Thread: Need ideas - sleep issues in a young toddler

Default Need ideas - sleep issues in a young toddler

DS is almost 15 months old and has never slept through the night. I usually nurse him and put him back to bed. Lately, he hasn't been able to go back to sleep after he nurses. He then stays up in his crib on his own for 1+ hrs. I watch him on the monitor and I see that he is trying to get comfy, settle down, go back to sleep but he isn't able to. He then cries after about an hour, I come back and try and help him fall back asleep (nurse him again, rub his back, occasionally hold him, etc etc). It frequently happens during his midnight/1am feeding and 90% of the time for his 4am/5am feeding. I am incredibly sleep-deprived and I try to wake up at 4am to cook breakfasts, lunches, etc for my other kids and I can get nothing done. I haven't gotten more than 5 hours of broken sleep in weeks and I am absolutely exhausted. Let me add that I have never rocked him to sleep and put him awake in his crib since birth (99% of the time). He usually goes to bed at 7-7:30pm. He takes one nap around 11am for 1.5hrs-3hrs, usually around 2 hours. What am I missing here to help him sleep better? I am so desperate for help and ideas!

Well....he is a trained night feeder. 14 month olds don't need to eat during the night, which is not to say they don't want to. He is used to nursing at certain times so he wakes up, but nutritionally he no longer needs to eat, and he can't get restful sleep that way. By that age I am sorry to say you will probably need to do some sleep training. There is a book by Weissbluth, that I can't remember the name of, which will talk you through it. There will be crying involved, no way around that at his age. Sorry mom. Even if you do everything right some kids are just hard about sleep. Mine was awful, until we did 2 nights of crying it out at 18 months old, and she has been awesome ever since. Looking back I wish we had done it way earlier, but at the time it was the most horrendous thing I could imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by tapir View Post
    Well....he is a trained night feeder. 14 month olds don't need to eat during the night, which is not to say they don't want to. He is used to nursing at certain times so he wakes up, but nutritionally he no longer needs to eat, and he can't get restful sleep that way. By that age I am sorry to say you will probably need to do some sleep training. There is a book by Weissbluth, that I can't remember the name of, which will talk you through it. There will be crying involved, no way around that at his age. Sorry mom. Even if you do everything right some kids are just hard about sleep. Mine was awful, until we did 2 nights of crying it out at 18 months old, and she has been awesome ever since. Looking back I wish we had done it way earlier, but at the time it was the most horrendous thing I could imagine.
    this...

We are in the same boat... Mine is also 15 months old and still wakes to nurse at least once. I have noticed that he has been restless in general lately and I think its his teeth. He is just about to cut his incisors and has just been all around fussy for about a week. He also within the last few weeks has dropped from 2 naps to 1 and I think it has to do with that as well...
    Katie~
    DD1 (7) DD2 (4) DS1 (22 months) Baby #4 EDD 7/13/14

Are you opposed to taking him into bed with you? My 2.5 year old doesn't sleep through the night yet and I couldn't imagine actually having to get up and walk to another room to comfort/nurse him. I'd be exhausted! Sleep deprivation is so hard. I hope you find something that works for you and gets you more rest.

The biggest reason why I haven't stopped the night nursing and haven't done night training is because he is quite slim so during our last visit the doctor said we should keep doing the night feedings because he gets a few extra calories that way. So, I am not quite comfortable dropping the night feedings without talking to the doctor first to see how he is doing with his weight. Also, he doesn't nurse during the day so night time is my time for our cuddles. I don't mind the night time nursing, I just need him to go back to bed when he is done... And Bridget, definitely not an option to share a bed with us for multiple reasons so that route is out.

I understand. I hope someone has some ideas for you.

My 18 months also wakes up multiple times (to eat)- and sometimes has trouble falling back asleep ... And she is in our bed for most of the night. Just as FYI ... She is also very slim (5% for weight) and our pedi thought it was fine to cut out night feedings. I haven't done it yet b/c I keep hoping she will grow out of it on her own.

What developmental milestone is he working on right now? That could be what is keeping him awake at night, not the night feedings.

Well I almost could have written this one! Except I stopped nursing (for various reason but one being I thought she would finally STTN) and it didn't change a thing. Now I have to heat up a bottle instead of whipping out a boob. The odd thing imo is that mine wakes up at different times every night - usually an early one while I may still be awake (12:30ish) and a middle of the night one (3:30ish). But sometimes it's just one at 1:30 or 3:30. NOW she has started waking up WAY too early (was just going to start a post about this)! So 5:30/5:45 and she is up for the day. WILL NOT go back to sleep. I also put her in the crib fully awake and I can see her on the video monitor wake up occasionally and put herself back to sleep. So that is what I don't understand.

I don't see how CIO will help this since she has the ability to put herself to sleep. I/we are so exhausted and over the nightwakings. It's really taking it's toll. The problem is even if I were willing to CIO we have 2 other kids and tenants. I don't think it's doable. They may be moving out in Nov so maybe I would consider it then. DD3 is a tough cookie though. She cries LOUD and HARD. I don't know if I could handle CIO with her honestly.

To those who are saying to drop feedings - so what to do? Just not go in? Go in with water or something? Go in and rock a bit?

Sorry to hijack. I have no answers for you I also can't take mine into bed - she wont settle! This morning I took her out on the couch and cuddled with her hoping she would go back to sleep. All she did was toss and turn and cry for over 45 mins (and I was WITH HER!). I finally turned on the TV and she stared at it a bit and just started playing. I tried getting some sleep on the floor but gave up I too am desperate for help. This lack of sleep is making us both miserable. The early wake up totally messes up the day because I have a tight schedule with the other kids in school. She is so tired she will fall asleep in the car when I drop DD2 off and then it messes up her afternoon nap which ends up too late then I have to wake her to get DD3.....

FWIW I think mine has been teething for the past 6 months Not really sure what to do about it.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Wow, we are definitely in the same boat! Yesterday he took two naps since he was up before 5am and that allowed me to keep him up until 9:30pm as we went out. He woke up twice and went right back to bed and woke up at 7:30am!!!!! That can't happen on the regular basis because we have extra curricular activities for the girls mon-thur after school so two naps isn't an option...

Hmm, you ladies are making me think that all the people that say "it gets better!!" in response to my sleep issues with my infant are LIARS! Lol. I hope you OP and macksmom are able to find a resolution soon. Sleep deprivation is no fun.

Quote Originally Posted by kmrk336 View Post
    Hmm, you ladies are making me think that all the people that say "it gets better!!" in response to my sleep issues with my infant are LIARS! Lol. I hope you OP and macksmom are able to find a resolution soon. Sleep deprivation is no fun.

It really does get better..... eventually. It may never be "perfect", as in you may never again sleep like you did before having a child, but they don't continue waking up multiple - or even a dozen- times a night. They will at some point learn to settle them self back to sleep, even if it's not until they're a teenager