Thread: Unusual Cycle/Missed Period on Birth Control

concernedsocal Guest

Default Unusual Cycle/Missed Period on Birth Control

Hi, I apologize in advance that this is very long.

My girlfriend is on Birth Control (Loestrin 1.5/30) and takes it everyday at the same time, never forgets a pill. She had her last normal period on Oct 2nd, lasting to Oct 6th. She started her BC pack on Sunday Oct 7th as normal. We had unprotected sex on Tuesday Oct 9, Oct 11, 13, and 14. I did pull out on all of those and did not ejaculate inside her. Those were the only times this month we had sex. On Oct 15th, she had some unexpected bleeding, enough that she needed to use a tampon. She said it was enough to fill about 2/3 of the tampon. This bleeding happened every other day through that week (So she had light bleeding on Oct 15th, 17th, and 19th). Friday Oct 19th was the last day of it and it stopped.

On the night of Friday the 19th and 20th, she told me she had been urinating a little more frequently. She said it wasn't painful, but attributed it to a possible small UTI. By my count, she was only peeing about 6-7 times a day, which is about average for me too.

She started her placebo pills on Sunday Oct 28th, and we normally expect the period the Tuesday to Thursday following. No period came. No cramps or anything. She did start to develop some unusual painful sinus pressure under her right eye, and her eyes and sinuses would drain in the morning. This has persisted to today. On Nov 8th, she said she had some cramps, but no bleeding. On Nov 9th she said her nipples were a little sore. Just her nipples, her breasts were normal.

I asked her today, Nov 10th, if she was still urinating frequently. She said she felt like it hadnt changed. She said sometimes she will feel like she has to go bad, but then not much comes out. She also said shes had some mild nausea the past few weeks, comes and goes, but nothing really bad.

We are probably going to take a HPT within the next day. But we wanted to get others opinions. We figured missing your period on BC has got to be something unusual. We are pretty worried as we are not in a position to have a baby, and we figured we were being pretty good with her taking the pill everyday ontime, and me not ejaculating in her. (I know I know, theres still a possibility anytime you have sex)

Little Extra Background Info: Shes 21. She has typically regular periods. There was one period in June/July, where she got a really bad one, heavy cramps and bleeding, and then had another period just 2 weeks later again. All of this was on the Birth Control. Periods have been normal since then.

We are just really confused. With the light mid cycle bleeding just a week after she ended her period, and everything else. We have not had sex since Oct 14th since we were pretty confused with the mid cycle bleeding. Was that mid cycle bleeding another period? And maybe we should expect the next one on around Nov 12th? Ive read about the implantation bleeding and such, but everywhere says that it usually occurs a few days to a week before your period is expected, not 2 weeks before. By my count, shes 40 days since her last period started, and about 11 days late from when we expected her period. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Anything is possible, and people do get pregnant sometimes while on the pill even if they take it correctly. The only way to know is to test, and by now she would get an accurate result, so that's what I'd reccomend. Regardless of the result, she may want to make an appointment with her obgyn to figure out what's going on. Best of luck!
    Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by Adhafera View Post
    Anything is possible, and people do get pregnant sometimes while on the pill even if they take it correctly. The only way to know is to test, and by now she would get an accurate result, so that's what I'd reccomend. Regardless of the result, she may want to make an appointment with her obgyn to figure out what's going on. Best of luck!
    Yes I was going to say the same thing.

concernedsocal Guest

Ok so just an update.

Took a HPT today, came up Not Pregnant. We are a little relieved because we know we aren't ready for a little one yet (someday though definitely). Shes 45 days since the start of her last period. And 17 days late from when we expected her period to start. The HPT tests are pretty accurate when you are that late correct?

Regardless, we will be setting up an appt with her doctor very soon to see whats causing this.

Yes, the test should be accurate by now. At this point, she should definitely make an appointment with her doctor asap to find out what's going on. Good luck.
    Jennifer

Blog Entries

Are you sure that she is taking the pills correctly? I thought that you took a pill everyday unless you have a pack that you take for three weeks, stop one week and then start again. Is that the kind that she is on?

I would consider the bleeding of Oct 15 -19 to be a period personally.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

concernedsocal Guest

JJorn,

Yeah shes taking them correctly. Same time everyday, even has an alarm set on her iphone to remind her everyday. Her BC is the kind you take everyday for 3 weeks, then you have 1 week of placebos. She normally gets her period on the 2nd or 3rd placebo pill.