Thread: Diaper covers

Default Diaper covers

Can anyone recommend good sites for covers? I have some AIO's and some pockets but for the most part I want to do prefolds and covers. I have a local store where I plan to buy diaper service quality pre-folds used at a great price. Piper was a really tiny baby, 5lbs 9oz and remianed pretty tiny. She was always in the 25% for weight and went up and down in height but was always below the 50%. Hoping some of you have experience with ones that are better for little babies. TIA!!

Mommy to Piper 6/5/09 and an 11/2011
    Make a pregnancy ticker

I have zero experience with tiny babies, but I love Blueberry/swaddlebees covers the best. To use from the start, you probably need to find sized ones. I started with the BB mini-coveralls with snaps and loved them, but not sure if they would be small enough for an itty, itty bitty. I've heard the Rumparooz covers fit really small too. I know our RaR pocket can get pretty tiny. I LOVE Weehuggers but they are discontinued. If you can find any of the size 1 solid colors (the prints aren't as good imo) they might fit once the cord is gone and still fit DD3 now at 15.5lbs.
    ~ Shannon
    Michael, Married October, 2003
    Jessica, June 2005 ~ Kyle, September 2007 ~ Michaela, March 2010 ~ Abigail, June 2012

I do have AIO's in the RaR. They are so cute and are rated for 5 pounds and have the belly button fold down. My cousin loves the GroVia but they are so stinking expensive.... Maybe I will head to the green store here and search for some more used ones. They were selling them for $10 there. I'll start using the covers when she gets big enough...

Thanks for the input! I'm hoping there are some awesome black Friday deals

Make a pregnancy ticker

I have read a lot of really positive reviews of Thirsties duo wraps. I bought one to use over a fitted and it seems really high quality. There is a double leg gusset which might work well with little legs. Smallest starts 7 lbs for a size 1.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

My cousin recommended thirsties too! I need to start stalking for the black Friday sales.

Make a pregnancy ticker

Thirsties duos are good but I don't like the trim. BB capris and Weehuggers are basically the same but pul trim. I don't think any of the that are sold as sizes 1 and 2 would work with the cord stump. Snap versions might, but probably not. You could use sposies or go coverless though. I posted pics a few months ago of my almost 9 lb baby in them. All of them, including the thirsties are good, I just prefer the mini coveralls, capris or weehuggers.
    ~ Shannon
    Jessica, June 2005 ~ Kyle, September 2007 ~ Michaela, March 2010 ~ Abigail, June 2012

I have a couple of thirsties and they were excellent. No leaks!

Good to hear Bridget since that is what I have been buying!!!

I have to say too in terms of cuteness.....I had my MIL over this weekend and showed her the 10 thirsties I have gotten so far and she couldn't believe how cute and ingenious they are. So much different than what she used on my DH. She was like, they should make these for adults. LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I thought about going cover less too for those first few weeks. I just don't want to invest a ton of money. I like the idea of CD for the cost saving and this I've been very careful about purchasing used and choosing the inserts and covers. Can I do just a prefold without a cover? My first DD was in preemie diapers and clothes. My mom had small babies, mine was small....lots of cousins with tiny babies. I would be surprised if I had a baby bigger than 6 pounds. I'm excited about this though!! I also want to get my wipes purchased.....the nesting is in full effect!
    Last edited by Babidol; 11-10-2012 at 08:24 AM.

Make a pregnancy ticker

a prefold would need a cover. I am using more pockets now but used flip diapers and really liked them. I like the inserts they sell for flip diapers but good prefolds will work well too, they probably would be big on a brand new baby though.

If you fold and fasten a pf you could go coverless at first. By about a week though Abigail was wetting too much to go coverless though. I would probably get 3 or 4 nb or xs covers with a scoop for the cord. It sounds like you'd get plenty of use out of them. Then get some of the other larger ones for once the cord is gone.
    ~ Shannon

Sakura Guest

I love thirsties covers. I started with the XS and then ended up moving right to the duo size 2. I think they say the size 2 starts at 18 lbs, but we started when our kids were around 14 lbs and they worked fine.

I counted today and I have 7 AIO'S, and I bought some preemie prefolds and a fastener at the green store. I have 8 sun baby pockets but man they seem huge! My first dd didn't 6 pounds until like 5-6 weeks so I know I'll use them. I plan to keep checking the green store but I'm hoping to also get some of the tiny covers and prefolds in the next month or so. I'm feeling the stress of being ready. Lol. I looked at thirsties covers today and they seemed reasonable at $11. I'm hoping my lady re-stocks soon so I can snag a few. Thanks for the help!

Make a pregnancy ticker

Wow, the swaddlebees have the cutest newborn AIO's and the blueberry covers are insanely cute!! I'll be stalking that site.

Make a pregnancy ticker

Every once in a while bb is on babysteals. Also sign up for their news letter so you know when they have clearance sales. That's how I got most of mine. If the green store doesn't stock soon, Black Friday will be a great chance to order the thirsties.
    ~ Shannon

We'll chat. I'm clearing out my newborn covers. I have thirsties, imse whatever, those fleece ones I bought there, some other no name pul cover. I liked the thirsties best. I started them at 6 lbs & they would have worked smaller. Green mountain diapers has one of the most informative sites on covers & sizing.

Who does black Friday deals on diapers? I have about half what I need in the size ones. Would love to finish that out at a bit cheaper price.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I really liked the thirsties sized covers for new babies. I also really liked proraps and they are very affordable. Proraps also come in premie for smaller babies. I got all of my thirsties covers from the outlet store and they are still holding up good and they have been through 2 babies.
    http://www.thirstiesoutlet.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1

http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_...roducts_id=284
    Last edited by hollyn; 11-12-2012 at 08:30 AM.

As far as small diapers if you can find someone making VeryBaby diapers they are great in the newborn size for a small baby. I made 8 of them to use on L as a new born. She was almost 8lbs so she didn't wear them very long at all. They would fit a smaller baby great.

For newborns, I bought a few of the Bummis newborn covers. I only had 5, but it worked out fine. They dry really quickly. Once she was big enough to move into a one-size, I got the Flip covers, and we still use those. No complaints. We also tried Thirsties Duowraps, but I didn't care for the way those fit her.
    D-Mama (37) D-Dada (43) and D-Baby (11/02/2011)

Thanks ladies!

Make a pregnancy ticker