Thread: (worried) They could not see or hear my baby

Default (worried) They could not see or hear my baby

I am suppose to be 9 weeks and 1 day; I had my first visit to the hospital. The doctor did not see or hear my baby heart beat. I was told that, the calculation of my pregnancy could be off or I'm having/had/going to miscarry. The sac/yolk was visible but no sign of the baby. I was really excited and now I'm very sad and worried. Has anyone experience this before.

So sorry you're going through a scary time. Is it possible that you miscalculated the date you got pregnant?

What has your dr. suggested? I'd say it would be appropriate at this point to have another ultrasound in a week or two to see if the baby has grown or developed a heartbeat?

Best of luck!!!

I would ask for a quantitative HCG. They tend to be more indicative of what's going on in there. You need 2 of them about 48 hours apart. I had a blighted ovum last year where only a sac and yolk sac developed, never a baby. Not to say that is the case here, I don't want to scare you. I was very sure of my dates and my HCG was declining. I ended up with a D&C at 10 weeks. Hoping your dates are just off. Good Luck!

Mommy to Piper 6/5/09 and an 11/2011
    Make a pregnancy ticker

Wishnat, The doctor schedules another ultra sound in a week. He says if there still is no heart beat in a week then it could be an early sign of a miscarriage. Thank you for your post

Babidol, I read up on the D&C and the doctor did mention something about my option to miscarry at home or to do it at the hospital. Thanks for the post because after I read it, I did some research and it helped me understand what he was trying to explain to me. I pray that my ovulation is just off.

I'm sorry! How stressful for you! It is going to be a long week how long ago did you find out you were pregnant?

Hope you are ok!
    Me (34), DH (36), DS1, DS2 & 1 Angel (1/17/2012)

I found out on Oct 3. My last cycle was 31 Aug; I'm pretty sure that is correct. I'm hoping that the ovualation time was off. I told my husband that I was ok and that if it's meant to be then it would be but I couldnt sleep last night. I'm having a hard time maintaining a positive attuide. I didnt have a good feeling at the hospital. They obviously didnt finish my appointment and I felt like they kick me out. They didnt literally kick me out, but emotional I wanted more from the doctor I and didnt know what questions to ask until I left the hospital.

I felt that way too. With my miscarriage I went to a new OB who didn't do the scans in her office. I had to go to a different place. It took them 4 days to call me back and then she was very unhelpful. I ended up going to my current OB for a 2nd opinion who was fantastic. The u/s machine was in the office so the tech called him in, made him look and then after I was dressed he invited me into his office. I've never actually seen the inside of a doctor's actual office and not just an exam room. He's fabulous and I felt so much better. He was great when I thought I was going to miscarry again this time. Don't hesitate to ask for a 2nd opinion or demand better care. Fingers crossed this turns out ok.

Make a pregnancy ticker

Quote Originally Posted by Babidol View Post
    I felt that way too. With my miscarriage I went to a new OB who didn't do the scans in her office. I had to go to a different place. It took them 4 days to call me back and then she was very unhelpful. I ended up going to my current OB for a 2nd opinion who was fantastic. The u/s machine was in the office so the tech called him in, made him look and then after I was dressed he invited me into his office. I've never actually seen the inside of a doctor's actual office and not just an exam room. He's fabulous and I felt so much better. He was great when I thought I was going to miscarry again this time. Don't hesitate to ask for a 2nd opinion or demand better care. Fingers crossed this turns out ok.
    My miscarriage was like this too.. well I had a scan on a day that there were no doctors in the office, just the tech. She found the fetal pole and fetus but there was no bloodflow to the fetus and no heartbeat, I was 11W but there was no development past 8W5D It was clear to my DH and I that this was not good but she didn't say a word, just clicked everything off and said she would be right back. I was a mess and she came back with a MOA and told me that I was going to miscarry that there was no viability and there was no doctor here to discuss anything with but gave me the DR on calls card/number so that if I started having complications I could call. I was such a mess and I was sooooooooooooooooooo angry at everyone there it felt so unproffesional to be told by an us tech and an medical assistant that my baby hadn't made it and try to discuss what would happen during the loss.. they really didn't have much information.

They set up an appt for Monday with the real Dr. He was amazing and did another US in his office, he was extremely caring and apologetic for the expirence I had. We sat in his office for almost an hour talking about various outcomes/options and possible causes. He made me feel more comfortable and though I cried non stop it felt okay. I took the cytotec at home with another drug, but never expelled the fetus or had any bleeding. So I had to have the D&C which he did.. unfortunetly when I chose the pill option it extended the whole process by another week. I wish I would have just opted for a DC to begin with and started healing sooner.

I hope for the best for you and your family! This is such a stressful time and I can totally understand what you are going through. I hope you get some answers soon.

Thank you so much for your comments. I am praying but tryiny to prepare myself for either. I truely hope the ovualation dates are off but even if they are i think that would only set me one week back. If I am 8 weeks instead of 9 weeks shouldnt there still be a visible heart beat? I thought heart beats can sometime be seen at 61/2 to 7 weeks. I called back to the clinic where i had my original blood work. My HCG level was 219 (about 4w 2d) on Oct 3. I wish the doctor would have test my HCG level when I was at the hospital on Monday.

(((Hugs)))!!! I would call and request a quantative HCG...you shouldn't have to wait a week without them at least doing something. Thinking of you! Kup!

