with us, and knowing that if she leaves we have a future planned if that makes sense. We'll see what happens. Good luck!
    MMC 4/12
    Leah (27) DH (30) Diagnosed PCOS and Stage 1 Endometriosis/Diagnosed CVID 2007

We start our Foster/Adoption classes tonight. We decided a while ago that we were open to infant or foster/adoption so we decided to go for it. We're not looking at becoming foster parents right now but that may change after we get into classes. We will definately be looking at it when Josy gets older. Right now with us wanting to grow our family I don't think we'd be able to handle a placement that wasn't going to be permanent. We know Josy would really stuggle with this. Good luck everyone!!!

Jess