Thread: first foods (ages 6 months+)

Default first foods (ages 6 months+)

We had shots the other day and the dr was talking about introducing solids and I was very surprised how the 'guidelines' and 'recommendations' have dramatically changed since DD1 (who is 5) was a baby. I know these recommendations are not the Be All End All for eating, but they made me very uneasy. Formally, babies never 'needed' anything besides breast milk (or formula) before a year, new recommendation is that after 6 months, breast milk isn't adequate on its own, there is not enough Iron so introducing iron rich foods is deemed vital for proper growth/development. There recommendation is meat as a first food, and NOT pureed foods, diced very fine (so basically, skip the spoon feeding if you can) encourage finger feeding right away. Also, eggs (yolks and whites) are recommended after 6 months..egg whites used to be huge no no due to allergies. Also, oranges and other citrus foods deemed okay after 6 months? thats new.
    I'm worried about choking and constipation, and when I told them that, they already had a pamphlet about reducing constipation.. and they said starting 6 months, babies 'should' eat 2-3 times a day! normally, I would give one food once and wait until its been though the digestive process, which takes days in our case... I am just curious what others are doing? What are you starting with? how much and what was the outcome if you have already started recently. Is anybody starting with MEAT? (health canada's recommendation)

The trio are 5, Jericho is 2 1/2....none of them started on meat. We did pureed sweet potato and avocado for our first foods. Jericho BF until 23 months also. They had their iron checked often and were never below where they should be. I would probably do what your are comfortable and agree with, and not worry about the rest.

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (5 1/2) and Jericho (3)
    My Blog!

Our pediatrician's recommendation was to wait 2-3 days between foods start at 6 months fruits or vegetables. Wait to 8 months for the meats.

Lindsay (25) James (32) Cody (5) Sophia (2)

I would follow your child's lead. My DD BF until she was 2, however, she refused to eat anything but BM until she was about 14-15 months. She was also a pudgy baby (in the 95%) so I never worried, I just took extra iron. She finally would grudgingly eat, but it had to have banana in it. Eventually she started eating at about 2 and now eats the same as everyone in the home. My sons were both different, DS1 I had to start him on solids at 6 months. He was a big baby and was only satisfied when he felt something solid in his tummy. DS2 didn't want solids until about 1yr. We figured out he wanted solids because he would try and take the food I was putting in my mouth. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Your baby will give you hints on when to introduce solids.

I started with rice cereal with both of mine, and then I believe bananas was the first baby food for both of them. And I started with the purees. Very soon after I would mash real banana in their rice cereal, but I was afraid of choking, even on a soft banana! lol Harrison will be 1 in 3 weeks, and our pamphlet about solids was the same one I got with Olivia who is almost 4 - start with veggies and fruits, trying one food at a time. (We didn't exactly follow that with Harrison, but that was what our doctor was recommending).

I know some moms skip the purees all together and basically go straight to finger foods. My sister sort of did this out of necessity. She tried for about 3 weeks to give her son purees, but he just spit them out all over her. He is a great eater if he can feed himself, and has been this way since about 7 months. So I agree to follow your instincts and your child's lead, and feed him what you think will be best.

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

Last time I did some cereal first then fruits/veggies and then meats closer to 8 months. This time...I am so not even going to bother with spoon feeding. It's such a mess and a PITA. We're going to do BLW all the way.
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I did babyled weaning with my youngest, and his first meal was a pork chop with softened apple and lemon slices and some green beans. So yes, meat was there and it was around 6 months. There have been more studies out recently that suggest introducing solids before four months or after six months is associated with a higher risk of developing Type I / juvenile diabetes. http://health.usnews.com/health-news...-diabetes-risk

We did baby led weaning, starting at about 6.5 months. We decided it was time to start when he started showing interest in what we were eating, and tried to get some himself. The first thing I gave him was baked sweet potato and then just took off from there. I think the first time he had meat was about a week after that. He usually eat whatever we're eating. If you don't have any allergies in your family, then its not generally a worry for the baby, but of course always be aware. DS eats anything I put on his tray without hesitation, and has since day one. Just follow your baby's lead, he'll let you know when he's ready.
    Jennifer

We also did baby led weaning and started solids around 7 months. I think more important than the exact age is whether they have reached the developmental milestones to start solids (which usually happens between 6-8 months). These include:
    * Baby can sit up well without support.
    * Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
    * Baby is ready and willing to chew.
    * Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
    * Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth. link

For DD1 we started with purees, but quickly learned about BLW and switched to that (LOVE it!). With DD2 her first food was banana, but that was because we were in the car RACING to the airport and didn't have time to stop and BF. We happened to have a banana in the car, so that was it! After that it was avocado. Since we did BLW, I almost never fed them with a spoon. They fed themselves and had a blast doing it.
    I do not give my little ones citrus foods because they always end up having acidic poopy diapers that burn their skin afterward. I also don't worry much about how often they eat solids per day, because breastmilk is their main source of nutrition until a year. Solid food until that point is more for introducing new tastes and textures and learning how to chew and swallow.
    Last edited by KC's wifey; 09-20-2013 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    I did babyled weaning with my youngest, and his first meal was a pork chop with softened apple and lemon slices and some green beans. So yes, meat was there and it was around 6 months. There have been more studies out recently that suggest introducing solids before four months or after six months is associated with a higher risk of developing Type I / juvenile diabetes. http://health.usnews.com/health-news...-diabetes-risk
    Oh wow, thanks for the link! Some very useful information. I will be sure to introduce wheat and barley while still breastfeeding.
    I just gave her some iron fortified whole grain rice cereal, 1 part cereal, 3 parts breast milk. Next, I am going to do chicken or fish, shredded with breast milk. Nurse mentioned to start 'savory' and not sweet, which never made sense cause breast milk is so sweet, but going to heed that advice as well.

as far as signs, she has seemed ready for a while now! though, she is teething so alot of signs may be linked to her need to grab and chew!

Quote Originally Posted by KC's wifey View Post
    We also did baby led weaning and started solids around 7 months. I think more important than the exact age is whether they have reached the developmental milestones to start solids (which usually happens between 6-8 months). These include:
    * Baby can sit up well without support.
    * Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
    * Baby is ready and willing to chew.
    * Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
    * Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth. link
    Yes all of this. We waiting until DS was doing all of these things before starting solids. Although he didn't have the pincer grasp yet when we started, but he got it pretty quickly. We started with slightly larger pieces of food (like French fry sized) initially until he got better at picking things up, this also helped him learn to take bites and chew. Now I do smaller pieces of food.
    Jennifer

They did recently change the recommended guidelines in Canada. We also did baby led solids/weaning for both kids. They did recently change the recommended guidelines in Canada. We also did baby led solids/weaning for both kids.