I waited that week and went back for a second opinion. That's when the u/s showed no growth and they went ahead with the beta. My numbers went from 16,000 to 13,000 over 3 days, indicative of a m/c. Do you have regular periods? Do you keep track of ovulation? In my situation I was very certain of ovulation as well. Anything is possible.

I too would request to have betas done, it will tell you pretty definitively what is going on.

Finding out on Oct 3 doesn't leave much wiggle room for it to be too early you would have been at least 3.5wks to show + on a test, so 4wks later could put you around 7+wks. Did they do a transvaginal u/s?

Anything is possible though! A friend of mine went in at 10/11wks and didn't have a heart beat. She wanted to miscarry naturally so just waited. She still hadn't started miscarrying 2wks later so she scheduled a D and C. She asked for an ultrasound before the procedure because she just needed closure. And there was her baby kicking and squirming, measuring exactly as he should at 13wks.

Quote Originally Posted by runningmomofmany View Post
    I too would request to have betas done, it will tell you pretty definitively what is going on.

Finding out on Oct 3 doesn't leave much wiggle room for it to be too early you would have been at least 3.5wks to show + on a test, so 4wks later could put you around 7+wks. Did they do a transvaginal u/s?

Anything is possible though! A friend of mine went in at 10/11wks and didn't have a heart beat. She wanted to miscarry naturally so just waited. She still hadn't started miscarrying 2wks later so she scheduled a D and C. She asked for an ultrasound before the procedure because she just needed closure. And there was her baby kicking and squirming, measuring exactly as he should at 13wks.
    That is an AMAZING story!!!!!!

Yeah, I'd ask for hcg beta again too. It sounds like you really need some answers! Good luck. Don't be afraid to advocate for yourself!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tigger View Post
    Thank you so much for your comments. I am praying but tryiny to prepare myself for either. I truely hope the ovualation dates are off but even if they are i think that would only set me one week back. If I am 8 weeks instead of 9 weeks shouldnt there still be a visible heart beat? I thought heart beats can sometime be seen at 61/2 to 7 weeks. I called back to the clinic where i had my original blood work. My HCG level was 219 (about 4w 2d) on Oct 3. I wish the doctor would have test my HCG level when I was at the hospital on Monday.
    Sorry Tigger, this must be tough to just sit and wonder through. Hopefully you ovulated super late. Just try to understand everything you can about the healing process (including emotionally)of D&C and natural miscarriage. I choose 2 natural mc for Many reasons but for some the procedure is better. Make sure to write down all your questions before going to the doc in case you no longer have a clear head when your there.

Hope your situation turns out positive though! Keep us posted. Good luck!
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(28)DH(39) DSD-(18) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

Wanted to say kind of like the story above... one of my good friends had the same thing happen that you're having Tigger... they told her there was a yolk sak but no baby and that there should be... she was checked again a few weeks later and there was her son - totally visible and with a nice strong, obvious heartbeat. She wasn't off at all on her dates either. I think sometimes they just can't see what they want because of your body or the way the baby is... I mean we are talking about seeing something smaller than a grain of rice at that point. Hope it turns out well for you - don't give up yet!

I went to my appointment and they say that it looks much better and that the yolk sac was fully developed. First of all I thought it was fully developed the last time. I don’t know so confusing. She thinks she saw the fetal pole but it was very small (CRL measures 5W6D); GS measure 8W6D. There still was no heartbeat. I have to come back next week.

Hopefully you have the opportunity to read my message from today. They would not do any blood work. Yes a transvaginal u/s was done.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that things continuing progressing. It's weird they won't do bloodwork. My yolk sac continued growing too but was abnormally large by 8 weeks. But there was never a fetal pole. Good luck!

Make a pregnancy ticker

Quote Originally Posted by Babidol View Post
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed that things continuing progressing. It's weird they won't do bloodwork. My yolk sac continued growing too but was abnormally large by 8 weeks. But there was never a fetal pole. Good luck!
    I would insist on the HCG for some peace of mind, and agree that it is kinda weird they won't do it.

Thanks for KUP! I'm sending you positive vibes that everything is ok!

I also agree it is weird they wouldn't check hcg levels. I think I would insist on some more information. If the U/S is correct, you found out you were pregnant before you conceived. Obviously something isnt right here.

I know; it doesnt make sense. thanks ladies. I will continue to push for blood work and if it was simple I would switch hospitals but its not that easy. I'm military.

Tigger wishing you much luck and I have my fingers and toes crossed for you

Tigger - if you need to talk about issues with MIL medicine please feel free to PM me. Been dealing with Tricare and MIL hospitals for a while now! I know a few key words to get Dr's and PA's off their butts and moving!

Hello,

I was wondering; did your stomach still grow and did you gain any weight before you had the D&C? Oh and congrats on you going into T3!!!!

I had weight gain and growth but the pregnancy symptoms started going. Like I didn't crave or want any food in particular, tiredness went away, smell went away. The only thing that stayed were my sore boobs and that lasted until after my D&C.

Thank you.

Make a pregnancy ticker

Ladies,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write and respond to my messages. You really help get me through these pass few weeks. Unfornanately, things did not go as plan and I have a D&C schedule for Tuesday. Much love to everyone. Thanks.

I am so very sorry. Sending healing vibes for you. Feel free to vent or ask questions in here or there's a room for pregnancy and infant loss. Big hugs.

thank you.

Thinking of you tigger and your family.